The Prettiest Gaming Setup - Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade

SeanLMG

Love the video! Anyone know what desk that is? I love the white aesthetic and rounded corners.

I've been looking forward to this one. I had no idea Sarah and Jake were a thing. The 6" joke is the best joke in this entire video. And I agree, Arlo stole the show. Jake's cat is just too puurrrrrrdy.

11 hours ago, emosun said:

I have a pet peeve about just another regular bolt together black/white rgb build still being considered pretty. I read the title and got wayyyy too excited

Why spend time on something that you will never look at for more than a few seconds? If you are using your gaming computer, chances are you are playing video games. Video games tend to be interactive. I never understood people bragging about how good their setup looks. OhHHh, bUT I HAvE mORe RGb! It reminds me way too much of the whole GIANT spinner rims thing.

image.png.6f95e2b9f6260af40b40e10408c432c7.png

image.png.2180699a3cd4d6147de7fba7a69cc658.png

"Deja vu! I feel like I've been in this place before!"

I paid extra for RGB RAM! I'm not a real gamer, I just stare at spinny fans for hours on end! OOOOOOH look! pretty lights! 

Sounds a lot like a ricer talking about his 2002 honda civic he got from his uncle with 300k miles on it, that he decided to put a fat $1500 exhaust on, despite that being the entire value of the car.

I get aesthetics, and PCs like the one Linus made for Wintergatan are cool, because they take time and effort to make. Kinda like Austin Evan's F1 rim PC (a bit garish, but creative/unique). There are so many examples of tasteful cases and PCs, but the whole RGB thing isn't one of them. 

image.png

19 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

who are you talking to

Just now, emosun said:

who are you talking to

Myself mostly. Needed to say that really,

There was the underlying statement of, "Who cares, it's not like you are staring at your PC the whole time you game."

Just now, DANK_AS_gay said:

Myself mostly. Needed to say that really,

There was the underlying statement of, "Who cares, it's not like you are staring at your PC the whole time you game."

True , it's a good thing people haven't tried making cars look good because it's not like you can look at it while you drive.

Idk why I bother putting makeup on if I can't look at it without a mirror

/s

22 minutes ago, emosun said:

True , it's a good thing people haven't tried making cars look good because it's not like you can look at it while you drive.

Idk why I bother putting makeup on if I can't look at it without a mirror

/s

With cars it makes a bit more sense for the manufacturers to do this, as the better it looks the more buyers. With makeup I suppose it's the same idea, but it's more of a sensitive topic, so I don't want to claim I know your motives.

For me, doing things for the looks never worked. My truck is lifted. Not to the point where is serves no benefit, but only 2-3 inches, maybe 5 given my lack of depth estimation ability. It has a bullbar, because I live in the northern part of the US, where snow is frequent, it helps protect the truck. It has offroad suspension, which I plan on actually using offroad (once I get the front axles replaced). Every mod is for a reason. For me, it is the same way with looks. Everything I wear is for a reason. the way I have things is for a reason. That's why I like functional builds like the wintergatan pc (functional is a stretch, but it sort of works). That's why I hate spinner rims. That's why I hate RGB. 

Also, staring at your pc the whole time you game was not literal. I was saying that ultimately, it doesn't matter how fancy your pc looks if it has a gt 210 in it.

I loved this tech upgrade for so many reasons—the Starbucks prank feels so old school LTT; she chose parts that felt very measured for her needs and her aesthetics; her place is so nice and oh my gosh I am jealous of how clean it is; I also loved all the cat content. 

Computers

Spoiler

Home Desktop: [CPU] AMD Ryzen 9 5900X [MB] ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI II [RAM] G.Skill Trident-Z Neo 32GB 3600MHz (2x16GB) [GPU] ASUS TUF Radeon 6900XT [BOOT] Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVME [STORAGE] Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB SSD; Inland Performance Plus 1TB (Phison E18) PCIe Gen 4x4 [AIO] Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX (Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste) [PSU] Corsair RM850X; Corsair Pro PSU Cable Kit [CASE] Lian Li O11-Dynamic [MOUNT] EK-Loop Vertical GPU Holder (PCIE 3.0 Riser Cable) [FANS] Corsair ML120 (3x); Corsair LL120 (3x); Noctua A12x15 (3x); Corsair Commander Pro XT Fan/RGB Controller
-----
Work Desktop: [CPU] AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT [MB] Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi [RAM] G.Skill Trident-Z Neo 32GB 3600MHz (2x16GB) [GPU] EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 XC Ultra [BOOT] Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVME [STORAGE] WD Black 2TB HDD [PCIE] ASUS PCE-C2500 2.5G Base-T [AIO] NZXT Kraken X63 (Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste) [PSU] Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850w [CASE] NZXT H510 Flow [FANS] NZXT Aer P 140mm (2x); Noctua NF-P12 Redux 120mm (2x); NZXT Fan/RGB Controller
-----
Laptop: MAINGEAR ELEMENT (2019) [CPU] Intel i7-9750H [RAM] Kingston HyperX 32GB 2666MHz (2x16GB) [BOOT] 2TB Intel 660p NVME [GPU] Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q [DISPLAY] 15.6" 1080p 144hz Display

Peripherals, Network, Desk Setup

Spoiler

Peripherals: [MONITOR] LG 32GK650F-B* | Dell P2417H (2x) [M] Razer Naga Pro* | Razer Naga Trinity [KB] See Custom Mechanical Keyboards Section [HEADPHONES] Sennheiser HD600; Sennheiser HD560S; HiFiMan HE400SE; AKG K371; Moondrop Kato IEM [DAC/AMP] SMSL DO100 DAC*; SMSL HO100 AMP*; Schiit Fulla E DAC/AMP; Schiit Asgard 3 AMP; Schiit Modius E DAC [MIC] Blue Yeti Nano [TECHPACK] MAINGEAR Classic Backpack
Note: In cases with multiple entries for parts, * Denotes Home Desktop Peripheral
-----
Network: [ISP] AT&T Fiber 1GB/1GB [ROUTER] ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 XT8 AiMesh Network (2x) [SWITCH] Netgear GS110MX 10 Port Unmanaged Switch [NAS] Asustor AS5202T 2 Bay NAS 8TB RAID 1; Iron Wolf Pro 4TB HDD (2x) [CABLES] Various CAT6A [SECURITY] Blink Outdoor Camera with Sync Module (64GB USB Flash) [SMART SPEAKER] Apple HomePod Mini (2x) [AUTOMATION] Philips Hue Bridge [LIGHTING] Hue Color Ambiance A19/E26 (5x); Hue White Ambiance A19/E26 (12x)
-----
Desk Setup: [DESK] Steelcase Series 9000 Desk with Left Pedestal [Chair] Steelcase Gesture (Black)

Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Spoiler

CannonKeys Rekt 1800 (black): [SWITCHES] 63g T1 [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Thicc Films [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Zeal [KEYCAPS] Novelkeys Cherry Taro

CannonKeys Rekt 1800 (white): [SWITCHES] 65g Dark Amber T1 [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Durock V2 [KEYCAPS] CannonKeys CXA BoW

Monstargear Sangeo60 WKL (black): [SWITCHES] 62g Alpacas [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Staebies [KEYCAPS] GMK Dracula
Decent65 (black): [SWITCHES] 63.5g (two-stage) Neopolitan [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] Alu [STABS] Durock V2 [KEYCAPS] GMK WoB

CannonKeys Obliterated75SE (Grey/Lilac): [SWITCHES] 63g T1 switches [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Durock V2 [KEYCAPS] NicePBT Sugarplum
KBDFans Tofu60 (black): [SWITCHES] 63.5g NK Creams [LUBE] Krytox 205g0 [FILMS] N/A [PLATE] Brass [STABS] Cherry Screw-in [KEYCAPS] EPBT WoB (ABS)
KBDFans KBD67Lite R1 (PolyCarb): [SWITCHES] NK Silk Yellows [LUBE] N/A [FILMS] N/A [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Cherry Screw-in [KEYCAPS] EPBT ModernJA (PBT)
KBDFans KBDPADMKII (Silver): [SWITCHES] 62g Alpacas [LUBE] N/A [FILMS] N/A [PLATE] Polycarb [STABS] Durock V2 Alpaca Edition [KEYSCAPS] NicePBT BoW w/ Blush accents
IN GROUP BUY PIPELINE:
AKB Aella (E-White)
CannonKeys Balance (Black/Silver)

