ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 with LGA 1700 upgrade kit

r01100011

I purchased an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 with LGA 1700 upgrade kit bundle on Amazon.

Here was the first problem -

Upgrade kits from Amazon are shipping with incorrect number of parts. I had to buy two upgrade kits to get all the parts I needed. The first kit I purchased only had three O-rings, while the second upgrade kit only had three LGA 1700 standoffs. My suggestion, buy two kits and RMA the other once you are done building. Someone at Arctic totally dropped the ball on this when packaging the kits.

Also read the manual very carefully

https://support.arctic.de/lf2-280r6#lf2280installation

Look for assembly videos on Youtube. Don't want to post links here, because it might be against policy.

Most importantly, use the right mounting standoffs. I made the mistake of getting the standoffs mixed during the build. This was totally my fault.

https://imgur.com/a/vwpaI3e

I realized there was something wrong with the setup when I rendered a video, and the temperatures were hitting 100c. I would have expected synthetic benchmarks to do this, but not video rendering.

https://imgur.com/a/zZxsfNn

Here is an article on Arctic's website that mentions this fact.

https://support.arctic.de/lf2-lga1700

Hopefully all this will help someone.

Full Parts List

Here is the full parts list from my latest build. I will discuss more about the parts in a different post.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/6k4nTW

Installation

Out of the box, the fans are mounted on the side with the tubes, with air pushing on to the radiator. I had to the change the position of the fans, and fit them to the back of the radiator. This was necessary to accommodate the cooler with my case. There was simply not enough clearance because of the GPU. In addition to this, the size of the case restricted me from installing all three case fans. Therefore, I installed one of the spare case fans into the radiator. Refer to the picture for more information.

https://imgur.com/sVlmB1V
https://imgur.com/p7375Ft
https://imgur.com/8zgMp01

Performance

In a blended test in Prime95, the temperatures hover around 65 - 75c, and the torture test will hit 100c. This didn't matter with or without the wrong stand offs. Real world tasks on the other hand, are far more forgiving. Playing Battlefield 2042 at ultra settings, the CPU temperature is around 65c, and video rendering has never crossed 70c.

Conclusion

I am quite pleased with the cooler. I truly wish Arctic had gotten its act together with the upgrade kits. I am going to rate this 4/5.

52 minutes ago, r01100011 said:

I want to thank @rickeo for talking me out of buying the MSI MAG.

You mean this little number?

I'm not a fan of the company but I'm curious as to why you moved away from it. Not familiar with how MSI's AIOs perform.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

3 hours ago, CT854 said:

You mean this little number?

I'm not a fan of the company but I'm curious as to why you moved away from it. Not familiar with how MSI's AIOs perform.

So I was looking for a CPU cooler that is LGA1700 compatible, because Corsair didn't have any that were readily available. I saw that MSI had one available, but I never purchased an MSI cooler before. Even though I think quite highly of them with regards to their motherboards and video cards, I wanted to ask around before I took the plunge.

I made a post about it here -

@rickeomade a post with all the complaints about MSI coolers that were posted here. So I started looking around a little bit more, and I found Arctic, and I am thoroughly happy with it.

3 hours ago, r01100011 said:

So I was looking for a CPU cooler that is LGA1700 compatible, because Corsair didn't have any that were readily available. I saw that MSI had one available, but I never purchased an MSI cooler before. Even though I think quite highly of them with regards to their motherboards and video cards, I wanted to ask around before I took the plunge.

I made a post about it here -

@rickeomade a post with all the complaints about MSI coolers that were posted here. So I started looking around a little bit more, and I found Arctic, and I am thoroughly happy with it.

Speak of the devil, this video just came out.

Dead MSI MAG AIO. Huh.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

image.png.8c055a5244fc21d06d09817006205e3f.png

Amazon did not let me post the review for whatever reason.

I am going to modify it, and try submitting it again.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, CT854 said:

Speak of the devil, this video just came out.

Dead MSI MAG AIO. Huh.

I just had a chance to watch this, and while this is not to imply that every single MSI AIO is bad, I am just glad I went with Arctic.

did you notice any clearance issues with the ram slots?

I took a EKWB block from a b450 board (with a 5600x) and moved it to a z690 board (with 12700k) and i lost dimm slot 1 due to the way 1700 mounting and the position of the tube ports.