The forum loads an error message telling me I'm offline?

Dracarris

So whenever I change wifi/ethernet connection and load the forum too early, I get this error shown:

322647613_ScreenShot2022-03-29at13_46_55.png.bc9cbf934825a3cc1f165214211710e8.png

Sooo what sorcery exactly is this? Is there an LMG-backup connection to my laptop with enough BW for this message? 😄 Some fancy cookie/cached code that checks for a connection?

9 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Pretty sure that's just a cookie, does that for me too

Fancy. Didn't know this is possible with a cookie, never seen it anywhere else.

When you load the forum for the first time, it tells your browser to show this page if in future you try to load the forum with no internet connection. It's not cookies, but it is the forum storing a bit of information in the browser.

HTTP/2 203

45 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

When you load the forum for the first time, it tells your browser to show this page if in future you try to load the forum with no internet connection. It's not cookies, but it is the forum storing a bit of information in the browser.

what exactly is the tech behind it, if not cookies? So far I thought this is the only way of local storage for websites.

I presume it is cookies with cached html or javascript that displays a page.  if you load YouTube when it is offline the whole site loads with the side bar and everything and it just says your connection isn't available in the centre where the videos should be.  

10 hours ago, Dracarris said:

what exactly is the tech behind it, if not cookies? So far I thought this is the only way of local storage for websites.

It is a progressive web app, using a web worker to cache the offline page when you're online, and handle network errors to serve the offline page instead.

There are a few technologies that can be used to store data in the browser - cookies (which are included in every request, so they are used for logins and other stuff the server needs to know about), local storage (can store more data, but is only readable locally from javascript), indexed db (can store structured data, but more complex to use), and cache (traditionally handled entirely by the browser, but web workers give a little bit of control; can store more, but the browser is free to delete it whenever it likes). There's a some more esoteric storage mechanisms like flash cookies, but flash is dead so that is no longer useful.

HTTP/2 203