Apple Makes GREAT Gaming Computers

CPotter

I think what's funny is the mac itself was always capable of gaming even back to 1998 , but it more or less a user/developer/apple problem of them not caring

They sure do! I had a blast on my Power Mac 7600 back in the day.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Great video, but you guys also missed PlayCover - a piece of software that allows you to play games for iOS/iPadOS that are blocked on macOS. The setup is a little bit janky, and for intensive games it sure does get hot, but it's hands down the best way to play not natively supported apps on Apple Silicon. You are basically playing a mobile app on a supersized iPad (without touchscreen, of course. Damn you, Apple). It even has 120Hz support, due to the fact that the "emulator" reports itself as an iPad Pro 11" (2018).

The only somewhat ethically problematic thing is that you will have to install games using decrypted IPAs. These are basically compressed installers of applications from the app store, and needs to be decrypted to be installed on, for example, on another phone using a different Apple ID, or as PlayCover does it, on macOS.

Once set up with keymapping, PlayCover is without a doubt the best performing alternative except for native support. You don't need to translate from x86-64 (or whichever variant of the name you like to use) and run the games using the full power of the SoC.

Seemed like an interesting video, but then turned fast into a "hurr durr apple bad" bs and that's where everything lost credibility. It's kind of pathetic what kind of nonsense Linus and their writers have been lately producing just to get a free ride on the "anti apple" train. It seemed most of the 12 y.o internet trolls have moved on, but apparently LTT is still full of them.

22 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

Seemed like an interesting video, but then turned fast into a "hurr durr apple bad" bs and that's where everything lost credibility. It's kind of pathetic what kind of nonsense Linus and their writers have been lately producing just to get a free ride on the "anti apple" train. It seemed most of the 12 y.o internet trolls have moved on, but apparently LTT is still full of them.

I'm not sure if it lost credibility, much like how for security and servers aren't very good on Windows it's kind of been known for a long time that video games aren't really well-supported on Apple's desktop/laptops.

The type of general audience that is required to be targeted for most LTT videos means you are unlikely to get too many videos talking aboutwhy MacOS being Unix based helps with certain stuff and there's Mac Address that will make videos about a variety of apple topics so if there was to be a video about why it is that Apple has much better audio stuff then Windows it would be there(similar to the discussion about the Apple Pencil.)

A great kill a short period of time game that works on the m1 macs is Vampire Survivors. Only $3 on steam.

28 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

I'm not sure if it lost credibility, much like how for security and servers aren't very good on Windows it's kind of been known for a long time that video games aren't really well-supported on Apple's desktop/laptops.

The type of general audience that is required to be targeted for most LTT videos means you are unlikely to get too many videos talking aboutwhy MacOS being Unix based helps with certain stuff and there's Mac Address that will make videos about a variety of apple topics so if there was to be a video about why it is that Apple has much better audio stuff then Windows it would be there(similar to the discussion about the Apple Pencil.)

I didn't mean the gaming aspect, but rather how Linus is again rubbing himself off and let's be honest - absolutely b*tching about the power cable on a monitor and other actual non-issues until you make them into issues yourself. At which point they are arbitrary issues. It's like they cannot make a civilized educational video without some BS these days. But I guess attracting all the 12 year olds for free views and likes is the new meta.

1 minute ago, Just that Mario said:

I didn't mean the gaming aspect, but rather how Linus is again rubbing himself off and let's be honest - absolutely b*tching about the power cable on a monitor and other actual non-issues until you make them into issues yourself. At which point they are arbitrary issues.

Here lemme go get you a cat and oh no! It broke the cable! Enjoy the $1600 desk weight until you send it in.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Does anyone know what program he used to display wattage used and CPU Temps on the menu bar? 

4 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

I didn't mean the gaming aspect, but rather how Linus is again rubbing himself off and let's be honest - absolutely b*tching about the power cable on a monitor and other actual non-issues until you make them into issues yourself. At which point they are arbitrary issues.

Power cable thing seems like a none issue until it becomes an issue, and I think that's the point Linus is trying to ram home.

