I have some regrets - Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade

SeanLMG

2:30 Consider contributing to science with your GPU crunching Folding@home or Rosetta@home rather than proof-by-work mining busy work.

BOINC manager with World Community Grid or Sidock projects attached, for the CPU cores to help heat your shop even more! There is a Linus team.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:32 PM, HenrySalayne said:

@ColinLTT

Kudos for the new sub. 😉

Using different subwoofers together is quite tricky. The ported design (and also any filters) will mess up the phase response. It's highly unlikely two different subwoofers with different processing will work together and you will get destructive interference at certain frequencies. You will need quite a capable loudspeaker controller to equalize the phase responses (and measuring equipment  to do so). 

Additionally, adding a more capable subwoofer renders the old one probably obsolete. Because audio levels are logarithmic, two identical, coherent sources will add together by +6 dB. If one source is 10 dB lower volume (half the perceived level) it will add only +2 dB. So if your new subwoofer is big step up from your old one just get rid of it. Sound quality will improve and the volume difference will be negligible. 

I just turned my living room into a makeshift workshop to build a new stand-up desk, so I'm a little envious about your glorious shop. A completely oversized loudspeaker system seems to be perfect for place where people normally wear hearing protection. 😅

Yep - the ear pro is part of why the sound system is a bit large. Gotta get over the whine of machines. 

I really don't care too much about audiophile precociousness. I just don't have the bandwidth to argue on the internet with sound nerds. 

On 2/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, Kevo05s said:

@ColinLTT
Hi Colin,

I'm simply curious about what genre of music that you listen to that makes you want this much bass? I'm a big fan of dubstep and this is by far looking like a dream to listen to it on!

Its a pretty wide spread, check out the playlists in the description for a subset. I'm part of the Shambhala Music Festival build team (spending ~3 weeks on the farm every year stagebuilding/showrunning) so the lineup there is another good example. 

On 2/19/2022 at 6:41 PM, slappomatt said:

Ok, the OG no longer relevant msrp was 800 not 700, and even then 800 + 3600 + 500 he paid used for the music streamer puts him right at limit with tax and shipping. Plus the tig finger PC upgrades etc. He's easily at 6k with his stated prices.

I spent ~$3k+ of my own money on this. I cant believe people get so out of shape when the total doesn't match $5k. 

On 2/20/2022 at 2:14 AM, Virus__ said:

Mad workshop. But, what was the thing blurred out in the background at the start of the video. Looked like it may be some kind of rude painting/spray painting?

Also, is this workshop for just personal fun projects, or is it like a side business?

It's a ~10ft wide spraypainted dong. It's named "old faithful" and has a gold frame around it. A leftover vestige of the previous tenant that was never painted over (I don't occupy that side of the shop). 

2 hours ago, ColinLTT said:

really don't care too much about audiophile precociousness. I just don't have the bandwidth to argue on the internet with sound nerds. 

Almost, just on the other side of the spectrum. 😜 I worked with large scale audio systems on a daily basis (since Covid it's more on a monthly basis).

Mixing and matching different loudspeakers (or arrays) is a notoriously hard task. It's a common misconception that adding more cabinets equals more volume. Sadly the interactions between different loudspeakers are quite complicated and the results are often suboptimal.

With different subwoofers you may find certain bass notes to be emphasized too much while others are barely noticeable. In this case you could try to switch off the smaller sub and it might resolve this problem.

In the end, do whatever you like the most. Take you time to tinker with this stuff. I just wanted to give you a quick heads-up what problems might occur. It doesn't need to be perfect, it should be something you enjoy. And I think that was basically the goal of your tech upgrade. 😉

That's a seriously great welder for a home shop, would be nice to see more shop content on the main channel. Seems like it's just collecting dust more days than it's being used

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

On 2/25/2022 at 4:17 AM, ColinLTT said:

It's a ~10ft wide spraypainted dong. It's named "old faithful" and has a gold frame around it. A leftover vestige of the previous tenant that was never painted over (I don't occupy that side of the shop). 

How beautiful. Shame it was censored.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

• 1 year later...

@ColinLTT

Hi colin!! 

I was watching the TickTok tips are terrible video on the linus tech tips youtube chanel when at 11:15 i noticed an AMP sticker on a mac laptop that they where doing one of the ticktok tips on and it sent me down a rabbit hole to see if one of the guys goes to shambhala or possibly all of you? From this thread im guessing that may have been your laptop possibly? I also work at shambs and think its so dope you and possibly the rest of team goes to shambs!!