MEDIA PLAYER to Replace Ancient WD TV Live

D1D01

Hi Everyone,

Can you suggest/recommend a Media Player. Requirements:

HDMI Out

USB portable HDD & Flashdrive

Play Any File

Network / Streaming Services not essential - pretty simple.

Grateful for any experienced opinions as I am toally out of touch with what is good and waht to avoid.

7 minutes ago, D1D01 said:

Hi Everyone,

HDMI Out

Play Any File

Grateful for any experienced opinions as I am toally out of touch with what is good and waht to avoid.

The ONLY one I've found that plays everything is the NVIDIA ShieldTV.  Its what I replaced my WDTV Live with.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The ONLY one I've found that plays everything is the NVIDIA ShieldTV.  Its what I replaced my WDTV Live with.

Alex I love it!

But it's about 3 times what I want to pay and I don't need 4K or a unit that has so much RAM, etc. But thank you it's great and on my wishlist for "one day" definately!

Have you considered running PLEX on your computer with all the video files, and then casting it to Chromecast via your phone?

5 minutes ago, whispous said:

Have you considered running PLEX on your computer with all the video files, and then casting it to Chromecast via your phone?

Transcoding reduces the quality, adds wear to your storage (and needs extra space to do it) and wastes electricity, why would you want to do that when ShieldTV can play them natively?

I went through a lot of devices before getting the ShieldTV, including my TVs Plex app.  There was always some limitation I would run into, such as DTS not being passed, losing lossless audio, running out of space on my transcoding drive, etc.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

6 minutes ago, whispous said:

Absolutely far too complicated

Anyone had good/bad experiences with the Runsnail Android TV Box 10.0?

On 3/13/2022 at 5:34 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Transcoding reduces the quality, adds wear to your storage (and needs extra space to do it) and wastes electricity, why would you want to do that when ShieldTV can play them natively?

I went through a lot of devices before getting the ShieldTV, including my TVs Plex app.  There was always some limitation I would run into, such as DTS not being passed, losing lossless audio, running out of space on my transcoding drive, etc.

Plex can do a "direct stream" assuming both devices are capable of supporting the file playback. Typically yes, the audio will be transcoded, but that's not a huge deal.

I use Plex specifically because it'll transcode. I can have just one 4k/HDR/DV 4k Blu-Ray rip and play it back on my PS5, Chromecast, PS4, phone, PS3, GF's iPad, any PC in the house, ect. 

Plex+Nvidia Shield or Plex+Ubuntu with a modern Intel QuickSync compatible iGPU is the best way to go. 

6 hours ago, Colty said:

Plex can do a "direct stream" assuming both devices are capable of supporting the file playback. Typically yes, the audio will be transcoded, but that's not a huge deal.

I use Plex specifically because it'll transcode. I can have just one 4k/HDR/DV 4k Blu-Ray rip and play it back on my PS5, Chromecast, PS4, phone, PS3, GF's iPad, any PC in the house, ect. 

Plex+Nvidia Shield or Plex+Ubuntu with a modern Intel QuickSync compatible iGPU is the best way to go. 

I never found Plex on anything other than ShieldTV would direct stream, the video bitrate on Bluray rips (especially 4K rips) would be way too high.  As I understand it the device manufacturers deliberately hobble their APIs so that high-bitrate content wont work, even though the identical Bluray in that same device does.

Obviously it depends on your own hearing and audio setup, but for me transcoding audio IS a big deal as I have a good surround sound setup.  Plus again, you're wasting disk space and electricity on the server by transcoding, you're wasting electricity using a games console when the ShieldTV uses much less power too.  The point is, if you are buying a new device for playback, might as well choose one that actually works.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:07 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I never found Plex on anything other than ShieldTV would direct stream, the video bitrate on Bluray rips (especially 4K rips) would be way too high.  As I understand it the device manufacturers deliberately hobble their APIs so that high-bitrate content wont work, even though the identical Bluray in that same device does.

Obviously it depends on your own hearing and audio setup, but for me transcoding audio IS a big deal as I have a good surround sound setup.  Plus again, you're wasting disk space and electricity on the server by transcoding, you're wasting electricity using a games console when the ShieldTV uses much less power too.  The point is, if you are buying a new device for playback, might as well choose one that actually works.

If set correctly (and you may need to configure the defaults), I've gotten direct steam on everything. I can stream my largest uncompressed 4k/HDR "remux" on my phone. (Google Pixel 6 Pro) and I was able to do the same on the iPad, my old S20+, ect. Heck, even my PS4 Pro hooked up to an SDR TV will do direct stream since it can do the HDR to SDR conversion on its own. 

If there's a bitrate/bandwith issue, that's probably something on your local network. I've even streamed full 1080p rips with direct streams when I visit other places. And, from my testing, it would do HDR to SDR tonemapping and manage the bitrate automatically as well if there was an issue. 

13 hours ago, Colty said:

If there's a bitrate/bandwith issue, that's probably something on your local network. I've even streamed full 1080p rips with direct streams when I visit other places. And, from my testing, it would do HDR to SDR tonemapping and manage the bitrate automatically as well if there was an issue. 

Definitely not network, my LG C8 simply doesn't like it.  Admit I haven't tried on PS4 Pro, think I last tried on base PS4.  Still a huge waste of electricity using a console though.

Point is, "it just works" on ShieldTV without changing having to figure out some magic settings on the server.

I don't do tone-mapping either as my TV supports Dolby Vision, which the PS4 Pro does not I believe allow to pass.  ShieldTV is one of the few devices that does.  I suppose Xbox Series might work, but for a dedicated device you can't beat ShieldTV AFAIK.  Believe me I'm no fanboy, its actually been annoying as some recent update to Plex has made it way more buggy, it sometimes fails to play on the first try (I think there are combination of server and client problems here, as sometimes restarting the server is required) or auto-plays the next episode in the background  when auto-play is off.  But despite that, its still the best option IMO.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:50 AM, D1D01 said:

Hi Everyone,

HDMI Out

Play Any File

I myself use a combination of Plex Media server and just my computer connected to my TV. Plex for us is just a whole home DVR for the OTA TV. I do have a few movies on Plex, but got lazy on ripping any more. To watch content we use a combo of Roku sticks, Amazon Fire sticks and computers. 

Another option which I have NOT tested is some NAS's have a media function. My 4 bay QNAP NAS allows you to connect it to a TV via HDMI and watch media that is stored on it. Even some with a remote. Again, I have not tested this functionality. 

If you want the easiest option. A computer connected to the TV. It would be able to play anything and would be straight forward to use. They do make Amazon Fire stick sized computers, or small Intel Nuc like machines. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I myself use a combination of Plex Media server and just my computer connected to my TV. Plex for us is just a whole home DVR for the OTA TV. I do have a few movies on Plex, but got lazy on ripping any more. To watch content we use a combo of Roku sticks, Amazon Fire sticks and computers. 

Another option which I have NOT tested is some NAS's have a media function. My 4 bay QNAP NAS allows you to connect it to a TV via HDMI and watch media that is stored on it. Even some with a remote. Again, I have not tested this functionality. 

If you want the easiest option. A computer connected to the TV. It would be able to play anything and would be straight forward to use. They do make Amazon Fire stick sized computers, or small Intel Nuc like machines. 

Thanks Donut417,

Believe me that would have been my approach ages ago - but my Dearest will not tolerate a Box in the telly-room and I don't really have the bread to build a mini-ITX or something, (although that would be fun) which would probably still be not tolerated. *sigh*

Look, I could use Wireless but for that I would need to get a much more powerful Router for that sole reason.

The WDTV was great as it was so small and cost (AU) $89.00. But it's been getting glitchy now. I tried updating to the very last Firmware, and now it's more glitchy, plus refuses to play some files it used to play!

I am inclined towards one of the small Android Boxes, but I was really hoping for some first-hand testimonials on really good ones before I do that.

