Unable to get multichannel LPCM audio from PS4

nickbg321
Go to solution Solved by nickbg321,

I feel like a complete moron. While you are in the PS4 menu the system music only plays from the front speakers on LPCM but it plays from the rears as well on Bitstream Dolby / DTS. When you are in an actual game multichannel audio does in fact work on LPCM.

I have the following setup: an OG PS4 connected to a 65 inch LG C1 TV which is in itself connected to a Samsung Q950A soundbar via eARC, eARC is enabled on the TV and the soundbar's display shows "eARC" so I guess it's working and I get Dolby Atmos when playing video via the Netflix or Plex apps on the TV.

Yet for some reason I am unable to get multichannel LPCM to work from my PS4. The console says I have a 7.1 channel audio device connected via HDMI but the soundbar always outputs just stereo. I've tried setting the TV's input to bitstream and the output to passthrough but that unfortunately did nothing. Switching the PS4's audio output from LPCM to Bitstream Dolby gets me multichannel audio but it adds some noticeable audio delay.

Some questions........

What spec/type of HDMI are you using?
Is the HDMI a pinner cable (very thin)

Does Bit stream DTS also cause audio lag with a multi channel output?

OG PS4 does not support Dolby Atmos. PS4 Pro does have Does have Dolby Atmos support

7 minutes ago, shamus20 said:

Some questions........

What spec/type of HDMI are you using?
Is the HDMI a pinner cable (very thin)

Does Bit stream DTS also cause audio lag with a multi channel output?

Both HDMI cables (PS4 to TV and TV to soundbar) are HDMI 2.1 with ethernet and are supposedly rated at 48gbps. They are definitely not thin. I tried connecting the PS4 to the TV with some generic HDMI cable I had laying to see if made any difference but no luck. As far as DTS goes I have to give it a try again but I think it was pretty much the same.

2 minutes ago, Blacksunshine said:

OG PS4 does not support Dolby Atmos. PS4 Pro does have Does have Dolby Atmos support

The issue is with multichannel audio coming from the PS4 in general. I do not expect Atmos from the PS4, just used it as an example that the setup generally works ok, sorry for the confusion.

I am not 100% sure, as it has been a while since i had an OG PS4, i am thinking about why a lag would happen for the PS4 only via the soundbar.  

in PS4 menu, you obviously have audio out as HDMI Out, Sound at LPCM (which should be lossless audio in multichannel. Does the soundbar have separate sound profiles per input?

also I know on receivers It's a setting on the home theater receiver. Apparently there's an issue with the PS4 outputting audio to both the receiver and the tv. I had to get into the settings of the home theater receiver under "hdmi", and set the audio ouput to "amp" instead of "tv+amp", the TV itself may have an option like this as well.  See if that exists too.  May be the issue.  Also if you don't even use the TV speakers thn this is a setting that should be altered. 

My tv has the option for sound output as TV Speakers or Audio Receiver. I have mine set to the latter to get all my multichannel outputs. 

The PS4 Pro has an optical digital port. Can you use optical digital to the soundbar to resolve the issue? It's obviously not ideal, LPCM over HDMI is uncompressed and it's an extra cable, but it may resolve the issue. 

10 hours ago, Blacksunshine said:

also I know on receivers It's a setting on the home theater receiver. Apparently there's an issue with the PS4 outputting audio to both the receiver and the tv. I had to get into the settings of the home theater receiver under "hdmi", and set the audio ouput to "amp" instead of "tv+amp", the TV itself may have an option like this as well.  See if that exists too.  May be the issue.  Also if you don't even use the TV speakers thn this is a setting that should be altered. 

My tv has the option for sound output as TV Speakers or Audio Receiver. I have mine set to the latter to get all my multichannel outputs. 

On the PS5 you can apparently select HDMI output device type to be AV amplifier, no such setting on the PS4 as far as I can tell. I'm starting to think this is some hardware limitation on the OG PS4, possibly fixed on the newer variants.

On the C1 you can choose your output device to be either TV speakers or eARC (what I have selected).

9 hours ago, Colty said:

The PS4 Pro has an optical digital port. Can you use optical digital to the soundbar to resolve the issue? It's obviously not ideal, LPCM over HDMI is uncompressed and it's an extra cable, but it may resolve the issue. 

Will give this option a shot as I'm out of ideas.

I feel like a complete moron. While you are in the PS4 menu the system music only plays from the front speakers on LPCM but it plays from the rears as well on Bitstream Dolby / DTS. When you are in an actual game multichannel audio does in fact work on LPCM.

yea LPCM is a fickle beast when it comes to working right sometimes lol. I forgot PS4 menu music is only 2 channel.