PSU clicking and lights blinking when i turn it on

lilputman

So I just upgraded my GPU from a RTX 3070 super FE (6x8 pin) to a 6900 XT (3x8 pin). So that means I had to upgrade my PSU. I went from a Corsair CX750M to a MSI A750GF. I changed the PSU and the GPU, went to turn on the PSU and it started making a clicking noise. Along with the clicking the lights flickered. I tore everything apart and re-rebult my whole PC and it still does it. I did the PSU trick with a paperclip in the 4 and 5 slot on the 24 pin connector and it turns on perfectly fine.

I don't know what else to do other then ask you guys on here. I'm so stumped. Please help. It'll be greatly appreciated.

*The GPU plugs are unplugged because the lights blink a lot faster when they are plugged in*

CPU: R7 5800X

GPU: MSI GAMING z Trio 6900XT

PSU: MSI A750GF

MOBO: ROG STRIX  B550-A GAMING

CPU COOLER: MSI MAG CORELIQUID C240

What happens when you use the old PSU?

Did you use all cables from the MSI and NOT from the Corsair? Always use original cables when possible

8 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Did you use all cables from the MSI and NOT from the Corsair? Always use original cables when possible

I tried the old PSU and it didn't turn on. I was just playing Minecraft before I checked everything so it was working perfectly fine. Tried the paperclip trick again with the Corsair PSU and it turned right on. I switched all the cables to MSI.

Please always use the original cables for the PSUs. The cables are not interchangeable. If you did use the wrong cables you might have fried any or all components in the build. If you switch PSUs for the test switch the cables as well. Never mix and match.

And on the topic, the recommended PSU for your video card is 850 wats. So might not be enough, though yes it should theoretically start in idle.

1 minute ago, stage said:

Please always use the original cables for the PSUs. The cables are not interchangeable. If you did use the wrong cables you might have fried any or all components in the build. If you switch PSUs for the test switch the cables as well. Never mix and match.

Is there any way to find out if it's fried or not?? Like a test??

Not an easy way, test every component one by one in another system - this is the worst case scenario. Please try installing your old psu with the original cables for it, and your old GPU and see if you are able to boot it.

3 minutes ago, stage said:

Not an easy way, test every component one by one in another system - this is the worst case scenario. Please try installing your old psu with the original cables for it, and your old GPU and see if you are able to boot it.

I just tested my old motherboard MSI gaming edge i3-9100F with the new MSI PSU and it still did the clicking noise.

Looks like the PSU is busted then. That is a hardware switch that many new PSU have it (it goes off once when CPU system powers down). So maybe some protection got activated I don't know for sure.

If you gonna get a new PSU for the 6900, get at least 850 wat minimum, as listed on MSI website.

4 minutes ago, stage said:

Looks like the PSU is busted then. That is a hardware switch that many new PSU have it (it goes off once when CPU system powers down). So maybe some protection got activated I don't know for sure.

If you gonna get a new PSU for the 6900, get at least 850 wat minimum, as listed on MSI website.

My PGU isn't connected but it still doesn't turn on. And wouldn't it not work with the paperclip if it was busted??

What happens when you remove the GPU, from the PCIe slot too?

Also try unplugging stuff that isn't needed for boot (additional storage, fans, etc). You could also try with stuff that's needed for post but not for power, if it does work but the screen is black that could be an issue too.

Seems like something is causing a short of some kind here.

4 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

What happens when you remove the GPU, from the PCIe slot too?

Also try unplugging stuff that isn't needed for boot (additional storage, fans, etc). You could also try with stuff that's needed for post but not for power, if it does work but the screen is black that could be an issue too.

Seems like something is causing a short of some kind here.

10 minutes ago, stage said:

I've never seen this type of connector on the PSU end. It has this type of connector on the other end of the 24 pin. It's a 12 pin that's connected to the 24 pin.

P_20220205_042147.jpg

11 minutes ago, lilputman said:

I've never seen this type of connector on the PSU end. It has this type of connector on the other end of the 24 pin. It's a 12 pin that's connected to the 24 pin.

It's normal to have an 18 pin and a 10 pin connector on the PSU side, as there are more pins on the PSU side

:)

12 minutes ago, lilputman said:

P_20220205_042147.jpg

That's because the MSI is fully modular and the Corsair is semi modular. This means the Corsair has the important cables (CPU and 24 pin) already installed and you can't remove them, while the MSI is fully modular meaning you can remove them all.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's normal to have an 18 pin and a 10 pin connector on the PSU side, as there are more pins on the PSU side

1 minute ago, Pixelfie said:

That's because the MSI is fully modular and the Corsair is semi modular. This means the Corsair has the important cables (CPU and 24 pin) already installed and you can't remove them, while the MSI is fully modular meaning you can remove them all.

Am I supposed to plug it in somewhere?? I left it unplugged.

1 minute ago, lilputman said:

You plug it into the only matching 10 pin connector on the PSU

:)

6 minutes ago, lilputman said:

Should go into the plug in the PSU named motherboard (top right in the picture)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You plug it into the only matching 10 pin connector on the PSU

Ok so I plugged pugged it into the 10 pin mobo on the PSU and nothing happened. No clicking or flickering.

P_20220205_044455.jpg

1 hour ago, Pixelfie said:

1 hour ago, stage said:

And on the topic, the recommended PSU for your video card is 850 wats. So might not be enough, though yes it should theoretically start in idle.

42 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Guys I'm retarded. I plugged everything in and only flipped the PSU switch. Well I didn't even think to hit the power button on the case. Everything is in working oder. About to do my benchmark and see how it runs. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

• 1 year later...

I want to complete that you need to plug both motherboard power cables. At start they look like it's impossible to plug together (like a secure way to prevent you to plug both), but they do and you need to. 

Your topic saved me because its exactly the same PSU and the video was exactly that was happening. I just feel dumb after reading 24 pin and counting the pins missing haha.

Picture attached.

IMG_20230602_172638.jpg