We Made a Video Game in 12 Hours

mynameGeoff

Thanks to Gigabyte for sponsoring the video! Learn more about the Gigabyte AERO 16 laptop on Newegg: https://geni.us/1aq4pZq

Thanks as well to Unity for providing their Pro license for this video. Check out Unity Pro at https://lmg.gg/UnityProLTT

Want to make a game? It's both easier AND harder than you might think, but with some patience and the ability to Google issues, anything is possible.

I have a friend with 2 boys learning Python with 'Scratch'. It actually is pretty impressive what they've created so far (they're 11 years old). It's basically a drag and drop GUI where if a certain condition is met, 'this happens'. It is limited, but perfect for younger aspiring programmers who would quickly lose interest in writing hundreds of lines of code. It teaches the fundamental concepts pretty well.

Microsoft had 'Project Spark' too, which was pretty fun to tinker with.

Honestly this kind of feels more like an Unity sponsored video then Gigabyte but was neat to watch regardless.

45 minutes ago, steelo said:

learning Python with 'Scratch'

what?

they are learning Python with this https://scratch.mit.edu/ ?

46 minutes ago, steelo said:

perfect for younger aspiring programmers who would quickly lose interest in writing hundreds of lines of code. It teaches the fundamental concepts pretty well.

BASIC

(and probably Microsoft BASIC)

It's awesome to see some game dev content! If you do another video like this, Unity does have demo projects like The Heretic that can show off the performance of the laptop, but since this was sponsored maybe there we're only specific things you could show with the laptop?

Also, LTT game jam when?

Making a game from scratch in a short period of time is a unique challenge. I've participated in the Ludum Dare competition half a dozen times, always with at least one other person and with the full 72 hours to make the game. That is pretty intense. Doing one in just 12 hours on my own would be quite daunting, even with following tutorials and bringing in assets.

As for the hardware required, the first few Ludum Dares I did were using a Lenovo K450 desktop with a Core i5 4440, 8GB DDR3-1600, and an Nvidia GT 635. This was okay for basic game development, proving that you can indeed do it on any hardware, but having faster hardware does make it better, especially when it comes time to build the game for use outside of the development environment. Also, as the game got bigger, the computer would strain more and more. Unity would sometimes crash, and when it did, re-opening it would take longer and longer, sometimes over 10 minutes just to re-start Unity, as the assets would need to get brought back in, decompressed, compiled, etc. That old Core i5 would easily take half an hour to build a basic game. But my current Ryzen 9 5900X with 48GB of RAM hasn't crashed when doing dev, loads projects way faster, and can build the same game in a couple of minutes.

Like was said in the video, having better hardware doesn't really help with making game dev possible, but it does matter for making a game quickly, which is exactly what I need for Ludum Dare.

I wish this game could be on steam so i could purchase it and dump 200 hours into it.

EDIT 3:19: VAMPIRE SURVIVORS BRUHHH!!!!!!! Løøøøøøøve that game, so damn hard tho!

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

If you want to see people playing with devs present, this is a great series.

2 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

what?

yeah scratch has python

BASIC

with scratch its easier to learn for some people so...

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

hello

i just beat LTT: The Video Game!

does anyone care?

As a game artist, loved this video quite specially.  🙂

And yeah, also an old timer... heck, now it is so much easier... much better software tools and hardware. And a lot more learning material.  Although the fact is that there's now a lot of more competition, for indies, medium and big companies. Even so, with more access come more opportunities. Before it was not even an option, for most people.

5 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

what?

BASIC

I goofed..

Microsoft = project spark. I've tinkered around with the xbox one version that came with the console.

I've always assumed scratch was a simplified form of python as it comes preinstalled on raspberry pi OS, but apparently it uses Actionscript...my bad. I've never used it, just took notice of  others creations.

I got this game working on my (intel) Mac using crossover.

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.42.02 AM.png

17 hours ago, sub68 said:

yeah scratch has python

14 hours ago, steelo said:

I've always assumed scratch was a simplified form of python as it comes preinstalled on raspberry pi OS, but apparently it uses Actionscript...my bad. I've never used it, just took notice of  others creations.

so who's correct?

42 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

so who's correct?

Scratch Studio has a python projects hosted on its site but the scratch programming language is not python as its a visual programming language that's completely unrelated.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

so who's correct?

I said has but it’s not the primary way to code in it

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

22 hours ago, sub68 said:

I said has but it’s not the primary way to code in it

If I'm remembering correctly, scratch on the raspberry pi os uses 'blocks' for conditional statements, loops and logic and really doesn't require coding. I do believe you're correct that scratch itself is not coded in python but teaches the fundamentals of it. I've never seen the studio website version, so I'm not sure about that...

17 minutes ago, steelo said:

If I'm remembering correctly, scratch on the raspberry pi os uses 'blocks' for conditional statements, loops and logic and really doesn't require coding. I do believe you're correct that scratch itself is not coded in python but teaches the fundamentals of it. I've never seen the studio website version, so I'm not sure about that...

It has python things but most of it matlab 

Like this video

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang