Schedule a Restart per Week

Borgus Bohr

Is there a way to schedule an automatic restart of the computer in Windows? Let's say, restart the PC every Sunday at 1 p.m, is that possible?

馃

On 3/3/2022 at 7:00 AM, LWM723 said:

Are you that lazy to click on restart? OMG!!!

You never know, they might want to restart it at 2am. They might want to do it when they're away.

I'd say that's not being lazy, but rather taking advantage of technology.

Edited by RockSolid1106
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude.聽

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Not sure why you'd want to schedule full restarts.. My laptop runs 24/7 with some sleep in between.. and a reboot only happens if an update comes or after an install..

21 minutes ago, RZomerman said:

Not sure why you'd want to schedule full restarts..

Just to get everything to a fresh start. Programs, when you close them, don't always close fully, and sometimes leave traces which will use up resources. This happens with some servers too. They're scheduled to do full restarts when they are not busy, to keep them "fresh".

It is also a good idea to restart your computer once a week for this reason.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude.聽

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

I prefer to find the offending task or service and schedule a service restart, or use taskill scripts. Classic example is if you're using OBS for streaming webcams 24/7. It has a tendency to hang due to errors in the input stream, and writing a taskill and app restart script once a day fixes the issue without resorting to bouncing the whole box.聽

Exchange and SQL servers are another example. I hate when sysadmins are lazy and schedule weekend reboots of the VM like we're back in Server 2003 days. Just bounce the services.

However, home users probably don't have the patience to hunt and pick each service or app. Just reboot and start fresh. Still, a full logoff usually clears most session level issues in Windows caused by sticky apps.