Finally Spending My YouTube Money

jakkuh_t

Yvonne's magenta highlights looks fantastic. Am wondering if she does that herself?

If this was 20 years ago, I could buy my parent's old place right now. Regrettably, time machines do not exist (the house is now above 4x), and it seems like the more money I make, the higher housing climbs. Need to really step on the gas with the photography side hustle.

Pretty awesome home there, Linus, and those renovations will really push it over the top. Wishing you many years of enjoyment there. 😁

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, petor123 said:

this is why its okay to use adblock 

And ofc we're gonna keep that discussion going.

Jeez, it's been a week and the megathread for this ahs reached 20 pages already, I'm genuinely tired of hearing both sides argue.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

8 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

And ofc we're gonna keep that discussion going.

Jeez, it's been a week and the megathread for this ahs reached 20 pages already, I'm genuinely tired of hearing both sides argue.

It's one of those battles where the only winning move is to refrain. Whether Linus's hot take was right or wrong, it has zero impact upon my life. There's no shame in avoiding a battle (even if you are "in the right") that doesn't serve a purpose.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

My girlfriend wants a pretty place. At one point her condo looked like an Ikea magazine.

I got her a subwoofer. She eventually came around.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

"a fun threesome"

Love the wholesome comment Jake.

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

If someone would be willing to share the name of the general contractor that organized all of this I would appreciate it. I'm looking at a VERY similar renovation this year and I just can't find anyone who understands the whole picture, especially the IT infrastructure parts. I would definitely fly this person and crew from Canada for the job.

2 minutes ago, omniful said:

If someone would be willing to share the name of the general contractor that organized all of this I would appreciate it. I'm looking at a VERY similar renovation this year and I just can't find anyone who understands the whole picture, especially the IT infrastructure parts. I would definitely fly this person and crew from Canada for the job.

I don't believe they've provided that information publicly, but presumably they are a high-end general contractor who works in the Greater Vancouver Area.

Oh yeah, I wonder with Yvonne's issues with Thunderbolt 3 on Windows if they would be fixed if for her PC they instead used a different operating system and set up so on boot it opens a virtualized Windows session. Either on with MacOS or Linux on the back end. Though admittedly while it might improve reliability, Linus would probably not  find troubleshooting it to be as easy as he's not used to MacOS or Linux.

48 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

"a fun threesome"

Love the wholesome comment Jake.

That was something I actually laughed too hard at

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

If Linus wants to get rid of the extra stats you could use Loytec Controllers to controls the AC. They are IP based controls that are 100% open. You can get controllers to talk to any HVAC or BAS protocol, and they support Node-Red integration natively so you can build as much integration to Home Assistant as you want. You could send the temperature from the Zigbee stats over Node-Red.

Have y’all looked into Crestron NVX/NAX (Network Video/Audio) systems for managing all the AV? I know it’s a bit out of touch with the consumer stuff but you could write a Home Assistant plugin to manage it. It would keep you from needing to buy 10 PlayStations and DVD players and putting them all over the house. 

I would really recommend at least taking a look into it. 

disclosure; I am an engineer for Crestron but this is not sponsored message. I do not speak for the company. 

This video reminds me of LTT roast

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

In regards to remote buttons for actuating the start and reset buttons.

All one needs is two of these, one for each signal:
image.png.c5af01035a6c269a5f04e2db61315c50.png

Any small signal NPN transistor should do.
The 100nF capacitor on the transistor's base is to negate any EMI from reeking havoc on the system. And the transistor is mainly there so we don't have to send any major currents long distance. 5V can be gotten from almost any USB port, thanks to the 5Vsb from the PSU. (a nice use for one of those extra internal USB 2.0 headers one usually have left over.) With this circuit, one should logically be able to extend the signal a more or less silly distance. (likely a good few km.) Though, I would go with twisted pairs as to further reduce EMI.

37 minutes ago, ntindle said:

Have y’all looked into Crestron NVX/NAX (Network Video/Audio) systems for managing all the AV? I know it’s a bit out of touch with the consumer stuff but you could write a Home Assistant plugin to manage it. It would keep you from needing to buy 10 PlayStations and DVD players and putting them all over the house. 

I would really recommend at least taking a look into it. 

disclosure; I am an engineer for Crestron but this is not sponsored message. I do not speak for the company. 

The AV is not of concern, Linus has previously explained but while he has a blu-ray/DVD collection he copies them onto his Plex server and streams them through that. Making dvd players unnecessary.

Loving the future proofing with the conduit. We have the exact same plan for when we start the build on our new house. I may have gone one step further (too far?) and planned conduit to every outlet and camera.

We designed the conduit right to the attic space so you get as many vertical drops as possible (for easy cable pulls) then route the cable back down to the server room. Although we didn't have the complexity of basement to deal with in the design. 

Also may have gone OTT and planned conduit to the front driveway to a cabinet with a remote lock on it, for guests to charge rather than having to swap the cars around. 

Love this series - please do more on it!

[20 years in the future...]

Linus: "Where did I run that conduit?!"

Cyber-Jake: *Digs through New New New New [etc] New Vault for the raw footage from this shoot*

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Out of curiosity, why does Jake have input on Linus' house? Are they related?

40 minutes ago, lord DJCTE said:

Jake is the smart home guy at LTT and he is overseeing the reno project. 

2 hours ago, James Evens said:

How about  optoisolation?

Differential signaling like RS485. CAN should also work well but then you need to think more about termination/ transmission lines in general.

Opto isolation can be used if one expects the other side to not be at the same ground potential. This would however be strange if one just runs a bit of twisted wire up to another floor and over to an otherwise insulated button.

RS484/232 is generally rather overkill for a simple remote switch due to the extra complexities that it carries. Then one could instead just use a Raspberry PI or Aurdino and hook it straight into the home automation suite, something that wouldn't be particularly hard in practice, though dubious to why one would need that. (Though, being able to start the computer remotely and remote into it from the office or elsewhere would have some advantages for some people.)

1 hour ago, lord DJCTE said:

Jake was the writer who was put partially in charge of the home renovation. He's the writer for all but the first New House video, and in general just has a wide range of interest and knowledge that is useful for this type of project.

12 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

linus + jake confirmed *brings tinfoil hat*

not yvonne? was it her twin sister? 😛

I once had coworker named Yvonne who asked ME to do something instead of someone with a similar name. I snidely and sarcastically told her "Yvette, do you think we all are the same?"
She started laughing. She has an identical twin sister named Yvette.

I should probably reach out to her and say "Hi."

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

29 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Also you keep what ever goes on with noise on the other site on that site.

Common mode, more or less.
Signal noise, depends. Opto couplers are fairly analog and do let a lot of junk through unless one puts on a filter.
But for a relatively short wire only going a few tens of meters in a typical home, then there won't be much EMI to worry about. It isn't like most consumers runs a large lathe or laser cutter next to their desktop. (I however do run both a lathe and laser cutter near one of my workstations, but even then EMI isn't problematic. My oscilloscopes though sees them running without issue.)

In short, I wouldn't worry about noise to be fair. A small 100nF capacitor on the base of the transistor should filter out most junk, and with simple twisted pairs one won't pick up much EM to begin with. It is a power switch after all, it is either on or it is off. Human fingers might be fast, but even twiddling it at a finger numbing 10Hz is barely oscillating as far as even 50 meters of wire is concerned, so any transmission line effects will not be a thing. If one is paranoide about such however, then use a 5k resistor at the base of the transistor, and another 5k resistor at the switch, and put in another 100nF capacitor over the switch/resistor combo to smooth out the transition by a fair bit.
image.png.98fdda813426b5fa4e2a5ff785f46239.png

But now the bill of materials is getting out of hand for the application... (this overkill contraption can likely work flawlessly next to a welder to be fair.)

To be honest, one can likely just extend the cable for the start button itself by another couple of meters and skimp on a buffered and noise filtered circuit all together if one only has to go 1-5 meters. This is however not always reliable and some motherboards are more flakey than others in this regard. (This isn't my first rodeo doing this exact thing.)