Buying new TV, which brands are safe in regards to spamming me with ads?

TooUnskilled
Go to solution Solved by BlueChinchillaEatingDorito,
39 minutes ago, TooUnskilled said:

Hi 🙂

I remember seeing some horror stories about some smart TVs having unavoidable built in ads, I think LG was a big offender.

Anyone have recommendations on safe brands, or which ones to avoid?

Thanks 🙂

I think it's more of an Android problem because a quick search (I'm still using dumb 1080P TVs) reveals the ads all stem from Google TV updates. 

According to Rtings, Visio and Sony appear to be the best in this regard. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/ads-in-smart-tv

Or you can just buy whichever TV has the best image quality at the right price and use something like a Roku, Apple TV, etc. and not the Smart TV features. 

Hi 🙂

I remember seeing some horror stories about some smart TVs having unavoidable built in ads, I think LG was a big offender.

Thanks 🙂

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKsJvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Asus 3080 Turbo
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 

39 minutes ago, TooUnskilled said:

Hi 🙂

Thanks 🙂

I think it's more of an Android problem because a quick search (I'm still using dumb 1080P TVs) reveals the ads all stem from Google TV updates. 

Or you can just buy whichever TV has the best image quality at the right price and use something like a Roku, Apple TV, etc. and not the Smart TV features. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I think it's more of an Android thing problem because a quick search (I'm still using dumb 1080P TVs) reveals the ads all stem from Google TV updates. 

Awesome, thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKsJvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Asus 3080 Turbo
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 

Some Vizio's, most Sony's and LG TV's (as long as you don't use the built in apps).

Then the really bad example is Samsung, who will show you ads even when you change inputs or start the TV. eww (Oh, and it starts after 30 days so you can't return the TV for it)

On 2/23/2022 at 3:06 PM, IPD said:

The problem is---you connected your smart TV to the internet.

While I agree with this sentiment, there is a fault in the thought process.

You bought a Smart TV. It has a built in Android box or Roku. You paid for that feature. It's very convenient. If you want something else that will do the same thing, you need to drop $30-200 on an external device that may have ads anyway OR get an update later and have ads. (Looking at you ChromeCast with Google TV)

For me, as long as I can avoid advertisements when the TV turns on and when switching inputs, it's fine with me. I just hate seeing a Samsung TV and when you change inputs there's an HBO Max ad. Eww. My LG CX (and my Chromecast) both updated and got ads through the Android TV features. I never really see them though as I immediately just launch Plex/Netflix/YouTube on my Chromecast before anything loads and I don't use the built in apps for anything. 

The REAL solution to all of this is to just block the addresses on your router. Get a TV for its display/features, not for it's UI or lack of advertisements. 

On 2/24/2022 at 5:19 PM, Colty said:

While I agree with this sentiment, there is a fault in the thought process.

You bought a Smart TV. It has a built in Android box or Roku. You paid for that feature. It's very convenient. If you want something else that will do the same thing, you need to drop $30-200 on an external device that may have ads anyway OR get an update later and have ads. (Looking at you ChromeCast with Google TV)

For me, as long as I can avoid advertisements when the TV turns on and when switching inputs, it's fine with me. I just hate seeing a Samsung TV and when you change inputs there's an HBO Max ad. Eww. My LG CX (and my Chromecast) both updated and got ads through the Android TV features. I never really see them though as I immediately just launch Plex/Netflix/YouTube on my Chromecast before anything loads and I don't use the built in apps for anything. 

The REAL solution to all of this is to just block the addresses on your router. Get a TV for its display/features, not for it's UI or lack of advertisements. 

HTPC and you can directly log in to the streaming platforms without the fluff

6 hours ago, IPD said:

HTPC and you can directly log in to the streaming platforms without the fluff

While I do use an HTPC / laptop to play content on our Smart TV, I've still paid for the Smart TV features. Please link us to a store that sells the EXACT SAME models of Samsung, LG, and Sony TV's without the Smart TV capability at a few hundred dollars less than the Smart TV equivalent.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

13 hours ago, kirashi said:

While I do use an HTPC / laptop to play content on our Smart TV, I've still paid for the Smart TV features. Please link us to a store that sells the EXACT SAME models of Samsung, LG, and Sony TV's without the Smart TV capability at a few hundred dollars less than the Smart TV equivalent.

You don't understand how it works.  The same TV without those smart features costs MORE...not less.  That's because you're the PRODUCT, not the consumer.

You aren't paying for those features.  You're getting a discount because of them.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

You don't understand how it works.  The same TV without those smart features costs MORE...not less.  That's because you're the PRODUCT, not the consumer.

You aren't paying for those features.  You're getting a discount because of them.

To us technically minded people, correct, but to the average consumer that's not how things are advertised. Regardless, I'd simply like to purchase a TV with no Smart features, either for less or for more money than a TV with Smart features. The problem is that consumers don't have a choice, and thus are stuck with Smart TV's no matter where they look. Call me old fashioned, but not everything needs to be Smart, nor does everyone want everything to be Smart.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 2/20/2022 at 5:09 PM, Colty said:

Some Vizio's, most Sony's and LG TV's (as long as you don't use the built in apps).

Then the really bad example is Samsung, who will show you ads even when you change inputs or start the TV. eww (Oh, and it starts after 30 days so you can't return the TV for it)

Buy from Co$tco and you got 90s days to return, just do it before the time is up not on the day of

15 hours ago, kirashi said:

To us technically minded people, correct, but to the average consumer that's not how things are advertised. Regardless, I'd simply like to purchase a TV with no Smart features, either for less or for more money than a TV with Smart features. The problem is that consumers don't have a choice, and thus are stuck with Smart TV's no matter where they look. Call me old fashioned, but not everything needs to be Smart, nor does everyone want everything to be Smart.

The net effect is that everyone pays less for a display.  So I'll live with "smart" being shoveled down everyone's throat.  I will also never connect it to the internet.

I agree about everything being too smart.  I like tech; and I prefer only physical switches to operate it.  I don't need my refrigerator communicating to google about food ads to send me.  I don't need my toilet analyzing my poop and trying to sell me medications.  I don't want my thermostat hijacked by someone accessing it remotely--and either causing extensive HVAC damage & an astronomically high bill--or killing me because the temperature is inhospitable.  And I certainly don't want the tech giants being any more well versed in my appreciation of dank memes and excessively dark humor.  When there's a knock on the front door--because someone wants to have a word with you about your online habits--that should send chills down everyone's spine....

I recently bought a Spectre 55 inch, without smart features. A couple shortcomings, but nothing I call a deal-breaker. The 2016 model I bought was $588 with a 4-year protection plan through Amazon -- something I recommend as so many electronic devices fail between 1-2 years with high usage. Only thing about the one I got, the listing mentioned 120hz refresh, that is only with a certain enhancement feature turned on, otherwise it is 60hz, and I actually had to smack some smarts into Win10 to get it to go above 30hz. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it though.

Edited by An0maly_76

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!