Entertainment

Spoiler

Home: [TV] Samsung Q80A 55” 4K QLED [AUDIO] Sony HT-G700 3.1 Soundbar & Subwoofer [STREAM] AppleTV 4K (2021) [TABLET] 11" iPad Pro 128GB (2021); Apple Pencil Gen 2 [PHONE] iPhone 12 Mini [CONSOLE] Nintendo Switch Lite

The Starbucks prank was what made the video so great, along with using a heated knife to cut off the plastic.  While it -might- have been partially scripted/Linus might have known a bit about the rig, it at least really felt like he was in the dark about the Starbucks gag (or at least to the most part in the dark about it).

The trolliness of the entire video actually made it really entertaining to watch, in general the humor of Sarah seems to really match Linus' sometimes chaotic energy

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

I would like to petition that Sarah puts an Arlo cam on her streams. I just need more Arlo in my life

1 hour ago, lyzzidc said:

I would like to petition that Sarah puts an Arlo cam on her streams. I just need more Arlo in my life

Arlo is Jake's cat. So petition Jake to put more Arlo in Sarah's streams.

What were the issues with the mounting? Linus mentioned something about it working, but not with included parts. Could someone please link me the correct mounting bracket for this same setup. 

Also, does anyone also know the name of this part? (The small Raspberry Pi looking thing, I think it's a fan controller but i'm not sure)
image.png.3c80655c77566c2b41fe501b9d349b53.png

On 4/6/2022 at 10:01 PM, gamagama69 said:

was it the 2015 macbook pro? I looked it up and dedicated graphics on that thing are an r7 m370 2gb, which I guess a 3060 would be a hell of an upgrade over.

that MacBook Pro isn't a 2015. it's got the 2016+ redesign, so it's at least a 2016, and it stops at 2019 cuz it's a 15" and 2019 was the last time Apple made a 15" MBP.

She/Her

3 hours ago, jeffnanague said:

What were the issues with the mounting? Linus mentioned something about it working, but not with included parts. Could someone please link me the correct mounting bracket for this same setup. 

Also, does anyone also know the name of this part? (The small Raspberry Pi looking thing, I think it's a fan controller but i'm not sure)
Snip

image.png.61cef7a56f06a21298d9c97c531e6d13.png

Definitely for all the Fans to connect to the motherboard, it comes with the case. Part 'H' above snipped from the case quick start guide

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

3 hours ago, Tamesh16 said:

image.png.61cef7a56f06a21298d9c97c531e6d13.png

Definitely for all the Fans to connect to the motherboard, it comes with the case. Part 'H' above snipped from the case quick start guide

Thank you! Any tips on the mounting?

19 hours ago, jeffnanague said:

Thank you! Any tips on the mounting?

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Case Review - Page 3 of 6 - Legit Reviews

Its mounted by screws as seen here for that specific case, and this is how the manual shows it should be installed with just 3 screws on standoffs. Unsure if its the only place it can be, but I would suggest following the guide and putting it here

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

On 4/8/2022 at 3:44 AM, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

that MacBook Pro isn't a 2015. it's got the 2016+ redesign, so it's at least a 2016, and it stops at 2019 cuz it's a 15" and 2019 was the last time Apple made a 15" MBP.

oh shit mb

On 4/9/2022 at 10:44 PM, gamagama69 said:

oh shit mb

no worries, i'm an apple fangirl so i know that stuff but if you're not into Apple then... 

