Move the LTT Official forum group to below the "The Hub" group

Helpful Tech Witch

I very quickly discovered the minimize functionality, which I didn't realize existed before.
This section is now minimized 90% of the time instead of glanced over half the time.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

the thing is, its takes some time to minimize each time you reload. (even worse with weak devices and weak internet.)

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

On 2/10/2022 at 7:57 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Imo its just about getting used to new layout, nothing more. If you look at any other major forum, the official/housekeeping subforums are on top, before general discussion subs start.

Just because others are doing it doesn't mean that wee should do it or even that it's convenient / right.

9 hours ago, cmndr said:

I very quickly discovered the minimize functionality, which I didn't realize existed before.
This section is now minimized 90% of the time instead of glanced over half the time.

If you log into a different device you have to minimize it again. If you like privacy if you log back in the same device you have to minimize again

10 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Didn't Linus once say on a WAN show they didn't really care what we did on the forums regarding LTT? Seems like that doesn't really apply here with the huge WATCH OUR VIDEOS OR ELSE section. 

I completely agree it seems like this is going from a place where fellow tech nerds meet and going to a place where linus tech tips watchers watch and discuss about linus tech tips and lmg.

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

18 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

-snip-

for those who want to know

removing the code

// To remove LTT Official entirely
try {
  document.querySelector('[data-categoryid="99"]').remove()
}catch(ex){console.log(ex)}

will add it back

i'm incredibly disappointed in the mods behavior with this issue, the fact that you are acting like children saying 'iTs PeRfEcT yOu DoN'T kNoW wHaT yOu aRe tAlKiNg aBoTt!!!!!!!111' is down right not appropriate for people in your position.

i hope you grow up and apologize for your behavior, the way you acted is not cool.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Mods getting ratio'd on the forum, i didn't think i'd see this day

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

37 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Mods getting ratio'd on the forum, i didn't think i'd see this day

So far, it has only been me voicing my public opinion. And if its me against the masses, so be it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

So far, it has only been me voicing my public opinion. And if its me against the masses, so be it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Sic Semper Tyrannus

14 hours ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

I completely agree it seems like this is going from a place where fellow tech nerds meet and going to a place where linus tech tips watchers watch and discuss about linus tech tips and lmg.

As if forum by forum dying off wasn't bad enough.  Let's invent new ways to kill of the few that remain.  Of course, to the powers that be, this is simply about "press to test", because there are fewer and fewer alternatives, so the buffoonery can ramp up without negative repercussion. 

17 hours ago, adarw said:

the thing is, its takes some time to minimize each time you reload. (even worse with weak devices and weak internet.)

I noticed this as well this weekend when I was on low reception 4G.

The entire page will load, and then it gets minimized. It feels like those websites that will load the article and then the ad, so that you accidentally click the ad when you try and click some other button. Kind of annoying. Not saying that that's the forum's intentions, but the end result is similar, if you are on a slow Internet connection.

I've changed my bookmark from:

https://linustechtips.com/

to:

https://linustechtips.com/forum/80-the-hub/

If they want to bring the LTT Official part up more that's fine by me, but LTT employees should at least be somewhat present in that case. There are only a few new threads each day, most of them just being the video releases. Other than @ColinLTT I've almost never seen any LTT employee having any presence at all on the rest of the forum. Most of the OP's posting about new videos don't even react or answer to simple questions after posting. And it's not like the video threads typically devolve into thousands of comments so monitoring that should be possible. (linux challenge is an exception) But how it is now i'm not sure most of the employees even read the content posted on their threads.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

This thread is absolutely rife with first world problems. 😄

Anyhow, the new layout is perfectly fine. I couldn't care less if it remained as is, or was returned to the old layout. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 2/10/2022 at 2:29 PM, LogicalDrm said:

If you don't have need to read forums in that section, you can minimize it.

OMFG!!!! DUDE, YOU MADE IT LOOK JUST LIKE THE OLD FORUMS!!!!!!

Happy Valentines day!!! heart heart!!

255089199_Easypeasy.thumb.png.82862d5032441c359b6b187ad1acdcc9.png

• 2 weeks later...

This change is a major annoyance, especially on mobile where even using the minimize feature takes a while to take effect since the connection is often poor on cellular.

If I didn't know any better I'd say that the change is a deliberate attempt at a dark pattern to force people to use parts of the website they didn't use of their own free will.

Whatever the motivation, the change is infuriating and imo should be reverted to the way it originally was.

@jakkuh_t Any chance this change will be reverted/reversed?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

29 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Any chance this change will be reverted/reversed?

Decision comes from LMG. Forum staff has very little voice in it. You might want to address @jakkuh_t instead.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Now that some time has passed since the changes,I can say with 100% certainty that it affected negatively the Hub category,

There is a significant reduction in activity there,and this used to be the most active category in the forums.

Now it feels like the overall activity in the forums has been reduced.

Bad decisions have been made,no doubt about it.i wonder if @colonel_mortis can do something about it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Now that some time has passed since the changes,I can say with 100% certainty that it affected negatively the Hub category,

There is a significant reduction in activity there,and this used to be the most active category in the forums.

Bad decisions have been made,no doubt about it.i wonder if @colonel_mortis can do something about it.

Again, decision was made by LMG. We can only make requests and they either agree or disagree. Its not like admin can in good faith undo changes by owners without their agreement on changes.

As for activity, I don't really read Tech News and Off Topic, so can't say for sure. General Discussion has been pretty much same. Maybe bit less of post dumping, but thats only good effect if it really is related.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 4 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 11:13 PM, Vishera said:

Yeah def less activity. Linus might have to cancel on the "oldest growing tech forum" thing

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

20 hours ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

Yeah def less activity. Linus might have to cancel on the "oldest growing tech forum" thing

no 100% not, theres like 3 tech forums left really at this point
This
ocn
XDA
and this is definitly the fastest growing out of all of them

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

• 6 months later...
On 7/26/2022 at 6:01 AM, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

Almost a year later and "The Hub" Category is dead now compared to how it used to be.

In my opinion it was a big mistake that did a lot of damage to the activity in the category.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

The order of the categories should be customizable. Bonus points for a per-device/all-devices option. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

8 hours ago, Vishera said:

Almost a year later and "The Hub" Category is dead now compared to how it used to be.

In my opinion it was a big mistake that did a lot of damage to the activity in the category.

This a feeling or do you have numbers to back it up? For me, with mainly GD to look at, there hasn't been any change. There's much bigger argument to be made for the more niche subs, like Hobby Electronics and Hot Deals.

3 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

The order of the categories should be customizable. Bonus points for a per-device/all-devices option. 

Custom order could be possible, though you already can collapse those you don't actively read. Per device would be cookie based, so I imagine that's also possible.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv