TV for watching Series and Gaming

Agilolfinger

Hello,

I'm searching for a TV.

It should be 55" or 65".

But I'm not sure about the display technology. I know the technical differences between OLED and LED. But I don't know what to buy.

As mentioned in the title I mostly watch series like GoT or Witcher. But also not so image demanding things like B99.

On daytime it can get bright in my living room but I also don't want to make the compromise for a bad LED panel just to see things during the day.

OLED is also still quite expensive at this price ranges. I want to stay between 800$ and 1300$.

Anything you can recommend or tips?

Thank you

Bright Room

Needs to be budget friendly

You can pretty much rule out OLED right there.  IMHO, there's no such thing as a "bad LED panel".  Just panels that are sold for more than they are worth.  I would really just start by checking out floor displays at local big-box stores, with the understanding that most of them are set to "display mode" which means saturation and brightness are cranked WAY up.  Still, you might at least be able to get a feel for what "all black" is going to look like, with the acknowledgement that it will never look quite as good as OLED.

I would always err on the side of "too large", and if those are the only sizes you are looking at, 65" all the way.  A 55" is very mediocre beyond 6' (72" distance).  Some might be happy all the way to 110" distance, but YMMV.  I see several listings for 65" below $800 on Amazon right now. 

1 hour ago, Agilolfinger said:

Hello,

I'm searching for a TV.

It should be 55" or 65".

But I'm not sure about the display technology. I know the technical differences between OLED and LED. But I don't know what to buy.

As mentioned in the title I mostly watch series like GoT or Witcher. But also not so image demanding things like B99.

On daytime it can get bright in my living room but I also don't want to make the compromise for a bad LED panel just to see things during the day.

OLED is also still quite expensive at this price ranges. I want to stay between 800$ and 1300$.

Anything you can recommend or tips?

Thank you

I'd go with an LED (technically, LED-lit LCD) TV for the brightness. OLED is considerably better in brightly lit rooms than it once was (I have an LG C7 myself), but if you know you'll be using your TV mid-day much of the time, you're better off with an LED set.

Despite what IPD says, there are different quality levels of LCD panels; better contrast, better viewing angles, better color accuracy... you get the idea. Samsung generally makes strong sets in that price and size range, and I would rather get a 55-inch high-quality set than a so-so 65-inch set, as long as viewing distance wasn't a major issue. Snag a QN90 if you can, or a QN85/QN80 if you can't. Hisense's U8G is a good alternative.

Hey, I never said there weren't differences in LCD panels.  It's just that some 55" are worth $800 and some are worth $200.

Thank you for your input. So I think I will opt for an Neo QLED or something in this area.

BTW me viewing distance is about 2,8m or 9ft i think 🙂

10 minutes ago, Agilolfinger said:

Thank you for your input. So I think I will opt for an Neo QLED or something in this area.

BTW me viewing distance is about 2,8m or 9ft i think 🙂

If it were me, 65" or larger.  55" is on the outer edge of 1:2 for that.

On 2/8/2022 at 5:50 PM, IPD said:

Hey, I never said there weren't differences in LCD panels.  It's just that some 55" are worth $800 and some are worth $200.

My apologies. You're certainly right about that... I've seen expensive sets with mediocre panels and low-cost sets with surprisingly good panels.