She/Her

On 4/6/2022 at 1:08 PM, emosun said:

I have a pet peeve about just another regular bolt together black/white rgb build still being considered pretty. I read the title and got wayyyy too excited

I'm with emosun on this. Too many today focus on making it look good more than making it perform. Words of wisdom from the dragstrip -- a pretty paint job and sponsor stickers mean nothing when a guy shows up with a big-block 429 stuffed into a rusty '73 Pinto hatchback he spent $10,000 building and beats your $70,000 HellCat like a Cherokee drum. Or as a lot of the veterans said when I was driving commercial trucks OTR -- "chrome doesn't get you home." I'd rather spend more on what matters -- board, CPU, GPU, cooling -- THAT'S what's really important.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

I'm with emosun on this. Too many today focus on making it look good more than making it perform. Words of wisdom from the dragstrip -- a pretty paint job and sponsor stickers mean nothing when a guy shows up with a big-block 429 stuffed into a rusty '73 Pinto hatchback he spent $10,000 building and beats your $70,000 HellCat like a Cherokee drum. Or as a lot of the veterans said when I was driving commercial trucks OTR -- "chrome doesn't get you home." I'd rather spend more on what matters -- board, CPU, GPU, cooling -- THAT'S what's really important.

Especially when the pretty PC is gonna sit on the floor with the window faced away from the user...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Especially when the pretty PC is gonna sit on the floor with the window faced away from the user...

Agreed. I'm practically bedbound with health issues, and my machine sits sideways behind a 55" display on an entertainment center that perches both about eight feet away and three feet above my head. I only used RGB fans because it's nice to have a little ambiance in the room, especially when I leave the room and don't feel like turning on the lights.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Agreed. I'm practically bedbound with health issues, and my machine sits sideways behind a 55" display on an entertainment center that perches both about eight feet away and three feet above my head. I only used RGB fans because it's nice to have a little ambiance in the room, especially when I leave the room and don't feel like turning on the lights.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it's only temporary and you'll get better soon.

I personally also look for high performance before looks, but looks are still a factor for me. At least my PC sits right next to me on my desk so i actually see the money i invested into looks. I think you should only invest into looks after you already have the performance you want, otherwise it's wasted money for the most part.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

22 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Sorry to hear that. I hope it's only temporary and you'll get better soon.

I personally also look for high performance before looks, but looks are still a factor for me. At least my PC sits right next to me on my desk so i actually see the money i invested into looks. I think you should only invest into looks after you already have the performance you want, otherwise it's wasted money for the most part.

I appreciate the kind words -- unfortunately, my issues are of a respiratory nature (allergies and strong random sensitivities to certain chemical smells and smoke / vapes) and have been getting worse for 20 years. However, I have recently discovered that this is likely related to Sensory Processing Disorder, as I show many signs of Asperger's (considered a part of the autism spectrum), and SPD is an often-linked condition. Not looking forward to fighting with SSA to get $900 a month, but I don't have much choice anymore. The world outside my front door is a gas chamber to me. C'est la vie -- as they say.

As to your other thoughts -- totally agree. I think the smart money is on the big guns that don't require overclocking / overvolting, over bling that doesn't make it any faster. As someone I know used to say about the "boom" cars and the high-ride "donks" -- Blowing $5000 on audio or rims for a $29 car. 🤣

Between a more expensive processor and overclocking a cheaper one, I'll take the reliability and stability of one that doesn't need all that. Sure, it costs a little more, but I'd be willing to bet it lasts longer and won't need to be upgraded as soon. Long story short, my PC has long been the heart of my entertainment system (only recently complimented with a Roku). So when a 2018 car accident left me with a bit of a windfall, I figured since I face the possibility of scraping by on SSI / disability, eating Ramen noodles and Beanee Weenie, I might as well beef up my rig to do everything I might possibly want to do with it.

Very few regrets here. I think if I had it to do over, I might have overclocked my previous rig's 1700 (with a monster cooling system), skipped the USB card, used non-RGB fans, and used the savings toward an RTX3090. But I'm not sure I would notice the difference with what I do -- except when recording DVDs to my hard drive, (helps a lot when I don't have to change DVDs all the time). Yeah, I have a 6TB for a reason, and I wanted more but couldn't justify the cost.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Ohhh Arlo is Jake's cat? He for sure stole the show in this vid 😄