PSA: MacOS/Mac OSX Monterey External Drive Issues - Slow to mount, unmount or format

Hello everyone,

I wanted to post this here for whoever may run across it. I have confirmed an issue with Monterey 12.0-12.1 where external drives (flash drives, external drives, ssds, etc.) are slow to mount, format or unmount. This issue is solved in Monterey 12.2. If you have issues, please upgrade to the latest version of Monetrey. 

~ Pickles von Brine

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

51 minutes ago, Pickles von Brine said:

Hello everyone,

I wanted to post this here for whoever may run across it. I have confirmed an issue with Monterey 12.0-12.1 where external drives (flash drives, external drives, ssds, etc.) are slow to mount, format or unmount. This issue is solved in Monterey 12.2. If you have issues, please upgrade to the latest version of Monetrey. 

~ Pickles von Brine

Whats the consensus on Monetrey for Intel Macs? Heard some issues with it bricking machines and such. Have they fixed those issues? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Whats the consensus on Monetrey for Intel Macs? Heard some issues with it bricking machines and such. Have they fixed those issues? 

I'm a Mac user, but I've had so many issues with Big Sur that I haven't even tried out Monterey yet. From what I've heard from others it isn't much better than Big Sur, so I'm not exactly eager to try it either. I'm back on Catalina, and it's a much better experience. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

26 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

I'm a Mac user, but I've had so many issues with Big Sur that I haven't even tried out Monterey yet. From what I've heard from others it isn't much better than Big Sur, so I'm not exactly eager to try it either. I'm back on Catalina, and it's a much better experience. 

I haven't had many issues with either  big sur or monterey. I am in the computer repair business and work an AASP. As far as running on mac systems it runs fine. No issues other than the weirdness with externals. 

The one OS I had the most problems with was Catalina. That was mainly because a lot of users we had still had 32bit apps. Catalina dropped all support for 32bit

Though the computers we have had that came in with them not booting had hardware issues. So of course it would fail when upgrading. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

20 minutes ago, Pickles von Brine said:

I haven't had many issues with either  big sur or monterey. I am in the computer repair business and work an AASP. As far as running on mac systems it runs fine. No issues other than the weirdness with externals. 

The one OS I had the most problems with was Catalina. That was mainly because a lot of users we had still had 32bit apps. Catalina dropped all support for 32bit

Though the computers we have had that came in with them not booting had hardware issues. So of course it would fail when upgrading. 

Interesting. I mainly work on older machines that are less likely to be running Big Sur or Monterey, but even my own experiences on newer hardware haven't been great. 

I didn't like Catalina at first. It ran worse than Mojave on my hardware, and the earlier versions had some odd issues. Nowadays it works perfectly for me. I'm running it on a 2012 15" MacBook Pro (currently my daily driver laptop), and despite being the oldest machine to officially support Catalina it runs really well. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 hour ago, BondiBlue said:

Big Sur actually worked a bit better for me. I found some bugs in Catalina. BUT I have the last generation Intel Mac, so its like not that old. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Big Sur actually worked a bit better for me. I found some bugs in Catalina. BUT I have the last generation Intel Mac, so its like not that old. 

It did terribly on a Late 2013 13" MBP, but it also didn't do great on my 2017 MBP either. I'm not too worried - I usually run a slightly order version of macOS in any case. 

• 7 months later...

Hey guys

Long time LTT viewer, first time poster. 

Issue is not gone. One of our work external HDDs got damaged after ejecting normally and now it won't mount. Recovery software can see the files and folders, but Disk Utility cannot repair it. The kicker - iPad OS can open the drives (see apple forum link below)....but not Mac OS. 

Gives error - Diskmanagement.disenter error 49218

I'm beyond peeved because of the time lost and having to get a third drive now to back up the sister drive (photographer with mirror copies of working hdds and final delivered files on remote NAS). The 'damaged' drive is fine, the OS is just messing it up. 

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/695361

I've tried killing fsck on Terminal, repairing and mounting on Terminal. Pretty much anything out there besides paying for recovery software. 

Any ideas? The information is THERE, drive is not damaged. I'm still buying a third drive. 

Seriously, I'm back to hating apple. 

You have a damaged file system bud. As you said yourself. It got damaged after not ejecting properly. Do you know why OSX requires you to eject the disk instead of ripping it out? When OSX is using a drive, it isn't just sitting there doing nothing when the drive isn't in use. OSX is constantly updating file system components and they are hooked by the OS. When you yank a drive while OSX is using these file system components you run the risk of damaging them. In this case, that is what happened.
Nothing to do with the OS. I am surprised it opened on an ipad.

The drive isn't damaged. It is the file system that is. This isn't the fault of the OS. It is the fault of the user for yanking the drive while it was in use. Sorry to say it. Each time a drive is yanked on OSX you run the risk of this. Regardless of the file system but especially so for FAT32 and ExFat drives. NTFS, APFS and HFS have resiliency but kick out the right leg and they will corrupt too. Not all file corruption is repairable.  Make sure you eject the drives properly. 

When you have a damaged file system most cases OSX is useless in fixing it. Software is required. However, in some cases the file system cannot be saved and a raw recovery has to be done. 

The fact you loss data also shows weaknesses in your data handling strategies. It would be best to look into and possibly revise them to avoid this in the future.