Onkyo TX-SR313 no TrueHD or DTS-HD from Windows

Ghajik

I have read that in windows you need atleast 8 channels to send hd audio formats despite the receiver able to decode the formats. The SR313 is a 5.1 receiver so how do i trick windows into thinking that its a 8 channel device?

Someone with same issue but the solution seems to be outdated : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=205490

What you can try is editing EDID using CRU. I don't have 5.1 receiver to test so I can't confirm whether it'll work, but I was able to dumb my receiver down from 7.1 to 5.1. 

Upon opening CRU select your AVR then select CTA-861 on one of extension blocks and click Edit. On audio formats click edit and try adding ones that support 8 channels (e.g. DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, EAC3, LPCM). Then edit speaker setup and click 7.1 at the bottom.

Restart your PC and hope it'll work out. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

3 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

What you can try is editing EDID using CRU. I don't have 5.1 receiver to test so I can't confirm whether it'll work, but I was able to dumb my receiver down from 7.1 to 5.1. 

Upon opening CRU select your AVR then select CTA-861 on one of extension blocks and click Edit. On audio formats click edit and try adding ones that support 8 channels (e.g. DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, EAC3, LPCM). Then edit speaker setup and click 7.1 at the bottom.

Restart your PC and hope it'll work out. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH, it works and it is putting tears in my eyes. The amount of time i've wasted on this thing, and i almost gave up. Thank you and yes it works.