Should I idle mine on a gaming laptop even on 50% load?

I have an ASUS TUF Gaming F15 (Ryzen 7 4800H, RTX 3050) and I want to idle mine with "light" loads. I've already seen all the rage regarding mining on laptops, but if I turn down the intensity to 40%, is it still as much of a bad idea? The temps appear to plateau at 70C with fans running at around 3200RPM (highest the fans would go is 4900RPM; seen when I was stress testing the laptop). I also set a temp limit to pause mining at 85C. Please advise. 馃槃

Ps. I'm mining ETC using Gminer. I don't really care if it'll make me much at all, but if the negatives outweigh the positives, I'll just stop using it entirely.

"USB 3.2 Gen 2x2"

49 minutes ago, DefinitelyRus said:

Ps. I'm mining ETC using Gminer. I don't really care if it'll make me much at all, but if the negatives outweigh the positives, I'll just stop using it entirely.

How much do you make at that light of a load compared to electricity costs?

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

At 23.2 M/H and $0.010 per KW/h the 3050 makes about $0.84 a day. If you're getting less hash rate because of the light load you might actually be throwing money away in electricity.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post.聽

Project Hot Box

CPU聽13900k, Motherboard聽Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM聽CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC,Case聽Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb,聽CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i,聽Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator,聽Displays聽Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard聽Mountain Everest Max,聽Mouse聽Mountain Makalu 67, Sound聽AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR聽

Oppbevaring

CPU聽i9-9900k,聽Motherboard,聽ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8)聽GPUs聽Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080,聽Case聽Mining Frame, 2x聽Storage聽Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB,聽PSU聽Corsair RM1000x and RM850x,聽Cooling聽Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

How much do you make at that light of a load compared to electricity costs?

About 8MH/s at 40% load around 40W and rates are equivalent to $0.15 per KW/h. No clue how much it makes on a consistent basis - it only runs when the laptop is idle or if I run it manually.聽I tried to do some math to get how much it costs to do and here's what I got:

0.04kW = 40W / 1000W

$0.006/hr = 0.04kW * $0.15/kWH

$0.144 = $0.006/hr * 24 hours

But that's just the GPU, ignoring all the other components. Adding 20W (rough聽estimate) to that would be $0.216 per 24 hours. As for how much I actually make, I still have no idea! My unpaid balance in 2miners say I have $0.10 unpaid balance over the past day, but I've been running the miner very inconsistently - only when I'm taking lunch or sleeping, which I don't keep track of. At least I'm sure it didn't take 24 hours doing it so there's that. 馃槃

At 23.2 M/H and $0.010 per KW/h the 3050 makes about $0.84 a day. If you're getting less hash rate because of the light load you might actually be throwing money away in electricity.

Electricity isn't really my concern here since I don't really intend on profiting from this anyway. What I meant by "but if the negatives outweigh the positives"聽is the laptop's longevity. Anyway, what did you use to get these numbers? The online calculators I don't even have 3050s in their lists.

I should really get one of these haha

"USB 3.2 Gen 2x2"

On 3/16/2022 at 8:56 PM, DefinitelyRus said:

I have an ASUS TUF Gaming F15 (Ryzen 7 4800H, RTX 3050) and I want to idle mine with "light" loads. I've already seen all the rage regarding mining on laptops, but if I turn down the intensity to 40%, is it still as much of a bad idea? The temps appear to plateau at 70C with fans running at around 3200RPM (highest the fans would go is 4900RPM; seen when I was stress testing the laptop). I also set a temp limit to pause mining at 85C. Please advise. 馃槃

I'd suggest not mining with a RTX 3050. I would have recommended if it was a RTX 3060. You might be making a small profit with the current GPU but it's not worth the load that the laptop is being put through. I have seen couple of my friends who started Laptop mining run into Battery Power Management issues and had to RMA the laptop.

BUILD:

CPU: i7-13700K|Motherboard:聽ASUS Z790 Prime - CSM |聽RAM:聽16GB x 2 (Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600Mhz)

GPU:聽Nvidia 3070 Founder Edition |聽Case: NZXT Flow H7聽|聽PSU: CoolerMaster 100W

After some deliberation, I've decided it's not worth the effort given the aforementioned聽"wear & tear", but also because (and I know it's unrelated) I don't yet have a valid ID to use for cash-out, not to mention the heat it generates when I'm away. Thanks for everyone's tech tips! 馃槃

"USB 3.2 Gen 2x2"