Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED Gaming Monitor

James

cries in dying Samsung G7

Maybe alienware isnt so shit as i thought.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 hour ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

you did not say.

You forgot the other half:

1 hour ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

What did you say that someone else didn't, or I didn't say?

come back when your list is complete.

2 hours ago, emanresu2 said:

I considered buying one based on this video, but this German review essentially calls the panel technology garbage. Apparently edges with a strong contrast have colors. It's such a dealbreaker that they barely bother to talk about the monitor itself.

https://www.heise.de/hintergrund/Monitor-mit-QD-OLED-im-Test-Samsungs-neue-Display-Technik-ist-verkorkst-6582133.html

So far i have seen 1 other reviewer mentioning this, but all other reviews seem to overlook it, or it's simply not there. It remains to be seen if this really is a QD-OLED drawback or if it's just defective panels.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I was just clarifying. If that is enough to offend you that's your problem.

I don't expect it anytime soon. Current DisplayPort 1.4 can even do 4K 240Hz 10bpc HDR. It just needs DSC to be implemented, which this monitor doesn't because they decided to use an older G-Sync module that is not compatible with DSC. As long as displays can be fed through a DP 1.4 connection, 2.0 won't be implemented. Just as HDMI 2.1 was nowhere to be seen and only showed up once 4K 120Hz became a thing in TVs. They only started to implement it once they NEEDED it.

Intel's ARC Alchemist GPUs seem to have DP 2.0, but again there are no monitors on the horizon that use this connector.

I can wait lol. I am perfectly content with my current monitor for the time being. 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

56 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

So far i have seen 1 other reviewer mentioning this, but all other reviews seem to overlook it, or it's simply not there. It remains to be seen if this really is a QD-OLED drawback or if it's just defective panels.

It's not a defective panel and loads of people are complaining about it - it's just that youtubers have largely missed it. The subpixel layout can cause fringing on any high-contrast edges, most noticeably on text. I was considering buying one but as I'm a developer writing code all day it would be a huge problem for me.

12 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

It's not a defective panel and loads of people are complaining about it - it's just that youtubers have largely missed it. The subpixel layout can cause fringing on any high-contrast edges, most noticeably on text. I was considering buying one but as I'm a developer writing code all day it would be a huge problem for me.

I did some more research. It's very minor and at normal viewing distance it's not noticeable, which is why most reviewers missed it. WBGR OLEDs like the LG panels have the same issue but i can tell from experience with my own C9 it's only visible if you're uncomfortably close to the pixels. On a normal viewing distance it's invisible. Most reddit users i've read about said it's the same text quality than standard IPS 27" 1440p monitors.

The heise article @emanresu2 posted seems like a gross overexaggeration for views. How can this be a major flaw when 99% of all reviewers didn't notice it?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Ordered mine on 3/6, arriving 4/28. Very disappointing delay after it was originally listed as arriving 3/10. Apparently the delays are because they don't have enough monitor stands. I own so many vesa arms, never taking that part out of the box anyways lol.

15 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Tbh that's just unrealistic. You're looking at a cutting edge technology.

You're probably missing the point (a point I should have made clear earlier, by the way); all these new technology, when they make it anyway, will eventually get cheaper as the process of manufacture will improve over time, and subsequently, the cost of manufacturing will get lower over time.

It's a matter of time, and patience.

15 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

You are free to just lower the brightness yourself like with any other monitor.

I wasn't planning on buying this specific monitor though

6 hours ago, Sampsy said:

Yeah I was pretty hyped at first, because this kind of monitor ticks every box for my perfekt monitor. But with such bad color fringing I'm gonna at least wait, if they can fix this in future versions. If this is not fixable (because the subpixel layout has to be that way for some reason), then this is a hard pass for me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO AC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @3600MT/s | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 1TB & Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB | PSU: Cooler Master V-Series V750 Gold V2 750W | Display(s): MSI Optix MAG342CQR - 1440p144 & 2x 1080p60 | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 | Keyboard: Logitech G815 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Sound: Logitech Z906 5.1 Sound System | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

The most distracting thing in this video is the amount of glare you see depending on the camera angle.  On the side shots, you can see the deck fence reflected on the monitor but when cut to over the shoulder view, it nearly disappears.  Between the two different cameras recording, perspectives,  and where things are focused in the cameras make the game play footage appear as if it was pasted over over the monitor itself in post production.  It wasn't until a rewatched that I noticed a moving reflection in the Resident Evil segment that I was able to see a reflection in the over the shoulder view.  Just something seemed really, really off while watching as if a blue screen was being used.  This probably should have been made in the studio.  One thing that does seem off is the sponsor ad at the end which plays stock store web capture for the pillow.  Feels like some one inserted the wrong clip there.

As for for the monitor itself, specs and pricing seem to be great.  I do think the buyer beware section is well merited but at this instant, there is nothing like it for the price.  I'm lucky to have a MicroCenter near me so I'll hopefully be able to view this unit in person sometime soon.

