Building my first Mid-Range Gaming PC

Budget (including currency): RM4500 (1073 USD) [Excluding the items I already bought]

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly AAA, racing and etc.

Other details

Things I've already bought

1. [CPU] INTEL 12th Gen 12700K Processor - Intel Core i712700K Processor 25M Cache up to 5.00 GHz Product Specifications

2. [MOBO] ASUS Prime Z690 P4 - PRIME Z690-P WIFI|Motherboards|ASUS Global
3. [COOLER] COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 TURBO ARGB - Hyper 212 Turbo ARGB | Cooler Master Malaysia

Things I'm yet to buy but have made decision upon.

4. [GPU] Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti (OC) - Manufacturer could be ASUS/Colorful

Here is where I need some suggestion.

5. [PSU]

• Should I opt-out for a second hand PSU or get a new one?
    • Got a good deal for a Corsair 650W PSU(Product Link). Still left 9 years warranty. [SOLD]
    • But if there's any, should I go for it?
  • Should I go for a 750w instead?
    • I'm planning to pick NVIDIA RTX 3060ti later. The manufacture site recommends 650w PSU. I wonder if that is enough as I may potentially try overclocking all (RAM, GPU, and CPU) at some point.
  • Feel free to drop if you have any recommendation. Planning to go with this - 1stPlayer 750w GOLD FULL MOD PSU [My Pick]

6. [RAM]

7. [STORAGE]

•  Micron 2300 1 TB Solid State Drive - M.2 2280 Internal - PCI Express NVMe (PCI Express NVMe 3.0) - RM 275 Micron 2300 PCIE3 1TB M.2 SSD 2280 [My Pick]
  • Any other recommendations?

*PCIE 4 SSD's are too expensive and I could not squeeze into my current budget.

Hope to get some suggestions for PSU, RAM, and STORAGE. Thanks.

37 minutes ago, Naris said:

3. [COOLER] COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 TURBO ARGB - Hyper 212 Turbo ARGB | Cooler Master Malaysia

I'd return that and get a better cooler. The 12700k isn't as crazy hot as the 12900k, but it's more power than a Hyper 212 can handle, especially if you want to try overclocking it in the future. Something better like a Scythe Fuma 2 or Arctic x34 shouldn't me much more expensive. 

41 minutes ago, Naris said:

Should I go for a 750w instead?

650w is fine for a 3060Ti system, even if you are trying to overclock it. If you were going 12900k instead, I'd say go for a higher wattage unit, but for a 12700k the 650w should be fine. That 650w is a pretty good one and I'd be pretty comfortable with it. Haven't heard of that 750w unit, and from what I can seen it's fine, but not as good as that Corsair unit.

47 minutes ago, Naris said:

Which one of these do you see have better value?

The Adata kit. It's got tighter timings for less money, I don't see why you'd go for that Kingston kit. 

That said, if you meant to type Z690-P D4 for the motherboard instead of "P4", that's a DDR4 motherboard and you should be looking at DDR4 memory. It's a better value anyway, and performance is almost identical between good DDR4 and DDR5. If you didn't get the DDR4 version of that motherboard, then yeah, get that Adata kit, but at least double check before you order. 

53 minutes ago, Naris said:

7. [STORAGE]

That drive looks fine, though if US prices are anything to go by it's not a really good deal. Look at drives like the SN750, the Crucial P5, and maybe the Samsung 970 Evo Plus, they're all really good performance and for a good price. Go for the cheapest one of those drives (including the one you picked) in the capacity you want, and be fine. There's no need for Gen 4 drives, for consumers it really doesn't make much sense.

It looks like you're doing fine picking PC parts, so I'll just mention that picking up a good wheel/pedals can make your hardware a lot more worth it for sim racing.

First of all, Thank you for writing up a detailed yet precise comments for all my questions and decisions. It really helped me out.
Below are my replies for your previous statement.

👏👏👏

14 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd return that and get a better cooler. The 12700k isn't as crazy hot as the 12900k, but it's more power than a Hyper 212 can handle, especially if you want to try overclocking it in the future. Something better like a Scythe Fuma 2 or Arctic x34 shouldn't me much more expensive. 

[OP Reply] - Yeah you're right. Seems like it do struggle under heavy load. Test thread : CM Hyper-212-LED-Turbo-ARGB Review & Another one but slightly lower model. Do you think it is good for now without overclocking or suggesting me to directly put it out for sale and get a better one?

650w is fine for a 3060Ti system, even if you are trying to overclock it. If you were going 12900k instead, I'd say go for a higher wattage unit, but for a 12700k the 650w should be fine. That 650w is a pretty good one and I'd be pretty comfortable with it. Haven't heard of that 750w unit, and from what I can seen it's fine, but not as good as that Corsair unit.

[OP REPLY] - Unfortunately, the seller have sold his PSU(the Corsair). I can still lookout for similar brand and watt PSU then. 650w it is.

The Adata kit. It's got tighter timings for less money, I don't see why you'd go for that Kingston kit. 

That said, if you meant to type Z690-P D4 for the motherboard instead of "P4", that's a DDR4 motherboard and you should be looking at DDR4 memory. It's a better value anyway, and performance is almost identical between good DDR4 and DDR5. If you didn't get the DDR4 version of that motherboard, then yeah, get that Adata kit, but at least double check before you order. 

[OP REPLY] - Well the KINGSTONE is here because if I purchase through my workplace, they do give out hefty discount on it(Like somewhere around 100USD max). For ADATA, I'll need to get it through online shopping sites which expected to save me about (47.73USD max). REgarding the mobo, I got the PRIME Z690-P WIFI model which uses DDR5(not the D4 model). Again, I had to get this model as I was getting good discount on it. ADATA Kit it is.

That drive looks fine, though if US prices are anything to go by it's not a really good deal. Look at drives like the SN750, the Crucial P5, and maybe the Samsung 970 Evo Plus, they're all really good performance and for a good price. Go for the cheapest one of those drives (including the one you picked) in the capacity you want, and be fine. There's no need for Gen 4 drives, for consumers it really doesn't make much sense.

[OP REPLY] - Those model which you've suggested above is almost 2x the price of the one I shared(Micron-RM275) in my country. Besides, they seems to have somewhat similar performance. The only con I can see for the Micron model is that, it does not come with valid warranty. The seller provide 2 month personal warranty. Yet to lower the price as of now. 
image.png.c98800a1a0d5bd947617318222e1b960.png
image.png.3feb41e2fff3a422b657a9108cc11862.png

Regards,

Naris Pillai.

12 hours ago, Real_NC said:

It looks like you're doing fine picking PC parts, so I'll just mention that picking up a good wheel/pedals can make your hardware a lot more worth it for sim racing.

Thanks for your comment. Plan is in place. Probably in Q4 this year. 😁

Regards,
Naris Pillai.

1 hour ago, Naris said:

[OP Reply] - Yeah you're right. Seems like it do struggle under heavy load. Test thread : CM Hyper-212-LED-Turbo-ARGB Review & Another one but slightly lower model. Do you think it is good for now without overclocking or suggesting me to directly put it out for sale and get a better one?

In my testing the Scythe Fuma 2, a dual tower air cooler that's up there in performance with some lower end 240mm AIOs had the 12700k run at 82c at the end of a 10 minute Cinebench R23 run. For a pure gaming load, that cooler might be ok, but you will be thermal throttling quite a bit. It's probably fine if you use it for a few months and undervolt it, but unless you undervolt it fairly significantly you're gonna run into issues with thermal throttling. I'd personally flip it and get a new one now, because you're gonna do it anyway and so might as well not do it twice (especially since the Hyper 212 is a pain to mount and remove).

1 hour ago, Naris said:

The only con I can see for the Micron model is that, it does not come with valid warranty. The seller provide 2 month personal warranty. Yet to lower the price as of now. 

I'd be pretty sketched out by this. It sounds like it's a used SSD, and because CHIA mining exists, used SSDs are a pretty huge gamble. If you do go for it, make sure to immediately test it to make sure it wasn't CHIA plotting. You can do this by opening up CrystalDiskInfo and checking the drive health, if it's at or near 100% it's fine, if it's closer to 70% and below I'd return it immediately since it was likely a CHIA drive and will have a much lower life span.

6 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

In my testing the Scythe Fuma 2, a dual tower air cooler that's up there in performance with some lower end 240mm AIOs had the 12700k run at 82c at the end of a 10 minute Cinebench R23 run. For a pure gaming load, that cooler might be ok, but you will be thermal throttling quite a bit. It's probably fine if you use it for a few months and undervolt it, but unless you undervolt it fairly significantly you're gonna run into issues with thermal throttling. I'd personally flip it and get a new one now, because you're gonna do it anyway and so might as well not do it twice (especially since the Hyper 212 is a pain to mount and remove).

[OP REPLY] - In that case, I would need to sell this off to get a new one. Probably, I might go foe a second-hand AIO. Is it fine to go with secondhand AIO? Which one would you recommend? AIO or Air Cooler for my scenario. Im seeing a deal on FB marketplace for this model : Liquid Cooler Silverstone PF240 ARGB for RM250 with warranty till May next year.

6 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd be pretty sketched out by this. It sounds like it's a used SSD, and because CHIA mining exists, used SSDs are a pretty huge gamble. If you do go for it, make sure to immediately test it to make sure it wasn't CHIA plotting. You can do this by opening up CrystalDiskInfo and checking the drive health, if it's at or near 100% it's fine, if it's closer to 70% and below I'd return it immediately since it was likely a CHIA drive and will have a much lower life span.

[OP REPLY] - There are listing for this SSD in some market place too around RM300. He stated it as "new", but sure, I'll try to run CDI to validate it.

Thanks and Regards,

Naris Pillai.

2 hours ago, Naris said:

[OP REPLY] - In that case, I would need to sell this off to get a new one. Probably, I might go foe a second-hand AIO. Is it fine to go with secondhand AIO? Which one would you recommend? AIO or Air Cooler for my scenario. Im seeing a deal on FB marketplace for this model : Liquid Cooler Silverstone PF240 ARGB for RM250 with warranty till May next year.

I'd advise against going used for an AIO. First, it will more than likely not have any mounting hardware for LGA1700, and in order to get it you usually need proof of purchase of both the motherboard and the cooler. Second, reliability is always a concern with AIOs, since A) it has water in it that if it leaks can kill some of your components, B) has a pump that is the most likely component to die and is almost impossible to replace outside of just getting a new AIO, and C) tend to cost more than competing dual tower air coolers even used, which (for the 240mm variants at least) perform on par and the only way to have them die is to physically damage them, and even then they'll usually work. For 360mm rads and up, yeah it makes sense since they do tend to perform better. Also makes sense if you're going for a SFF rig since they're easier to fit in small systems, and if you're gonna be transporting the system a lot they're far less prone to damage than their tower counterparts. However, if you buy a used AIO, you don't know how it was treated, and with how fragile and difficult to replace the pump assemblies are in those systems, it is possible that your AIO will die. I don't know how good Silverstone's warranty is, but a lot of manufacturers require that you be the first owner of the product in order to get the warranty service, so unless its one of the manufacturers that's known for the warranty following the product like EVGA, I'd treat the warranty as void until proven otherwise.

If you want to go AIO, spend the extra money and go new. Otherwise I'd go for a good cheaper dual tower CPU cooler like the Scythe Fuma 2 or Thermalright Frost Commander. Feel free to look on the used market for one, you can sometimes fine a good deal on one used. I personally got an NH-D14 for $20 used, and since the only part that can die is the fan that is easily replaceable, buying used isn't really a risk. 

3 hours ago, Naris said:

[OP REPLY] - There are listing for this SSD in some market place too around RM300. He stated it as "new", but sure, I'll try to run CDI to validate it.

Second hand hardware is always a gamble. For most parts, it's not a huge risk since as long as they turn on and/or don't look like they've fallen off a cliff they're probably fine, but for storage and AIOs in particular it's a bit more of a gamble. Storage it's hard to tell if it's been abused, and if the drive dies you aren't just out the cost of the drive, you've lost all the data being stored on the drive. AIOs perform about the same up until the day they die and give no warning signs that they're about to, so you could buy one that looks perfect, but it could be ready to die tomorrow. Plus if it dies catastrophically, the water could kill the other parts in the system. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Second hand hardware is always a gamble. For most parts, it's not a huge risk since as long as they turn on and/or don't look like they've fallen off a cliff they're probably fine, but for storage and AIOs in particular it's a bit more of a gamble. Storage it's hard to tell if it's been abused, and if the drive dies you aren't just out the cost of the drive, you've lost all the data being stored on the drive. AIOs perform about the same up until the day they die and give no warning signs that they're about to, so you could buy one that looks perfect, but it could be ready to die tomorrow. Plus if it dies catastrophically, the water could kill the other parts in the system. 

Personally i havent had any issues with buying used storage as long as the seller gives you the health rating, main issue is i am a stupid cheapskate and i get an 80 and 160gb hdd so rip the 80gb is useless and the 160gb is almost useless. Though unsure about ssds since im a cheapskate

Most of the time aios have their pumps die for a normal failiure, though ive never heard of a catastrophic aio failiure where the tubes leak. Aios are alot more of a gamble compared to aircoolers as aios have a finite amount of life in them whereas aircoolers have pretty much infinite life in them and fans are easy to replace every decade or 2, mounting is a trivial task even if theres no mounting hardware cause there will always be ways to diy mount your cooler like zipties, its only when the coldplate is too small that aircoolers become useless for newer stuff

Tldr pretty much anything with a finite amount of life in them is a risk

21 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd advise against going used for an AIO. First, it will more than likely not have any mounting hardware for LGA1700, and in order to get it you usually need proof of purchase of both the motherboard and the cooler. