SAS hard drive for desktop

thaox155

I accidently  order  sas hard drive (Dell Constellation ES.3 ST2000NM0023) not knowing what sas  was  till it arrived and would probably cost just as much to ship it back  since i got 8 tb  4x2tb for $45  and how would you go about it to  get it working for desktop? did some searching here and think I'm suppose to get basically any lsi hba? even a cheap one on ebay would work? and SFF-8482 to 4 SFF-8087? or something like that.  I have absolutely no clue about this and thanks in advance 

12 minutes ago, wseaton said:

SAS to SATA adapter.

Pretty cheap on Amazon

Got an example? The cheap passive adapters won't work as you need a sas controller and just physically connecting it to a sata controller won't work.

You need a sas controller for this. You can get HBAs like the dell h200/h310 pretty cheap(50 bucks or less often) on ebay.

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Got an example? The cheap passive adapters won't work as you need a sas controller and just physically connecting it to a sata controller won't work.

You need a sas controller for this. You can get HBAs like the dell h200/h310 pretty cheap(50 bucks or less often) on ebay.

dont they run extremly hot and not very suitable for desktop?

SAS/SATA drives are basically the same. Except difference on different interface, ans usually SAS drives tend to be more 'robust', and they are usually made for enterprise.

However, as heat goes - it's basically the same between SATA and SAS. Main difference is, as usually, number of platters, rpm. This will be main judge of heat dissipation.

In your case, you need cheapo SAS card.

Seeing you have 4 drives - decide if you want to use RAID on HBA, in which case you might want to have a BBU too. Using RAID5 on SAS controller works really well, while if using in Windows with SS, it's crap (RAID5 with SS).

Again, using Linux gives you much flexibility, like using ZFS, or simple mdadm, etc....

Bottom line - if using Windows I'd suggest to use RAID on HBA. If using Linux, simplest HBA in IT mode works great.

7 hours ago, thaox155 said:

dont they run extremly hot and not very suitable for desktop?

The controllers work fine on desktops. They normally want decent airflow, so Id just point a fan at them.