The Smallest NO COMPROMISES Gaming PC - Intel Dragon Canyon NUC

ColinLTT

Intel’s NUC’s are getting good – but at what cost? We’re taking a deep dive into the 12th Gen NUC Extreme to find out.

Buy an Intel Dragon Canyon NUC 12: https://geni.us/IOb8

Buy an RTX 3080 Ti: https://geni.us/h4RQnR

Buy a 2TB Crucial P5 Plus: https://geni.us/jrkn

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

9 letters

e x p e n s i v e

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

993868817_LinusTechTips-Applemakesmybrainhurtk8RkyaSHFLM-1238x619-0m06s.thumb.png.7586fb96c6f427febc6944253c5b881e.png

After such a CHONKY announcement from Apple yesterday, good to see Intel is showing them how small a professional PC can really be.

I was looking for this this morning after I saw the short

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

27 minutes ago, sturmen said:

993868817_LinusTechTips-Applemakesmybrainhurtk8RkyaSHFLM-1238x619-0m06s.thumb.png.7586fb96c6f427febc6944253c5b881e.png

After such a CHONKY announcement from Apple yesterday, good to see Intel is showing them how small a professional PC can really be.

It's sarcasm right?

The video didn't answer the most important question: how small is it? And I wouldn't call not being able to run a 12900K and large GPUs "no compromises", those are some pretty major compromises compared to other SFF cases.

9 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

The video didn't answer the most important question: how small is it? And I wouldn't call not being able to run a 12900K and large GPUs "no compromises", those are some pretty major compromises compared to other SFF cases.

It's 8L in volume, and for something with 10gig, a full size GPU and a desktop CPU socket with pretty darn good cooling I think that's the best you can find out there - drop links if you think otherwise. 

The 8L is also the joke involving the two 4L jugs of milk but Alex decided to change the line I had written in the moment, killing the shot 😕 

Loud, expensive and cant fit a 3090/6900xt. Id say plenty of compromises for the small size.

And apparently that 12900K is slower than 12700f.

11 minutes ago, ColinLTT said:

It's 8L in volume, and for something with 10gig, a full size GPU and a desktop CPU socket with pretty darn good cooling I think that's the best you can find out there - drop links if you think otherwise. 

The 8L is also the joke involving the two 4L jugs of milk but Alex decided to change the line I had written in the moment, killing the shot 😕 

Okay 8L is really small, and the 10GbE makes it stand out. I don't think there are any consumer/DIY ITX-mainboards with 10GbE support available right now, and obviously an add-in card is not an option. As far as smallest case that fits pretty much any consumer hardware configuration, the Lian Li x Dan A4-H2O would probably be the closest match, though slightly bigger at around 11L.

Did LMG get one of the new Corsair ONE with 12900K? I don't know if you're allowed to compare different sponsored products to each other, but some sort of "small PC shootout" would be fun to see, Intel NUC vs Corsair ONE vs custom build.

11 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Okay 8L is really small, and the 10GbE makes it stand out. I don't think there are any consumer/DIY ITX-mainboards with 10GbE support available right now, and obviously an add-in card is not an option. As far as smallest case that fits pretty much any consumer hardware configuration, the Lian Li x Dan A4-H2O would probably be the closest match, though slightly bigger at around 11L.

Did LMG get one of the new Corsair ONE with 12900K? I don't know if you're allowed to compare different sponsored products to each other, but some sort of "small PC shootout" would be fun to see, Intel NUC vs Corsair ONE vs custom build.

This was not a sponsored video - there was no sponsor callout. 

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

It's sarcasm right?

My post was sarcastic, but that screengrab was very real. @GabenJr called the 3.6L Mac Studio (which includes 10 GbE as well as allegedly RTX 3090-level horsepower) chonky.

1 minute ago, sturmen said:

My post was sarcastic, but that screengrab was very real. @GabenJr called the 3.6L Mac Studio (which includes 10 GbE as well as allegedly RTX 3090-level horsepower) chonky.

Oh ok thought it was a edit by you and I was like the fuck. That thing is tiny :p.

I doubt the claims (i mean they compared to a power limited 12900k and such) but I'm looking forward to see.

Seems like a decent computer to say the least. Compact and seems to have a fair few good features. The on board 10 Gb/s Ethernet is nice to see.

If the front had a USB 3 though... That would be nice. Don't know how often I end up using a USB 3 thumb drive to move files, but it isn't that seldom and the front USB is best for this plug and play feature.

One could perhaps also ask why they didn't just make the whole card 1 slot thicker to squeeze out a bit more cooling out of it, after all, the air guide and lack of a PCIe connector pretty much makes it free real estate.

(Though, I think the term "dragon" is overused in marketing to make things cooler than what they in fact are... It is like naming something "Gaming".)

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Oh ok thought it was a edit by you and I was like the fuck. That thing is tiny :p.

I doubt the claims (i mean they compared to a power limited 12900k and such) but I'm looking forward to see.

It's half the size of the NUC which is why I was so perplexed LTT called it chonky.

Hey, I am also facing the same Intel xtu issue in windows 11, any solution for that?

Lol that thermal paste application ruined the benchmarks. @ColinLTTI blame you Colin.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I've been noticing more "aside" captions at the bottom of the videos, but they often clash with closed captions (often easier for me to listen to something if I have captions to read along with it). Just thought it's worth pointing out.

firefox_O5t5uw1Lia.thumb.jpg.16fcc64cfef28b3948b1f1ba77572773.jpg

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

$1600 for a case that only comes with a cpu, a motherboard, and a psu?

Hard pass...

Wait, I changed my mind. Just pass.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Very interesting that Intel used an aquantia 10Gbe chipset and not an Intel X550

• 4 weeks later...

I too am interested in a comparison between this and the Corsair One with the same Intel CPU!