15 hours ago, emanresu2 said:

I considered buying one based on this video, but this German review essentially calls the panel technology garbage. Apparently edges with a strong contrast have colors. It's such a dealbreaker that they barely bother to talk about the monitor itself.

https://www.heise.de/hintergrund/Monitor-mit-QD-OLED-im-Test-Samsungs-neue-Display-Technik-ist-verkorkst-6582133.html

The reviewer is quiet sensitive to colors and she seems to have good eyes... this was at least my experience with her reviews in the past. But she was always right and as you can see in there detail shots, it is clearly visible on text. Maybe someone from LTT could have a closer look again in a more office like scenario. But maybe this was not the main focus for the video and in games it is not that common to have high contrast lines/text all over the display. 

Yes. Why were these obvious issues not mentioned in the review by LTT?

12 hours ago, ForboJack said:

Yeah I was pretty hyped at first, because this kind of monitor ticks every box for my perfekt monitor. But with such bad color fringing I'm gonna at least wait, if they can fix this in future versions. If this is not fixable (because the subpixel layout has to be that way for some reason), then this is a hard pass for me.

not sure, but the TV's looked like they had a bit more going with them.

Also this being curved, high refresh.

Do hope they are able to make brighter displays. (without decrease in lifespan or burn-in)

On 3/17/2022 at 11:47 AM, emanresu2 said:

Other people have brought it up, kinda. but no one considers it a deal breaker

Because you will have the fringing on any and all device with subpixels.

First version.  Also I want to see it in person first.  It may not bother me vs the benefits against the current AOC 34in ultrawide I'm running.  This can easily be better quality and $1k in a year just based off of how low the yield is right now.  It also may drive down the price on high zone count conventional monitors.  Offering worse specs at $2k doesn't make sense.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

I just wish that the QD OLED monitor had higher pixel density.  I’ll give up a little refresh rate to have higher resolution. Gaming isn’t the only thing I do with my monitor so it seems like a waste to have the refresh rate take precedence over resolution. 

oh and one other thing, anyone know what paint color Linus painted his house? Looks great. Im getting ready to paint my house and I love that look. 

And why wouldn't this make a great at least 2k 144hz gaming monitor? Do HDR run at 2k? I'm using 3060 ti what monitor or Tv should i get? Philips 807.....LG C2 or something else ? Let me know peoples

On 3/18/2022 at 3:18 PM, Quackers101 said:

Do hope they are able to make brighter displays. (without decrease in lifespan or burn-in)

Lol what more do you expect? Have you ever experienced a 1000nit display? It's plenty. Even if brightness drops for larger patches, around 300 nits full screen is still able to make you squint.

On 3/19/2022 at 2:20 PM, rcarlos243 said:

No info about PWM frequency of the brightness...

As an example, a lot of OLED laptops have 60Hz or 240Hz PWM frequency which is abysmally slow.

There is no OLED display in the TV or monitor space i'm aware of that uses PWM. (Idk about the laptops you mentioned though)

OLED panels have a slight dip in brightness in line with their refresh rate, but this is not the same as traditional flicker and is not perceived as such.

I don't know a single person who says OLED panels in particular have bad eye strain.

As mentioned in RTINGS's LG C1 review:

The LG C1 doesn't have a traditional backlight, and it doesn't use pulse-width modulation to dim each pixel, but it's not flicker-free, either. Like all OLEDs, there's a slight dip in brightness that corresponds to the TV's refresh cycle. This dip exists on every OLED we've tested, and unlike PWM, it's one line at a time instead of the entire backlight, so it's not noticeable at all.

3 hours ago, Fishy1XD said:

And why wouldn't this make a great at least 2k 144hz gaming monitor?

It does. In fact it's the best monitor on the market it seems. Especially for it's specific resolution and size.

There are only some minor downsides. You'll have to decide if they're dealbreakers for you:

- Non-standard pixel arrangement. Results in slightly worse text clarity and color fringing around high-contrast lines, but is not noticeable from a normal viewing distance according to most users.

- No HDMI 2.1, so you can't run the display to it's full resolution and refresh rate over HDMI.

Do HDR run at 2k?

Sure, you can run HDR all the time. Just like any other HDR compatible display.

I'm using 3060 ti what monitor or Tv should i get? Philips 807.....LG C2 or something else ? Let me know peoples

An RTX 3060Ti will struggle a lot with 4K. For this alone i'd push you towards the Alienware monitor, not these TV's.

19 minutes ago, shark7760 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.heise.de/amp/hintergrund/Analyse-Warum-Samsungs-QD-OLED-Displays-bunte-Kanten-zeigen-6593948.html

They released another article about this monitor and the particular problem. The comparison between the different subpixel structures is interesting though

Wauw, that is bad actually 😮

@LinusTech @James could someone from the LTT team comment on the subpixel issue? Did the monitor you have simply not show this issue, did you just not notice it at all or did you figure it to be so insignificant that it doesn't matter?

If the images are true then while the monitor might be great for gaming it feels like it would indeed not be very good for a lot of work stuff to be done...

• 3 months later...

i've ordered one since June and I'm still waiting for dell.com to deliver... estimated arrival August 4th. Has anyone did comparison with the Samsung G8 and the new LG ultragear? i know they are different formfactors (ultrawide vs. regular 32), but they are similar in price and size. I'm leaning toward keeping this but I'm just afraid the text won't look as clean as many reviews have pointed out. Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...