Should I Switch to Linux on my Laptop? (PopOS)

Renton577

So I have a gaming laptop and I don't play games as much as I used to but I still do. I'm just at a point where I'm sick of all these issue on windows and how integrated Microsoft services are. I am fairly technical and can use the terminal to some extent of something goes wrong but since I still game is it worth going over to something like PopOS?

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

Worth is entirely answered by you, not anyone else. If you want to do it, go for it.

Throw it in a VM for a bit.

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Worth is entirely answered by you, not anyone else. If you want to do it, go for it.

Throw it in a VM for a bit.

I'll install it in a VM to try it, that's a good idea. I think I would want to but it's better to test it out first.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

Entirely will depend on your laptop. I went through about 5 different distros until i found the one that actually allows me to use every feature of my laptop where everything mostly works (though with great effort and terminal commands)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Entirely will depend on your laptop. I went through about 5 different distros until i found the one that actually allows me to use every feature of my laptop where everything mostly works (though with great effort and terminal commands)

That's kind of what I'm seeing especially with the hybrid graphics layout of most laptops. So far popOS seems like the best option since it has a hybrid graphics mode and if I want to boot any games on my Nvidia GPU I can just launch with a command or put the command into steams launch options.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

It depends, do you want to?

And for that matter, what would you want to achieve with it?

In the worst case - if you regret, you can just download and re-install Windows again, so you don't have much to lose by trying.

10 hours ago, Mortenrb said:

It depends, do you want to?

And for that matter, what would you want to achieve with it?

In the worst case - if you regret, you can just download and re-install Windows again, so you don't have much to lose by trying.

Guess you have a point, and I want to play games every now and then but it would mostly be daily use, videos and what not.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

dual boot it. don't switch immediately. also, id rather go with potentially something arch based since steam os for the steam deck is arch based so lots of applications will start to target that instead of something Debian based. arch is not nearly as user friendly as something debian based, but if you are using it as a gaming machine, i would imagine arch support will be better than debian support. 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:39 AM, Renton577 said:

I'm just at a point where I'm sick of all these issue on windows

So you need other issues then?

Write in C.