Weekly Sponsorship Suggestion/Complaint Thread - Feb 28, 2022

JonoT

Hey everyone! It's the weekly sponsorship suggestion thread.

If you know any companies that you think we should work with, don't hesitate to suggest it in the thread! These can be companies you may have seen sponsor other creators, digital ads, or just products you are interested in buying/using. 

Alternatively, if you have a personal or seen problems with any of the sponsors that we work with feel free to add it below, but keep it objectional (e.g. Fanboyism).

It doesn't have to be in the technology space too!

Business Team Members: 

@SeanLMG
@GeoffLMG
@BellLMG

@CPotter
@JonoT

So what is up with the new sponsor, karma? It seems to be very similar to honey. Has honey been dropped? I, for one, think that honey became very annoying and when you removed the extension, I got an email almost everyday basically saying, "where did you go?"

3 hours ago, Ocraftyone said:

So what is up with the new sponsor, karma? It seems to be very similar to honey. Has honey been dropped? I, for one, think that honey became very annoying and when you removed the extension, I got an email almost everyday basically saying, "where did you go?"

I left honey due to privacy.

Any one here got a tldr on karmas privacy?

15 hours ago, JonoT said:

Hey everyone! It's the weekly sponsorship suggestion thread.

If you know any companies that you think we should work with, don't hesitate to suggest it in the thread! These can be companies you may have seen sponsor other creators, digital ads, or just products you are interested in buying/using. 

Alternatively, if you have a personal or seen problems with any of the sponsors that we work with feel free to add it below, but keep it objectional (e.g. Fanboyism).

It doesn't have to be in the technology space too!

Business Team Members: 

@SeanLMG
@GeoffLMG
@BellLMG

@CPotter
@JonoT

Does dbrand have plans to do an ltt steamdeck skin? I think that would be cool, like the previous ltt collabs with dbrand. Might be a little late, but hey

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

5 hours ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

Does dbrand have plans to do an ltt steamdeck skin? I think that would be cool, like the previous ltt collabs with dbrand. Might be a little late, but hey

We can bring it up, I think they're concentrating on getting the project killswitch in a shippable state. We can highlight that there's interest in the LTT skins for the steam deck.

https://dbrand.com/killswitch

Sorry, that a thing like this is my first contribution for your forums, but I have feedback on you advertising msi monitors.

Tl:Dr:

- boght a msi monitor

- had an issue, figured out exactly, what that issue is on my own with software

- msi ghosts me

- my retailer refuses to help me, because they said it's MSIs job

- issue I'm having is just effecting the USB/SD-hub, but it still is not okay.

So I've bought a msi creator monitor and it has a technical issue. It exposes a storage device via usb, but that device actually does not work, causing kernel warnings and stability issues while my monitor is plugged in via USB-C.

So I made a ticket literally with the ID of the component that failed asking if they can help me out.

Yet MSI just refuses to even write me back (except for automatic response). I've been waiting for almost 3 months now on 2 tickets.

They do not provide any contact mail on their website (that I was able to find and that was not specifically for another region), their "live chat" is the worst bot I've seen so far and they ignore my support requests via the web form. Telephone support just leads nowhere.

They don't even have a street address, I can send letters to in Germany.

And the German online store I've bought it from refuses to help me as well, because they say it's msi's job.

So yeah, msi refuses to help out costumers and does not provide the legal minimum of contact information on their site.

I have not yet tried to file a third ticket asking for the device to be send in for service, but I mean ... technically everything "works as advertised", it's just that It fills up my logs with garbage.

OK, serious suggestion time (for me, I'm not saying your suggestions aren't serious). You guys have brushed on old GPUs a couple times with your "Earliest SLI setup" and other stuff to that regard. I would suggest a collaboration with LGR (Lazy Game Reviews). 

Why?

Well, the history of nVidia, AMD (and ATI by extension), 3DFX, Diamond, Matrox, Cyrix and more are all interesting, and offer useful insight into how computers work and how the tech industry works. You could make them a TechQuickie, or a full blown video titled something like "The long Forgotten CPU Company Nobody has Heard of" (Cyrix).

LGR has good in depth videos already, but you could make more of an overview, and you could borrow some of the rare parts from his collection.

12 hours ago, sticklebricks said:

Hey!

We ended the partnership with Honey due to the way their service interacted with affiliate links. Essentially, if someone clicked on a affiliate link (For example, one of ours below in the video description on YouTube), and then if they "use honey" and search for a deal, Honey will override that tracking link even if they don't find you a deal. 

That didn't jive with us, so we ended the partnership. After some searching, we stumbled upon Karma, and yesterday was the first sponsor spot we've done with them. @SeanLMGhas tested the product, but please let us know your thoughts on them (If you decide to give them a try).

Here's a link to their privacy policy: https://www.karmanow.com/privacy

1 hour ago, betalars said:

Sorry, that a thing like this is my first contribution for your forums, but I have feedback on you advertising msi monitors.

Tl:Dr:

- boght a msi monitor

- had an issue, figured out exactly, what that issue is on my own with software

- msi ghosts me

- my retailer refuses to help me, because they said it's MSIs job

- issue I'm having is just effecting the USB/SD-hub, but it still is not okay.

So I've bought a msi creator monitor and it has a technical issue. It exposes a storage device via usb, but that device actually does not work, causing kernel warnings and stability issues while my monitor is plugged in via USB-C.

So I made a ticket literally with the ID of the component that failed asking if they can help me out.

Yet MSI just refuses to even write me back (except for automatic response). I've been waiting for almost 3 months now on 2 tickets.

They do not provide any contact mail on their website (that I was able to find and that was not specifically for another region), their "live chat" is the worst bot I've seen so far and they ignore my support requests via the web form. Telephone support just leads nowhere.

They don't even have a street address, I can send letters to in Germany.

And the German online store I've bought it from refuses to help me as well, because they say it's msi's job.

So yeah, msi refuses to help out costumers and does not provide the legal minimum of contact information on their site.

I have not yet tried to file a third ticket asking for the device to be send in for service, but I mean ... technically everything "works as advertised", it's just that It fills up my logs with garbage.

Hey @betalars I sent you a DM for when you have a moment. Please respond with your ticket numbers, as well as the monitor name and the ID of the component causing issues. I'm going to follow up with our rep and investigate this, hopefully we can get it figured out for you! 

DMs sent!

Also ... when you have to go trough LTT to have your support tickets resolved ... 😅

But thanks for doing this. I think it can genuinely do much good! Let's see, what will become of this.

11 hours ago, CPotter said:

Hey!

We ended the partnership with Honey due to the way their service interacted with affiliate links. Essentially, if someone clicked on a affiliate link (For example, one of ours below in the video description on YouTube), and then if they "use honey" and search for a deal, Honey will override that tracking link even if they don't find you a deal. 

That didn't jive with us, so we ended the partnership. After some searching, we stumbled upon Karma, and yesterday was the first sponsor spot we've done with them. @SeanLMGhas tested the product, but please let us know your thoughts on them (If you decide to give them a try).

Agree with your decision there definitely!

Maybe if I can't sleep one night I'll read that policy and try karma if it's reasonable.

On 3/1/2022 at 4:08 PM, JonoT said:

We can bring it up, I think they're concentrating on getting the project killswitch in a shippable state. We can highlight that there's interest in the LTT skins for the steam deck.

https://dbrand.com/killswitch

Alrighty, thanks! wasn't sure if it was in the works or not, just thought it might be cool! 

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

On 3/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, DANK_AS_gay said:

OK, serious suggestion time (for me, I'm not saying your suggestions aren't serious). You guys have brushed on old GPUs a couple times with your "Earliest SLI setup" and other stuff to that regard. I would suggest a collaboration with LGR (Lazy Game Reviews). 

Why?

Well, the history of nVidia, AMD (and ATI by extension), 3DFX, Diamond, Matrox, Cyrix and more are all interesting, and offer useful insight into how computers work and how the tech industry works. You could make them a TechQuickie, or a full blown video titled something like "The long Forgotten CPU Company Nobody has Heard of" (Cyrix).

LGR has good in depth videos already, but you could make more of an overview, and you could borrow some of the rare parts from his collection.

Agreed. LGR is pretty cool, and I (forgive me if I'm wrong) remeber linus mentioning him in a wan show a while back. 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:27 PM, CPotter said:

Hey!

While a lot of the discount codes and price tracking seems nice, I was pretty surprised to see them as a LMS sponsor.

Linus has spoken out against the anti-consumer impacts of buy now pay later integrations like Klarna has. Just seemed a bit at odds with what I understood LMG's stance on those sorts of things were.

Is there a reasoning behind why LMG decided this was an appropriate sponsor?

edit: realized i've mixed up Karma and Klarna. Karma does not seem to have the buy now pay later feature that Klarna is based around.

Edited by Brian 105

I'm looking for an imaging software that is easy to use for a small/medium-sized org. Does LTT have a sponsor in this realm?

On 3/1/2022 at 1:18 PM, DANK_AS_gay said:

Why?

15 hours ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

Agreed. LGR is pretty cool, and I (forgive me if I'm wrong) remeber linus mentioning him in a wan show a while back. 

Thanks for the suggestion and the discussion, but send over the ideas to our LTT video suggestion thread as we want this thread to be about sponsors. 

1 hour ago, DarkThemed said:

I'm looking for an imaging software that is easy to use for a small/medium-sized org. Does LTT have a sponsor in this realm?

Hey There!

For imaging, we work with SmartDeploy for sponsorship and have been great to work with. Maybe check them out and see if they work for your company 🙂

https://www.smartdeploy.com/linus/?utm_source=linus&utm_campaign=2022q1&utm_medium=sp&utm_content=cloud

1 hour ago, GeoffLMG said:

Hey There!

For imaging, we work with SmartDeploy for sponsorship and have been great to work with. Maybe check them out and see if they work for your company 🙂

https://www.smartdeploy.com/linus/?utm_source=linus&utm_campaign=2022q1&utm_medium=sp&utm_content=cloud

Thanks, @GeoffLMG do you have a link to any ongoing sponsorships/deals that we can perhaps support LMG with?

Just now, DarkThemed said:

Thanks, @GeoffLMG do you have a link to any ongoing sponsorships/deals that we can perhaps support LMG with?

Nvm your link did that... Sorry!

11 hours ago, 1518 said:

On 3/1/2022 at 3:36 AM, sticklebricks said:

That's a different Karma company, they don't use similar logos. Credit karma is a credit card company Karma Shopping Ltd. that does buisness of Karma has no connection to Credit Karma which is a branch of Intuit group companies.

What are your thoughts on Alibaba's sponsorship of the latest Techquickie, given Alibaba's connections to the CCP?

Hi!

My first contribution to the forums, so go easy on me if I mess something up 😄

While I don't have any personal experience with their products or their competitors, I would suggest another look into Manscaped, as from what I gather they seem to be selling an overpriced yet subpar product in its category wrapped in a massive advertising budget. I'm no expert in trimmers and hair care, so I'll just leave my favourite of many reviews from channels focused on this type of thing. On top of this, I often see comments about quickly failing units under their ads on social media. A few quick points from the video since you probably don't want to spend 10m on it:

- Steering people towards subscriptions with small print

- Vague/misleading(?) advertising:

- "SkinSafe Technology" is just a blade guard. Like every other trimmer. Not even adjustable.

- "Quiet Motor Tech" just runs at a lower RPM. Cheaper alternative in video even has adjustable RPM.

- A generally worse quality (battery life, blades, etc.) than competitors at a higher price.

They're not doing anything illegal, so I guess this technically falls under opinion, but it feels kind of scammy to advertise a product leagues worse than what you can get for significantly cheaper.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, CPotter said:

Hey!

I’m very glad to hear this. I specially came to this section of the forums (hearing about it) to talk about Honey. I had/have very big privacy concerns everytime the ‘free’ online shoppingtool was mentioned. There is no such thing as free, if you’re not paying, you are the product. 
My brother installed it and while using decent tracking prevention that worked, he suddenly got a lot of targeted ads in the time that he had Honey.

On 3/4/2022 at 8:37 PM, James Evens said:

Had twice to contact MSI support. Both cases where handled great:

1. specification normally not mentioned -> 2 days later I had it

2. BIOS bug. Communication was a bit difficult and took like 2 weeks but in the end I received a updated bios with the bug fixed.

I'd be happy to hear that I am an outlier. I have also seen, tha germany might be specifically having poor service. Other countries for instance have mail addresses you can write to.