A naughty pet cat/dog, or a cable caught under the casters of a chair or set of desk drawers when reorganising an office layout... it's actually pretty easy to imagine ways that that cable can get damaged.

That said, personally I'm disappointed about the Studio display for reasons other than the cable.

I currently go between Windows and MAC os for school.

Adobe apps (for me) are a less pain on windows machines.(adobe apps crash on ethier) clear CACHEs do help)

One of my games (OSU) is actually playable on MAC.

But on the flip side macs are way easier to do Audio stuff, drivers are easy and not a pain and doesn't crash often.

Since I do both video and audio work I use both windows and mac devices.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

28 minutes ago, WillR said:

Does anyone know what program he used to display wattage used and CPU Temps on the menu bar? 

I'm wondering this too. If you find out post it here.

1 hour ago, Just that Mario said:

Absolutely! I gamed 5 years exclusively on a Macbook Pro and enjoyed every minute of it. Just fire up boot camp, install Windows and you're good to go. Who cares if games don't support Mac OS?

2 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Absolutely! I gamed 5 years exclusively on a Macbook Pro and enjoyed every minute of it. Just fire up boot camp, install Windows and you're good to go. Who cares if games don't support Mac OS?

That isn't possible on any Apple Silicon Macs, which was basically the main point of the video. You can't just install Windows on your M1 MacBook Pro like you could on an older Intel Mac, so if it doesn't run on macOS you'll have to find other options. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

50 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

Power cable thing seems like a none issue until it becomes an issue, and I think that's the point Linus is trying to ram home.

A naughty pet cat/dog, or a cable caught under the casters of a chair or set of desk drawers when reorganising an office layout... it's actually pretty easy to imagine ways that that cable can get damaged.

That said, personally I'm disappointed about the Studio display for reasons other than the cable.

As a bunny owner, non-removable cables are a non-starter. 😛

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, emosun said:

I think what's funny is the mac itself was always capable of gaming even back to 1998 , but it more or less a user/developer/apple problem of them not caring

I'm sorry gaming? 🤣

You are not wrong at the last part, you do need a strong computer to do a lot of things macs are well known to do, they just have the persona that they are not meant for gaming. Personally I wouldn't run out and buy a mac just to game on it however.

49 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

As a bunny owner, non-removable cables are a non-starter. 😛

*Stops petting bunny while listening to music*

Bunny: *CHOMP*

Me: 😭

Rabbits can be some of the biggest A-holes you'll ever meet in life...

21 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

*Stops petting bunny while listening to music*

Bunny: *CHOMP*

Me: 😭

Rabbits can be some of the biggest A-holes you'll ever meet in life...

My Bunny kind of wound up in my care when my sister moved out, so I never really had a bunny-safe environment set up for her. 

Should've seen the bunny bully our chihuahua though. Funniest thing ever. The bunny reveled having someone lower than itself on the food chain. 

My eyes see the past…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Should've seen the bunny bully our chihuahua though. Funniest thing ever. The bunny reveled having someone lower than itself on the food chain. 

Chihuahuas are basically the cowards of the dog world(at least the ones I've known), fear of everything and either bit or pee on fright, I always mocked them growing up till I was around them, decent pets (still won't own one tho). That said not sure if rabbits have balls of steel or are just downright stupid at times, I've had one go and bug a yellow lab that hated being bugged by anyone/thing unless it felt like it, and also went to say hi to a King German Shepperd who just arrived (who stayed for a few months till we found a new owner), it escaped from its safe area just to say hi, similarly to how we got the Shepperd (old owner didn't want to deal with the nonstop runaway)...

Supporting Vulcan is not the saliva bullet that would result in lots of AAA titles running well on these Macs.

TBIR vs TBDR GPUs
Modern AAA games rendering pipelines are optimised for Tile-Based-Immediate-Rendering GPUs, this is the pipeline that AMD, Nvidia and Intel use in there GPUs.  Apple gpus build heavily on PowerVRs IP and are thus Tile-Based-Deferred-Rendering GPUs. While you can take a rendering engine optimised for TBIR and run it on a modern TBDR gpu it is not going to run very well and you will be leaving 20 to 50% of the performance on the table, or even more if your looking at high frame rate gaming were a TBDR gpus can have massive advantages.

Vulcan does support many TBDR features but AAA games that use Vulcan do not use these features and im my experience porting a rendering pipeline from TBIR to TBDR is orders of magnitude harder than porting from VK to Metal.  To make good use of the TBDR gpu you need to completely re-think your rendering pipeline, you need to go back to the drawing board, even considered what visual effects you should use (some effects are much more costly on TBDR gpus but others are much cheaper on TBDR than TBIR so there will be effects you opted to not include in your TBIR pipeline that would be almost free in your TBIR). This optimisation is not just at the pipeline stage but even at the input mess and scenes/envovment stage were the tradeoffs and cost of pre-culling obscured objects in the scene changes a LOT. 

Furthermore VKs TBDR apis are quite limited compared to metals so you would still be limited, in particular for high frame rate lot latency engines such as competitive online gaming. Sure apple could add a load of their own extensions to VK but devs would need to use these and at some point (rather quickly) shoe horning in these features into VK just leads to way more technical debt. There are a load features in Metal that would require a lot of bending of the VK spec to support.

VK is an api that is designed by committee to be the least worst compromise between hardware vendors. However on very single hardware platform it is sub-optimal, just like OpenCL vs CUDA. While OpenCL runs on Nvidia GPUs its performance is very lack-lustre compared to CUDA that has been developed by Nvidia to line-up with the hardware support of the GPUs they sell.

The only way I see Mac gaming taking off is for game devs to see is as a viable strong market. 

I think the best way for this would be for apple to partner with a small number of e-sports titles and work with them to provide extremely optimised support for macOS and apple hardware so as to get to a point were the input to screen update latency on these games is orders of magnitude smaller than anything your going to get on PC. (this is the sort of thing apple are very good at if they set their minds to, having full hardware software stack controle). 

Such a move would overnight pull the pro-gamers to using Macs as it would give them a edge in competitions.  Pro-gamers will accept not having RGB if it gives them 30ms better input latency, they will accept only being able to play that one game they play competitive since this is already the case that they buy dedicated systems for each game. 

If apple were to get even just 2 or 3 big e-sports games to the point were thier hardware provided the best competitive edge that would result in a lot gamers considering the platform and would then create the market for other devs to put in the effort. 

4 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Here lemme go get you a cat and oh no! It broke the cable! Enjoy the $1600 desk weight until you send it in.

your aware the cable is removable right? Linus removed it on the WAN show, its just like the HomePod cables were you can remove it and apple will even give you a replacement cable but due to not using a standard socket (there is non that is that thin) they cant legaly say is removable and still sell it without going through a ton of certification of a new main voltage power plug/socket. 

I like how these threads always just turn into shit flinging

As of recently getting a Mac for the first time, I now use everything

E8AE975B-41E9-404D-9EF2-013DA7BC3B13.thumb.jpeg.e812444ae50ffebb6e858e8364412d02.jpeg

all computers are shit 

every operating system sucks

every company sucks

there is no machine without flaws, but everything has its values and strong points alongside its weak points 

I’ve used it all, with the exception of apple M1 silicon which I’m looking at now, everything sucks

just pick whatever suck you personally prefer 

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

I like how these threads always just turn into shit flinging

As of recently getting a Mac for the first time, I now use everything

E8AE975B-41E9-404D-9EF2-013DA7BC3B13.thumb.jpeg.e812444ae50ffebb6e858e8364412d02.jpeg

all computers are shit 

every operating system sucks

every company sucks

there is no machine without flaws, but everything has its values and strong points alongside its weak points 

I’ve used it all, with the exception of apple M1 silicon which I’m looking at now, everything sucks

just pick whatever suck you personally prefer 

Only the Avatar, master of all four Operating Systems (Windows, Mac, Linux, Amiga 😛) can save the internet.

My eyes see the past…