Ryzen 6000 Blew me Away

AlexTheGreatish

Did you forget to post this earlier when the video came out?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

The battery bit is way too different compared to other laptop reviewers, some people are already start calling you shill…

The Farting Horse was a California performance thoroughbred and sprinter,

one of the greatest lap endurance runners in the history of racing, possessing

an exceptional ability to pass gas in it's various moods and dramatic guises.

LMG horsie.PNG

weird seeing 6000 CPUs is out now (for laptops).

Not sure if the battery is all on the system, although intel, AMD and Nvidia talked about better balance of wattage between CPU and GPU. But nearly 2x the battery life on the same-ish workload? could sound a little bit sus? Fun to see that blue and red team fighting it out though. Also some seems confused in some comment section with this 6000 launch, mixing the iGPU with the GPU. Thinking the GPU is the 6000 CPU with iGPU, when it got an AMD RX 6000 discrete GPU.

14 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

weird seeing 6000 CPUs is out now (for laptops).

Not sure if the battery is all on the system, although intel, AMD and Nvidia talked about better balance of wattage between CPU and GPU. But nearly 2x the battery life on the same-ish workload? could sound a little bit sus? Fun to see that blue and red team fighting it out though. Also some seems confused in some comment section with this 6000 launch, mixing the iGPU with the GPU. Thinking the GPU is the 6000 CPU with iGPU, when it got an AMD RX 6000 discrete GPU.

Might be because of LTT testing using AV1 video, and new Radeon GPUs have AV1 decode whereas older ones didn't have the AV1 decoder.

25 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Snip

I can get my 4700U APU to about 7 or 8 hours of Youtube playback. My system is Lenovo Yoga 6 13ARE05 with Ryzen 7 4700U, 16GB RAM, and upgraded 1TB NVMe SSD, using Wi-Fi AC about 4 feet away from Access Point. I also use the Windows Power Management and set to battery saving, LCD Brightness at 20-70%. Battery from full charge to almost drain where Windows asks you to plug in the power.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

YO LTT

Please test the iGPU to see if it can play 8k60 AV1 smoothly here. Task manager should show little cpu load, and all load on gpu.

of course make sure you have the Av1 extension from microsoft first.

I wonder if RDNA2 supports 8k60 av1 video like Intel Xe does.

gotta see how future-proof this is

Great video as always Alex. One question though, it seems like the gaming testing was undertaken on an igpu not a dedicated one. Is the 6800s not a dedicated gpu? 

I'm looking forward to these APUs to potentially replace my ageing Ryzen 5 2500U laptop.

Apart from the huge leap in CPU performance I'm very interested in the RDNA2 iGPU. I don't do any AAA gaming on my laptop and that was never the intention, but being able to play a few strategy or indie titles when not at home is nice, and while the 2500U's Vega GPU was a huge leap from anything Intel could offer at the time, well, it's not exactly fast.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

9 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Why aren’t we compare both the the M1 Max? That being the PPW king in the performance bracket 

Partly because they are for totally different audiences, mostly because I didn't have enough time.

8 hours ago, GobonJinten said:

Great video as always Alex. One question though, it seems like the gaming testing was undertaken on an igpu not a dedicated one. Is the 6800s not a dedicated gpu? 

Going to do all the dGPU in the full G14 review, wanted to purely focus on Ryzen 6000 for this video.

40 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Partly because they are for totally different audiences, mostly because I didn't have enough time.

Fair enough

21 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Going to do all the dGPU in the full G14 review, wanted to purely focus on Ryzen 6000 for this video.

Thanks for the the clarification, makes perfect sense! 

First time in a long time I'm genuinely surprised by next generation performance gains. 

This is just awesome. I too think that this is one huge performance gain in the laptop industry. The battery longevity is astonishing.