Considering Gigabyte Aorus fo48u as a TV

liarma

Hi all, looking for some opinions on the gigabyte aorus fo48u and using it as a TV.

It uses the same panel as the LG C1 48" but it is marketed as a gaming monitor and lacks any smart TV features and some other minor differences.

Currently where I live the fo48u is on sale for $1039 AUD which is almost half the price of the LG C1 48" ($1899 AUD). I don't really care for the smart TV features as I don't connect my TV to the internet anyway and am planning to use a PS5 for all my media (Netflix, Stan etc.) anyway.

From what I have read the HDMI 2.1 ports are limited to 24Gbps bandwidth as opposed to the C1 which has 48Gbps. I am not familiar with the new 4K 120Hz/HDMI standards, can someone tell me how this will affect performance with using a PS5 or PC using these HDMI ports? It does have a Display Port 1.4 though, if I am not mistaken I can use a Display port to HDMI cable and still have the full bandwidth though.

If someone with knowledge or experience with these displays could share their opinion or advice that would be greatly appreciated. From my limited viewpoint it seems that for the price, this is a great deal for someone who is on a budget and wants OLED and doesn't care for Smart TV features. Thanks!

https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/AORUS-FO48U/sp#sp

Connectivity
HDMI 2.1 (support 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 @ DSC enabled or 4K 120Hz 4:2:0) x2
Display port 1.4 (DSC) x1

Note

*HDMI2.1 supports PS5 and Xbox Series X at 4K UHD@120Hz (4:2:0)

You will get compressed colors from a console. HDMI to Displayport requires an active adapter and none of them go above 4K30.

6 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/AORUS-FO48U/sp#sp

Connectivity
HDMI 2.1 (support 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 @ DSC enabled or 4K 120Hz 4:2:0) x2
Display port 1.4 (DSC) x1

Note

*HDMI2.1 supports PS5 and Xbox Series X at 4K UHD@120Hz (4:2:0)

You will get compressed colors from a console. HDMI to Displayport requires an active adapter and none of them go above 4K30.

so does this mean using HDMI with consoles is fine despite the 24Gbps bandwidth on them?

do you have any additional thoughts on the display as a TV?

1 hour ago, liarma said:

so does this mean using HDMI with consoles is fine despite the 24Gbps bandwidth on them?

do you have any additional thoughts on the display as a TV?

If you don't care about the downgrade to 4:2:0 colorspace then its fine. Its not something you will notice in games.

20 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

If you don't care about the downgrade to 4:2:0 colorspace then its fine. Its not something you will notice in games.

I plan to use it for media consumption as well. Streaming and the occasional UHD Blu-ray.

23 minutes ago, liarma said:

I plan to use it for media consumption as well. Streaming and the occasional UHD Blu-ray.

Media is already 4:2:0. And the limitation only applies to 120Hz.

2 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Media is already 4:2:0. And the limitation only applies to 120Hz.

Ok, thank you for the information. Very helpful 🙂