New topic count for the day

googleuser3212

I was thinking like a ticker down by the area where the members online and joined are displayed at the bottom of home. Is that a stupid idea? Sorry if that is.

11 minutes ago, fiddleslessless said:

I was thinking like a ticker down by the area where the members online and joined are displayed at the bottom of home. Is that a stupid idea? Sorry if that is.

Something like this?:

1.thumb.png.9c53cd2fbb8f331b5bbe5a63a4da4862.png

It's something i did with my own forum system,which is running on Invision Power Board - The predecessor to the Invision community that is being used on the LTT forums.

There is also a counter that counts how many users are online but it's not in the screenshot.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Why?

Besides that, the problem with per-day things is that either we show a different value to each person depending on their time zone (which makes it even less useful I think, depending on what use you are imagining from it), or we have to arbitrarily choose a time zone (in which case it's just kinda weird).

HTTP/2 203

21 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Besides that, the problem with per-day things is that either we show a different value to each person depending on their time zone (which makes it even less useful I think, depending on what use you are imagining from it), or we have to arbitrarily choose a time zone (in which case it's just kinda weird).

Or you can do it like how i did and just display the current number of people online (including guests) and their user names (the number is not in the screenshot but i implemented it).

21 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Why?

It's nice to have,nothing necessary.

You can get a grasp of how active are the forums right now,and with the list of active users you can see who is online - Maybe you are looking for someone to talk with and pick a random person from the people online or someone you already know who is online.

But i have to note that from my testing the list is as long as the amount of users online so it's recommended to have the option to expand/minimize the list.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

9 hours ago, fiddleslessless said:

almost choked on my noodle when i read this on my korean phone.

Would not be a good idea.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

4 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

almost choked on my noodle when i read this on my korean phone.

Would not be a good idea.

What's the harm in showing what's going on? I've seen other large forums have some live data and it's always interesting to see the statistics. User post count and reputation are already public, anyway.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:51 PM, Vishera said:

Or you can do it like how i did and just display the current number of people online (including guests) and their user names (the number is not in the screenshot but i implemented it).

That used to be a thing 😉 

Like 5 years ago, there used to be just a giant list of active users at the bottom then it became a counter at the bottom showing newest user, and number of active users, which there was also a page that lists active users. Allowed you to just straight up filter by mods and then snitch report spam/issues directly to an active mod 😛 

Oh wait, the online users page is back? :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hmmmmm 🤔

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

6 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Allowed you to just straight up filter by mods and then snitch report spam/issues directly to an active mod 😛 

It is preferred that you use the report function.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 3/4/2022 at 10:29 AM, colonel_mortis said:

Why?

The time zone problem could be solved by using UTC. sorry this was a dumb idea, I just thought it would be interesting to see that statistic. 

On 3/4/2022 at 8:29 AM, Mel0nMan said:

IMO that would increase spam posting since people would see the number and want to make it bigger... cool idea though

That is true. Thanks tho

2 hours ago, fiddleslessless said:

The time zone problem could be solved by using UTC.

That wouldn't really solve it. Instead you could do number of topics in past 24 hours period. But would there be much benefit in knowing how many topics are posted each day?

A list of new topics posted in the last day would arguably more useful as you could maybe then find new topics you might be interested in. You can check new topics that have been posted each day by using the activity stream. My Activity Streams - Recent Topics. Then refine by time period to Specified time period - 1 day

I set it up for you for new topics posted in the last day: https://linustechtips.com/discover/678/ Click the "Add to my Streams" button at the top to save it to your activity streams, or you can customise your own activity stream and save it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450