Intel i5 8th Gen vs Intel i3 11th Gen Laptop, which would be better.

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
On 1/29/2022 at 11:24 AM, thetallking said:

how much of a difference does a better cpu cache and 3200 mhz memory will make?

Doesn't matter in your case. Getting a laptop whit such a low res display is the biggest downgrade here. Everything else is basically identical and doesn't matter.

So, I have a 2.5-year-old laptop having an Intel Core i5  - 8265U 8th Gen with an 8gb ram (2400 mhz) and a 1080p display and 1TB HDD, I recently bought a new laptop for someone else with Intel Core i3 - 1125g4 ie 11th Gen with an 8gb ram (3200 mhz) but 1368x768 resolution with a nvme ssd. I am currently a student studying computer sciences and spend atleast good 10-15 hours on screen. Should I exchange my i5 laptop with theirs as on the specs front it looks more promising for my use but the only thing bothering me is that it is not a FHD panel. Its an IPS display but not a FHD one. please give me your suggestions.

6 minutes ago, thetallking said:

So, I have a 2.5-year-old laptop having an Intel Core i5  - 8265U 8th Gen with an 8gb ram (2400 mhz) and a 1080p display and 1TB HDD, I recently bought a new laptop for someone else with Intel Core i3 - 1125g4 ie 11th Gen with an 8gb ram (3200 mhz) but 1368x768 resolution with a nvme ssd. I am currently a student studying computer sciences and spend atleast good 10-15 hours on screen. Should I exchange my i5 laptop with theirs as on the specs front it looks more promising for my use but the only thing bothering me is that it is not a FHD panel. Its an IPS display but not a FHD one. please give me your suggestions.

FHD is a must have just buy a sata ssd and replace it in your laptop

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

it depends on your type of task as a student though, do you really need a better resolution for CS or soemthing? Other than that just put an ssd

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

17 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

it depends on your type of task as a student though, do you really need a better resolution for CS or soemthing? Other than that just put an ssd

No No, i rarely play games, also my i5 can't do much gaming. Should i just stick with i5 or change it with i3? the i3 doesn't have the FHD but have better overall cache and ram speeds. what would be better for android dev and coding as a student?

19 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

stick with the i5 its basically the same spec

1 minute ago, thetallking said:

No No, i rarely play games, also my i5 can't do much gaming. Should i just stick with i5 or change it with i3? the i3 doesn't have the FHD but have better overall cache and ram speeds. what would be better for android dev and coding as a student?

then sticking with the i5 is the best, its more or less the same anyways, you can upgrade the RAM and Upgrade to an SSD

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

No Hardware will ever make up for a crappy Display, that looks like you rubbed Dirt into your eyeballs.

--> it's 2022. Even if it were 2016, never ever chose a Notebook that doesn't have at least 1080p.

Not even, if you spend only 2-3 hours a day looking at it.

If you spend 10-15 hours a DAY looking at the screen, and you want to buy a new Laptop, i would even go above Full HD. Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro / Yoga Slim 7 Pro with this 2880x1880 Screen, or a M1 Macbook.

I have a M1 Macbook, and a 1080p Thinkpad T480s. it's more pleasant to look at the Macbook Screen. It looks sharper, cleaner, smoother.

Also, a Notebook is MUCH more than just the CPU + Display. Don't forget Build quality, peripherals, I/O, Batterylife, etc.

When you talk about a Laptop, ALWAYS name it.

You can't judge it from just CPU + Display. It could be a $2500 High quality Thinkpad or a <$300 cheap HP/Acer Trashcan. Same Numbers, but HUGE difference quality wise.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:24 AM, thetallking said:

Doesn't matter in your case. Getting a laptop whit such a low res display is the biggest downgrade here. Everything else is basically identical and doesn't matter.