Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC keeps beeping and doesn't turn on

GeeBeeAyy

I have an i7-4790 along with a Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 motherboard and 10GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM. No overclocking was done.

It was working fine yesterday night, used it for rendering a video in HitFilm and then I shut it down for the day. The next day, I turn the PC on, and it keeps beeping constantly for above 5 seconds of time and shuts off. (Please note that this isn't a single beep going on for a long time, instead is an estimated 30 of short ones) It automatically turns back on but does the same thing repeatedly forever.

According to a quick Google search, and after opening the first result, Continuously Beeping means a RAM Error, GPU Error or a Motherboard Error. I completely removed all the RAM sticks and turned it on, the beeping still was there. Next I took the GPU out, still no change. Now I took the motherboard out of the case completely and checked the CPU by removing the heatsink. It had no signs of damage and was looking good. I put the heatsink back on with thermal paste and turned it on, nope. I went as far as removing every single connection and plugging them back in. (Even swapped the PSU for an older one)

And just as expected, no change. Even without nothing connected except the CPU and motherboard power cabled and no RAM, the beeping was always there.

The motherboard has no other ways of checking the error code except the speaker. No LED signs, no nothing. I don't have another motherboard to check if the CPU is the problem or motherboard.

So, if anyone out there has any guess on what the problem might be or how to solve it, the help's really appreciated ya'll. Thanks in advance.

52 minutes ago, GeeBeeAyy said:

I have an i7-4790 along with a Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 motherboard and 10GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM. No overclocking was done.

It was working fine yesterday night, used it for rendering a video in HitFilm and then I shut it down for the day. The next day, I turn the PC on, and it keeps beeping constantly for above 5 seconds of time and shuts off. (Please note that this isn't a single beep going on for a long time, instead is an estimated 30 of short ones) It automatically turns back on but does the same thing repeatedly forever.

According to a quick Google search, and after opening the first result, Continuously Beeping means a RAM Error, GPU Error or a Motherboard Error. I completely removed all the RAM sticks and turned it on, the beeping still was there. Next I took the GPU out, still no change. Now I took the motherboard out of the case completely and checked the CPU by removing the heatsink. It had no signs of damage and was looking good. I put the heatsink back on with thermal paste and turned it on, nope. I went as far as removing every single connection and plugging them back in. (Even swapped the PSU for an older one)

And just as expected, no change. Even without nothing connected except the CPU and motherboard power cabled and no RAM, the beeping was always there.

The motherboard has no other ways of checking the error code except the speaker. No LED signs, no nothing. I don't have another motherboard to check if the CPU is the problem or motherboard.

So, if anyone out there has any guess on what the problem might be or how to solve it, the help's really appreciated ya'll. Thanks in advance.

considering the beep I may conclude that it is a motherboard issue, assuming that the rest of the components worked just fine, I would try doing things like getting a working b85 board on sites like ebay  and try the 4790 here, if all the components work there then motherboard issue, if it beeps on the other b85, then a cpu or ram issue

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Future PC Build for gaming and sometimes streaming 

Spoiler

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/GXzknL

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX/B450M Mortar Max

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB NVME SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060

Case: MSI MAG FORGE 100R

PSU: EVGA BQ 600W

Ok so the beeps come in sequences, it's like morse code. It will beep and take a little break before maybe it repeats. How many beeps before it repeats?

However I'm gonna take a guess here, you are saying 30 short ones so I'm guessing it's 3 short beeps being repeated 10 times maybe? Which sounds like failure to POST due to DRAM problems. Did you get the same beeps with all the memory removed? If you did that should confirm this.

You can make a video about the beep pattern though if you are not sure how many beeps there are before it repeats. You can also try this from your manual: (but read it carefully)!

image.png.36e8d5a90974fa2727b7dd1c7ea515cb.png

TuringMachine

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - Fury Beast 3200 2x16 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - 2x Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

Well, if you remove all the RAM it would still produce an error for RAM. You need to have one RAM-stick mounted.

29 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Ok so the beeps come in sequences, it's like morse code. It will beep and take a little break before maybe it repeats. How many beeps before it repeats?

However I'm gonna take a guess here, you are saying 30 short ones so I'm guessing it's 3 short beeps being repeated 10 times maybe? Which sounds like failure to POST due to DRAM problems. Did you get the same beeps with all the memory removed? If you did that should confirm this.

You can make a video about the beep pattern though if you are not sure how many beeps there are before it repeats. You can also try this from your manual: (but read it carefully)!

image.png.36e8d5a90974fa2727b7dd1c7ea515cb.png

I forgot to mention I already reset the CMOS by both the jumper and removing the battery methods, my bad sorry. Yes, I got the same beeps even with all the RAM sticks removed. Also, I've attached an audio file of the beeps. The support's appreciated 🙂

record20220129155120.3gpp

38 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

considering the beep I may conclude that it is a motherboard issue, assuming that the rest of the components worked just fine, I would try doing things like getting a working b85 board on sites like ebay  and try the 4790 here, if all the components work there then motherboard issue, if it beeps on the other b85, then a cpu or ram issue

Hm... Maybe I'll have the CPU taken to a PC shop with another B85 motherboard and have it tested. Thanks for the help!

4 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Well, if you remove all the RAM it would still produce an error for RAM. You need to hava one RAM-stick mounted.

Yeah, but it still gives out the same beeping sound whether the RAM sticks are in or not.

1 minute ago, GeeBeeAyy said:

I forgot to mention I already reset the CMOS by both the jumper and removing the battery methods, my bad sorry. Yes, I got the same beeps even with all the RAM sticks removed. Also, I've attached an audio file of the beeps. The support's appreciated 🙂

record20220129155120.3gpp 137.36 kB · 0 downloads

Ok. Do you have another power supply to test? What you seem to be experiencing is continuous short beeps which should mean power failure from what I can see. Which should mean your PSU may be bad. Or cables not inserted properly, so you may wanna check that.

TuringMachine

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - Fury Beast 3200 2x16 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - 2x Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

2 minutes ago, GeeBeeAyy said:

Yeah, but it still gives out the same beeping sound whether the RAM sticks are in or not.

A memory error would do this, memory not detected is a memory error too hehe. But look at my previous post, I think your audio file revealed the problem.

TuringMachine

9 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Ok. Do you have another power supply to test? What you seem to be experiencing is continuous short beeps which should mean power failure from what I can see. Which should mean your PSU may be bad. Or cables not inserted properly, so you may wanna check that.

1 hour ago, GeeBeeAyy said:

I went as far as removing every single connection and plugging them back in. (Even swapped the PSU for an older one)

it seems like he did with the cables soo bad psu?

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Future PC Build for gaming and sometimes streaming 

Spoiler

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/GXzknL

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX/B450M Mortar Max

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB NVME SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060

Case: MSI MAG FORGE 100R

PSU: EVGA BQ 600W

6 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I tested it with another PSU and it had the same issue. I properly checked all the cables, and they are fit in firmly. The PSU I used was a Cooler Master MWE550, and I had a random 450W PSU lying around which surprisingly didn't explode for the past 12 years of heavy usage which I used as my second PSU for testing.

1 minute ago, GeeBeeAyy said:

I tested it with another PSU and it had the same issue. I properly checked all the cables, and they are fit in firmly. The PSU I used was a Cooler Master MWE550, and I had a random 450W PSU lying around which surprisingly didn't explode for the past 12 years of heavy usage which I used as my second PSU for testing.

I see....

Your manual is lacking a troubleshooting chapter... so either you need to ask Gigabyte support and hope that they will indulge you or read on the internet. I tried the latter and arrived at this at Gigabyte forums:

The POST beeps indicate the following:
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Of course a power error could be within the motherboard... though I find that more unlikely ...right? Unless something happened.

Someone here experienced the same symptoms (I think, was hard to count) but they tried to use other RAM slots and it seem to work. Try to use one stick and try posting with it in each slot until it maybe works?

GA-H87-D3H: doesn't boot, short repeating beeps (giga-byte.co.uk)

TuringMachine

10 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I see....

Your manual is lacking a troubleshooting chapter... so either you need to ask Gigabyte support and hope that they will indulge you or read on the internet. I tried the latter and arrived at this at Gigabyte forums:

The POST beeps indicate the following:
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Of course a power error could be within the motherboard... though I find that more unlikely ...right? Unless something happened.

Someone here experienced the same symptoms (I think, was hard to count) but they tried to use other RAM slots and it seem to work. Try to use one stick and try posting with it in each slot until it maybe works?

GA-H87-D3H: doesn't boot, short repeating beeps (giga-byte.co.uk)

Oh my god- I'm so dumb... I didn't follow the dual channel RAM configurations. I managed to get two of the slots working. But when I try to put in the other two, it didn't work again. Okay, now I removed the 2 I just put in and now that doesn't work again. Weird... So I tried the other 2 slots and it's working- okay what's happening to my motherboard lmao. And the 2 other sticks won't work again. It very much sounds like a memory controller failure- what do you think?

5 minutes ago, GeeBeeAyy said:

Oh my god- I'm so dumb... I didn't follow the dual channel RAM configurations. I managed to get two of the slots working. But when I try to put in the other two, it didn't work again. Okay, now I removed the 2 I just put in and now that doesn't work again. Weird... So I tried the other 2 slots and it's working- okay what's happening to my motherboard lmao. And the 2 other sticks won't work again. It very much sounds like a memory controller failure- what do you think?

I think it seems like there is a problem with the memory slots. POST complains about power, so maybe they doesn't get power which triggers the POST error. Possibly a bad connection in the slot, reseating could have put pressure on the bad connection and maybe made it work for a bit. A memory controller failure shouldn't trigger a code for power unless the CPU isn't getting proper power (mem controller is in the CPU you see)....

Look at the pins on the CPU maybe and see if there are some bent or broken ones? I don't know why a memory slot would trigger a power error and not a memory error with two power supplies, maybe damaged VRM?

TuringMachine

2 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I think it seems like there is a problem with the memory slots. POST complains about power, so maybe they doesn't get power which triggers the POST error. Possibly a bad connection in the slot, reseating could have put pressure on the bad connection and maybe made it work for a bit. A memory controller failure shouldn't trigger a code for power unless the CPU isn't getting proper power (mem controller is in the CPU you see)....

Look at the pins on the CPU maybe and see if there are some bent or broken ones? I don't know why a memory slot would trigger a power error and not a memory error with two power supplies, maybe damaged VRM?

A damaged VRM could be the problem- but also I experienced this same problem on my old motherboard with the same RAM sticks. A Biostar TA880GB+ (there is a change of platforms and manufacturers, you see) That motherboard had the same beeping problem, but it was really easily solved by removing ANY RAM stick and putting it back in. Which is not the case here as more than two just doesn't seem to work. Maybe it's the RAM itself which is causing the problem now? 

2 minutes ago, GeeBeeAyy said:

A damaged VRM could be the problem- but also I experienced this same problem on my old motherboard with the same RAM sticks. A Biostar TA880GB+ (there is a change of platforms and manufacturers, you see) That motherboard had the same beeping problem, but it was really easily solved by removing ANY RAM stick and putting it back in. Which is not the case here as more than two just doesn't seem to work. Maybe it's the RAM itself which is causing the problem now? 

Could be but that should trigger another POST code... As far as I know anyway.. Have you located any 100% working RAM slots? Try each stick one at a time in one of them if you have any 100% working ones and consider running memtest or just try to boot for a quick and dirty test. You will see the condition of your memory if the slots are working..

TuringMachine