Apple makes my brain hurt...

Apple’s Peek Performance event is over, and now that M1 Ultra is out of the bag, we now know that Macs are getting the chiplet treatment. What does it mean for PCs? And what about the Studio Display?

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Apple WHO?

image.png.e9823265777187b123b374f59e43226c.png

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Apple needs to focus on making a cheaper iPad mini. When the larger regular iPad comes in at $330 there's no reason why the smaller one should be hundreds of dollars more. Samsung used to own the 8 inch tablet market, heck it's the reason why Apple created the mini in the first place because people didn't want to carry a huge-ass tablet around. That need hasn't changed just because smartphones have grown bigger than our pockets can fit them. In my case I need something for use in the car and the small size makes it perfect. It's also the only option for cellular now that (again) Samsung has thrown in the towel and left their mini tablet customers behind.

As for that M1 Ultra, I'm fairly certain those spending $30-60k on "proper" workstation hardware are laughing their asses off. No coincidence that AMD just announced Threadripper Pro 5000 to give all the Apple shills a nice reality check LOL Apple can tout their jewelry box sized space heater all they want. There's something to be said for a massive tower case housing 128 cores of processing power and FOUR of the most powerful graphics cards... all overclocked and custom water cooled like a boss 😎

20 minutes ago, Luscious said:

There's something to be said for a massive tower case housing 128 cores of processing power and FOUR of the most powerful graphics cards... all overclocked and custom water cooled like a boss 😎

only 4 GPUs for 2 CPU nodes, common now 8GPUs and 2 CPUs.

really wish the new SE would have gotten a camera upgrade. the current one is fine but they could do better. I don't get the price jump it isn't like there already wasn't good margins on the product.

I feel like apple still doesn't remember why people loved the studio display. they keep ignoring what made it great. Good price with a great screen and some creature comforts for those on laptop like magsafe in and a USB hub. at 1600$ starting you've easily 2x the price of competing offerings for a special webcam and some good for in monitor speakers.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The G4 Cube smiles down upon the Mac Studio. It will be interesting to see the M1 Ultra version drag race against the Intel Mac Pro, it's looking more and more like that thing is the new Power Mac G5 Quad: fast, power hungry, and (likely) abandoned before its time.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

@GabenJr you forget to mention who is the Studio targeted at. For a video professional/streamer/content creator, I need a PCI slot for my capture card, which obviously this doesn't have.

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

only 4 GPUs for 2 CPU nodes, common now 8GPUs and 2 CPUs.

Yeah those are the 4U rackmount systems - most can take 8-10 cards now, but there was one last gen model that stuffed 20 HL/HH GPU's inside. The daughterboard on that thing was wild.

Sadly the days of building 4 GPU custom water cooled systems is coming to an end :old-sad: I'm really glad I was able to build my own back in 2015 because it was an incredible experience. It really was the golden age of DIY PC.

5 hours ago, Luscious said:

Apple needs to focus on making a cheaper iPad mini. When the larger regular iPad comes in at $330 there's no reason why the smaller one should be hundreds of dollars more. Samsung used to own the 8 inch tablet market, heck it's the reason why Apple created the mini in the first place because people didn't want to carry a huge-ass tablet around. That need hasn't changed just because smartphones have grown bigger than our pockets can fit them. In my case I need something for use in the car and the small size makes it perfect. It's also the only option for cellular now that (again) Samsung has thrown in the towel and left their mini tablet customers behind.

As for that M1 Ultra, I'm fairly certain those spending $30-60k on "proper" workstation hardware are laughing their asses off. No coincidence that AMD just announced Threadripper Pro 5000 to give all the Apple shills a nice reality check LOL Apple can tout their jewelry box sized space heater all they want. There's something to be said for a massive tower case housing 128 cores of processing power and FOUR of the most powerful graphics cards... all overclocked and custom water cooled like a boss 😎

The iPad mini is great for what it is dude price is about right.

As for the Studio. It’s aimed at people similar to LTT, music studios or your contracting video editors etc. The top spec is 8K and that will blow anything else at its price point away. They make a workstation, it’s called the Mac Pro and it will likely be getting an AS upgrade later this year. Personally guessing WWDC

Also actual workstations don’t use water cooling or several cards. 

There's a lot to rightful criticism here (expandability, especially) but can we please stop fabricating a "lack of futureproof SD Express support" as a drawback? Anthony mentioned this in the MacBook Pro review as well, even though an SD Express slot would be unmitigated downgrade:

Don't believe me? Just ask Brandon whether he would have a CFexpress slot, or SDexpress.

2 hours ago, sturmen said:

Futureproofed" slots would be CFexpress

and it doesn't have to be a pure CFexpress card, you can pretty easily support CFexpress type A with SD cards. A is typically what you'll find in smaller bodies with the larger B used most in cinema cameras.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

The iPad mini is great for what it is dude price is about right.

As for the Studio. It’s aimed at people similar to LTT, music studios or your contracting video editors etc. The top spec is 8K and that will blow anything else at its price point away. They make a workstation, it’s called the Mac Pro and it will likely be getting an AS upgrade later this year. Personally guessing WWDC

Also actual workstations don’t use water cooling or several cards. 

A couple of points here.

The current iPad mini is powerful for the money... the question is whether or not Apple is aiming at the right audience. For instance, I would love to have the modern iPad mini design for bedside reading, but there's no way I'm going to drop $499 just so that I have a reasonably compact tablet for e-books (and no, an e-reader wouldn't be enough).

And workstations don't use several cards? Apple designed the current Mac Pro precisely because there are many creative pros that need multiple expansion cards! Media processing, audio/video interfaces, advanced networking... hell, even basic "bunch of ports" cards. I knew a music producer who refused to buy the 2013 Mac Pro because he needed multiple PCIe cards for his workflow.

17 minutes ago, Commodus said:

A couple of points here.

The current iPad mini is powerful for the money... the question is whether or not Apple is aiming at the right audience. For instance, I would love to have the modern iPad mini design for bedside reading, but there's no way I'm going to drop $499 just so that I have a reasonably compact tablet for e-books (and no, an e-reader wouldn't be enough).

Currently I’m using a mini for a pocketable device that I can do CAD on comfortably. No 230W power brick, no several pound backpack, actual battery life and because it’s not a typical use case the software for it is dirt cheap compared to the solidworks I use on a laptop. Obviously it’s not as capable but for single parts it’s more than enough. 

17 minutes ago, Commodus said:

And workstations don't use several cards? Apple designed the current Mac Pro precisely because there are many creative pros that need multiple expansion cards! Media processing, audio/video interfaces, advanced networking... hell, even basic "bunch of ports" cards. I knew a music producer who refused to buy the 2013 Mac Pro because he needed multiple PCIe cards for his workflow.

Generally workstations don’t use multiple cards. Expansion cards sure but not the several GPUs as was insinuated.

Generally if you’re using a quadro for example as a workstation you only need one, two at a push if you need the VRAM. Rendering machines and similar will obviously use more cards but generally they are separate machines work is offloaded to. 

10 hours ago, GodAtum said:

@GabenJr you forget to mention who is the Studio targeted at. For a video professional/streamer/content creator, I need a PCI slot for my capture card, which obviously this doesn't have.

While it is a shame you can't carry your existing one forward, I've been using a Blackmagic Design UltraStudio 4K Mini on my MacBook Pro with success. So there are options, especially given that it has up to 6 Thunderbolt ports.

Anthony mentioned in the new video about the new mac that the link to the 27" iMac on the Apple website (https://www.apple.com/imac-27/) redirects to the 24" iMac; hinting that this new mac is likely a replacement for the 27" iMac.

As a web developer this gave me a little thought.

We developers will often have to "code in" this redirect. What's interesting is the type of HTTP redirect apple have used. There's two options. A 301 redirect (permanent) and a less common 302 redirect (temporary).

The Apple website redirects using a 301, permanent redirect. This further solidifies Anthony's suspicion that this is a replacement for the 27" iMac and that it will not make a come back for the foreseeable.

RIP 27" iMac

Image for proof.

image.thumb.png.af97d1a0c808b2f5e163d3956ae6fe1e.png

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

@gergy008 I have merged your thread into the video you're referencing since its directly related. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

@gergy008 I have merged your thread into the video you're referencing since its directly related. 

Nice, I didn't know I could post in here

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

@GabenJr with respect to the SSDs further infacigation found that most consumer (non server) SSDs also do this! 

Seems like it is rather common for non server grade NVMe drivers to lie to the system and report FLUSH as complete well before it is finished! LTT likly should consider this as part of thier reviews of these drivers (do a large write operation followed by a flush and then pull the drive as soon as the flush returns and then check if it really did write data!).

To be clear this is a breach of spec but likely what is required to get the speeds of modern NVMe driers without loads of extra parallel NAND dies and the cost that incurs.  Note high end data-centre NVMe drivers have a flag set that means linux does not even both sending FLUSH events since it knows the drive have backup capacitors that mean writes will always settle even if power is lost!

you know, there was ISA or PCI extention card specially for encoding/decoding MPEG2. apple just bundled one inside the SOC.

Lenovo Thinkstation P410

xeon e5 2666v3

4x8g ddr4 2133 RECC

nvidia RTX A4000 16g

micron BX500 480g

intel P4501 4TB

21 hours ago, birdhuman said:

you know, there was ISA or PCI extention card specially for encoding/decoding MPEG2. apple just bundled one inside the SOC.

Having the video encoder/decoders being able to directly read/write to memory and even share the system level cache with other units of the system just like cpu and gpu cores makes it a lot easier to use with the typical PCIe based encoder/decoders these days the compute time to do the takes is so fast that 90%+ of the time is spend copying data to and from the card over the slow (high latency) PCIe bus and protocol. 

For things like scrubbing through encoded video it is so much eaiser if the decoded data that is output by the decoder is directly in memory ready to be used but the GPU for compositing without needing to be copied back to the system memory and then back out to the GPU on another PCIe device, in fact on apple silicon since all these units share the cache layers if the gpu is reading data fast enough from these regions it might well not even need to read all the way through to the memory dies and just pull the freshly written decoded bits from the cache into the gpu.