Intel Needs to do Better

Plouffe

Official support for AMD Zen 3 on X370 Boards is HERE. But only on some very select boards...

Buy ASRock X370 Pro4

Amazon: https://geni.us/LOlK8D

Buy AMD R5 5600X

Amazon: https://geni.us/Q48jOFy

Newegg: https://geni.us/Vo155pn

B&H Photo: https://geni.us/LxKm

Buy AMD R5 1500X

Amazon: https://geni.us/lWGhcp

Newegg: https://geni.us/UyqBX2C

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Wife will be getting my X370 board and a nice 5800X3D when I upgrade to AM5. Can't wait.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just for clarification, the bios needed to go 2 steps?  Ie to one and then the other?

1 hour ago, swimtome said:

Just for clarification, the bios needed to go 2 steps?  Ie to one and then the other?

depends on the version you have or the motherboard you have, what is stated on the manufacture's page in the BIOS section.

You might need more flashes or steps, or you could do only 1. Make sure you know from what they have stated between BIOS versions. Do note, some versions could make you stuck, IF you need a CPU or go into BIOS for flashing. as in one version supports 1000, vs one supports 3000, vs one that supports 5000 so that can be an issue for some.

I 100% disagree with Linus and it's AMD who needs to get better. Would it be nice if intel support was 3 generations instead of 2? Sure, but currently Intel's approach has been much better than the inconsistent mess of support from AMD.

I still remember how we had to beg and complain in order to get promised ryzen 5000 support on our 400 series boards.

Also, he forgot to mention how AMD went out of their way and prevented motherboard vendors from adding ryzen 5000 support to 300 series boards last year. They are considering reverting that decision now so that they can compete with Alder lake. They aren't doing that just because they care about us. The AMD of today isn't the same as the one from 2016 and everybody needs to realize that.

@11:58 he's wrong. It's already confirmed that Intel 13th gen CPUs will support both DDR4 and DDR5, and they'll work on current Lga 1700 motherboards. AMD on the other hand, refused to say a thing about the future of the upcoming AM5 support so, it could be 1, 2, or 10 generations, no one knows and that's a problem.

Intel didn't even promise that 2-generation support formula, yet they consistently followed that formula for 10 years. 2 generations is a bit short, but at least it's fucking consistent. Consistency allows the consumers to plan ahead. (should I skip this generation, should I invest in a good board, etc.)

i7-8700K l MSI RX 580 8GB ARMOR MK2 MSI - Z370 KRAIT GAMING l G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR4-3200 l Inland 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD Scythe FUMA Rev. B l EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze Certified l Asus VG248QE 144Hz l Zowie FK2 Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X l Phanteks P300 Tempered Glass l Corsair Gaming K70 RAPIDFIRE l windows 10.

1 hour ago, MyNameWontFi said:

Also, he forgot to mention how AMD went out of their way and prevented motherboard vendors from adding ryzen 5000 support to 300 series boards last year. They are considering reverting that decision now so that they can compete with Alder lake. They aren't doing that just because they care about us. The AMD of today isn't the same as the one from 2016 and everybody needs to realize that.

Completely agreed.

AMD showed with the B450 fiasco that they do not care about consumers. They only changed their mind on that one because the consumer backlash was "bigger than expected" - aka they expected backlash but were happy to say "yeah well, fuck you" until it got too much media attention. I believe the stricter promises made by their board partners *cough*MSI*cough* were also a strong reason for this change. Personally I very much doubt that AM5 will come with anywhere near the level of support as AM4 - this time they aren't going to make these sorts of mistakes and will very much clamp down on the promises that are made.

Some other examples of the new AMD are the price hikes we saw for the 5000 series and their complete lack of low-end CPUs. After all why sell a chiplet in an R3 5300, when you can sell it in a 5600X which has better margins? AMD is strapped for capacity sure, but their 5000 series CPUs have been consistently sitting on shelves for a long time now and they could easily divert some of those chiplets to make lower-end SKUs if they wanted to. But they haven't, because they care more about their investors and their profit margins than they do about their customers. Maybe Alder Lake will kick them back into gear here? Probably not - I imagine we'll have to wait for Zen 4 for that.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

When I was building my system in 2015 I saw how quickly mainstream got left behind so the decision for me was go with what was best at the time and stick with it long term. Spending $1500 on just a CPU and mobo was insane money back then (and is still substantial today) but that's pretty much chump change when you look at the price right now of a top spec 7980 or 3995 alone. But back in the X99 days that's what got you to the top of the PC food chain. I am still happily rocking my 5960X and those 8 cores are working out 24/7 like a champ - nothing feels slow and everything is still snappy as the day I bought it.

Maybe I lucked out with my choice, but for my investment being still usable and working 7 years later I definitely cannot complain and I am extremely happy. 8 cores will continue to be a well performing setup for a while to come for a lot of PC users out there. I have still yet to see an example where 8 cores DOESN'T meet the minimum regardless of their speed or generation. And I know I am not alone in sticking with X99 for this long - many users out there have the same. It has aged gracefully well for the HEDT platform that it is, but I suspect those building 7980 and 3995 will enjoy a similar long and happy life. These things just last.

spacer.png