Seriously, you could try a real janky system for "cheap" but that would take up an inordinate mount of time and patience setting up and in my experience doesn't always work like you want it too. Especially *when* you want it too. With the added possibility of spending more on it on the longer run if you need to upgrade it or modify it or some reason, ending up spending more than the budget you set now for a much more unreliable system.

The only option for your use case seems to me the NVidia Shield TV.
You mentioned it's out of your budget, but are you talking about the latest iteration? Have you considered the older model (I think it's 2017)? (If you can get your hands on it...) I have it and it works like a charm for everything.
In any case, I would seriously consider spending more now for some peace of mind in the future.

5 hours ago, pauloforte said:

Seriously, you could try a real janky system for "cheap" but that would take up an inordinate mount of time and patience setting up and in my experience doesn't always work like you want it too. Especially *when* you want it too. With the added possibility of spending more on it on the longer run if you need to upgrade it or modify it or some reason, ending up spending more than the budget you set now for a much more unreliable system.

The only option for your use case seems to me the NVidia Shield TV.
You mentioned it's out of your budget, but are you talking about the latest iteration? Have you considered the older model (I think it's 2017)? (If you can get your hands on it...) I have it and it works like a charm for everything.
In any case, I would seriously consider spending more now for some peace of mind in the future.

Of course your'e right.

Ok I will have a look for an older shield. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 6:34 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

What app do you use to play the video files from your external source?

1 hour ago, Canuck21 said:

What app do you use to play the video files from your external source?

I play everything via Plex, though I just got an LG C1 and thanks to eARC it seems to have solved needing to use the ShieldTV for everything I've thrown at it so far.  I believe I will still need it for DTS, but almost everything is Dolby these days.

I do believe the ShieldTV possibly has better 1080p to 4K upscaling though but recent Android updates have caused stuttering so I'm less inclined to use it.

On 5/7/2022 at 1:36 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I play everything via Plex, though I just got an LG C1 and thanks to eARC it seems to have solved needing to use the ShieldTV for everything I've thrown at it so far.  I believe I will still need it for DTS, but almost everything is Dolby these days.

I do believe the ShieldTV possibly has better 1080p to 4K upscaling though but recent Android updates have caused stuttering so I'm less inclined to use it.

Have you tried Plex via the Shield instead of the TV's integrated app? It would be interesting to compare performance between the Shield vs the TV.

I have a Sony A80J (same panel as the current LG - which I believe is the C1), but I don't use any of it's smart functions. I use Plex via an Xbox One S.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Have you tried Plex via the Shield instead of the TV's integrated app? It would be interesting to compare performance between the Shield vs the TV.

I have a Sony A80J (same panel as the current LG - which I believe is the C1), but I don't use any of it's smart functions. I use Plex via an Xbox One S.

No, as I need frame interpolation to comfortably watch content and the ShieldTV induced stutter I've not felt the need to move back.

I'm sure sooner or later I will need to watch something with DTS audio and have to use the ShieldTV for that.

I feel everyone's pain. I wish there was a media player that ruled them all, but nothing currently exists. I do think the Shield is very good for most people and also the AppleTV works easily if you are in Apple-land. In my home office setup I use AppleTV for most things Plex but it will use PCM unless it is Atmos and I find the mix to be a bit dull. If the source material will be DTS (like most concerts) or a different Dolby mix, I'll watch through my PC using VLC or PowerDVD. The home theatre room also uses a AppleTV for everyday use but the media player in my Oppo DVD player is quite good at playing just about everything.

I did replace my WDTV Live in the bedroom with a Roku 4K UHD player and it plays everything that was on the attached USB hard drive dock with no issues. I don't know if it will play EVERY file type, but it seems to handle a wide variety of old and new .avi and .mkv files that I have.  I'm not a fan of the UI as it is a bit dated looking, but if you are used to the WDTV it will be just fine for you, plus be a bit future proofed if you upgrade your TV. The price is reasonable.

It all makes me miss the mid-2000's when I used a DVICO TViX 6500a media player and it played everything, but a lot has changed since then. 🙄

• 10 months later...

you can get custom firmwares for them, but if not i would recommend a chromecast or ultra small form factor pc with a media OS