Help with cooling vrm/mosfet

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

VRMs have a max temp of 110c. So running 80c for example, would be ok. 

In short, most heat sinked VRMs don't require more than the case flow and cpu cooler for cooling. 

And fan would work. 

hi i just recently knew that the reason for my cpu underclocking on safe temps is because of the vrm when i touched the chokes its really hot like i cant touch it for more than 1 second so im thinking of doing this 

and to do that i need 120mm fan will this be fine? https://shopee.ph/INPLAY-12BL-12RL-CASE-FAN-RGB-FAN-COMPUTER-FAN-PC-FAN-SINGLE-COLOR-120MM-i.395422859.9337524547 

and when im using p95 for stress test my temperature 4 in hwinfo ramps up to 72C when idle its around higher 50s to mid 60s idk if that temp is the vrm or not but i hope this will be useful

In short, most heat sinked VRMs don't require more than the case flow and cpu cooler for cooling. 

And fan would work. 

41 minutes ago, PLSHELPME123 said:

because of the vrm when i touched the chokes its really hot like i cant touch it for more than 1 second

Human skin is a really bad way to measure if a computer component is too hot.

A graphics card might be operating at 80 Celsius which is completely fine, but if you touch the exposed heat pipes you could burn yourself.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

And fan would work. 

its just crazy how i bought a better cpu cooler just to miss out on cooling the vrms 

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

And fan would work. 

will it cool my vrm without heatsinks though? or do i need to buy one which i really dont want to since if i just buy a new case and place 2 case fans on top then the vrms will be cooled right? or am i wrong?

5 hours ago, PLSHELPME123 said:

will it cool my vrm without heatsinks though? or do i need to buy one which i really dont want to since if i just buy a new case and place 2 case fans on top then the vrms will be cooled right? or am i wrong?

i would measure the temps first, use something like hwinfo64

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

10 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

i would measure the temps first, use something like hwinfo64

it doesnt show vrm or anything connected to vrm though like mosfet however i think my temperature 4 is the vrm since its around 55-60 when idle and when stressing its around 71c which i think is good temp for a vrm based on my research correct me if im wrong

Pad thickness is important. Cheap thermal pads tend to be worse than on what most motherboards and laptops come with. You dont need to glue them as long as other side of the thermal pad has some sort of heatsink or heat transfer surface (meaning you cant stick thermal paste and have the other side connected to nothing).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Normally if your PC do not run 24/24 constantly, you don't need fancy VRM thermal solution, since it rarely go over 80°C. 

Yes. It can lower a lot of the VRM temperature. Just make sure you install it correctly.

(Notice: DO NOT use liquid thermal paste for VRM)

Since VRM are not very important, we will go with el cheapo thermal pad to save some money. Yes, the product you linked is really good for VRM. Just make sure the pad fits with the VRM :)))

4 minutes ago, HQuan said:

Since VRM are not very important, we will go with el cheapo thermal pad to save some money.

That sentence is completely wrong. If VRMs were not important there wouldnt be so much effort going into designing proper power phases. Shitter the power phases = more cooling it needs.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

Pad thickness is important. Cheap thermal pads tend to be worse than on what most motherboards and laptops come with. You dont need to glue them as long as other side of the thermal pad has some sort of heatsink or heat transfer surface (meaning you cant stick thermal paste and have the other side connected to nothing).

was thinking of doing this 

cant i just stick the thermal pad and have the 120mm case fan blow air on it? and do you have any idea if this mobo have good vrm https://shopee.ph/Used-gigabyte-B450M-GAMING-AMD-GA-B450-DDR4-DIMM-32G-M.2-USB3.1-Micro-ATX-Double-Channel-Socket-AM4-Motherboard-i.228460801.10541824699?sp_atk=4b139139-6243-4875-b2b9-eba278592a1d ? because i was thinking of building a r3 1200 build and oc it and pairing it with something like gtx 950 i just want to play valoran above 144fps and based on my research an oced 1200 will do the job

4 minutes ago, PLSHELPME123 said:

was thinking of doing this 

cant i just stick the thermal pad and have the 120mm case fan blow air on it? 

*cough*

Some motherboard already have a small fan attached to it. Pointing a 120mm fan into it is completely pointless, wasting money. It only improve airflow not direct.

7 minutes ago, Levent said:

That sentence is completely wrong. If VRMs were not important there wouldnt be so much effort going into designing proper power phases. Shitter the power phases = more cooling it needs.

idk, but my VRM temperature never pass 70°C

my motherboard is an el cheapo also.

2 minutes ago, HQuan said:

*cough*

Some motherboard already have a small fan attached to it. Pointing a 120mm fan into it is completely pointless, wasting money. It only improve airflow not direct.

this motherboard certainly doesnt have one though someone said i dont need thermal pads if im not gonna stick it on the other side so im not gonna buy it 

idk, but my VRM temperature never pass 70°C

And that is relevant how? Please stop making blanket statements on things you have no clue about. VRMs are the one of key points between cheap motherboards and top of the line motherboards, same goes with graphics cards.

3 minutes ago, HQuan said:

*cough*

It is not pointless, if VRMs were overheating (which is a thing in most B450 MSI motherboards when paired with 8 core cpus) this would help. OP would not benefit from this as their VRM is just running hot, not overheating.

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

And that is relevant how? Please stop making blanket statements on things you have no clue about. VRMs are the one of key points between cheap motherboards and top of the line motherboards, same goes with graphics cards.

It is not pointless, if VRMs were overheating (which is a thing in most B450 MSI motherboards when paired with 8 core cpus) this would help. OP would not benefit from this as their VRM is just running hot, not overheating.

i guess my vrm is running so hot it underclocks my cpu then, anyways im about to get the 120mm fan the other day i think because the seller is in the same country as mine maybe it will fix the cpu underclock

Just now, PLSHELPME123 said:

i guess my vrm is running so hot it underclocks my cpu then

Do you have any systematic testing behind that theory? Because 80c is nothing to worry, simple test of just placing a fan near motherboard vrms without anything else would give you some idea if your issue was due to VRMs overheating or not. You should also always post your system details in threads when asking for help.

Just now, Levent said:

Do you have any systematic testing behind that theory? Because 80c is nothing to worry, simple test of just placing a fan near motherboard vrms without anything else would give you some idea if your issue was due to VRMs overheating or not. You should also always post your system details in threads when asking for help.

oh im sorry didnt know about that im using a8 6600k oced to 4.2ghz my mobo is gigabyte ga f2a68hm s1 2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz cl8 overvolted to 1.54v  my psu is silverstone st50f my case is some random cheap atx case my cpu cooler is deepcool ice edge fs v2 my cpu started to underclock after i change my stock cooler because i think my stock cooler cool the cpu and the vrm too

@LeventI leave this guy to you. @PLSHELPME123mention me back if you need my help.

thanks for the help ill keep u guys updated if i need more help ❤️ my 120mm fan might arrive the other day so im gonna test it out soon 

==threads merged==

do not re post the same topic

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

==threads merged==

do not re post the same topic

oh did i, im very sorry

12 hours ago, Levent said:

update: the vrm is really the one thats causing my cpu to underclock i placed a fan infront of it like this one Portable Mini Fan Rechargeable With Battery USB Port | Shopee Philippines

and my cpu didnt underclocked until my temperature 4 in hwinfo(hopefully temp 4 is vrm) reached around 56c idk why but 56c seems like a very safe temp even if its not the vrm but it underclocks, any ideas? sorry to bother you just ignore me if u want 🙂

4 minutes ago, PLSHELPME123 said:

and my cpu didnt underclocked until my temperature 4 in hwinfo(hopefully temp 4 is vrm) reached around 56c idk why but 56c seems like a very safe temp even if its not the vrm but it underclocks, any ideas? sorry to bother you just ignore me if u want

Can we see a screenshot of your HWinfo? Are you looking in CPU, or the Motherboard section?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?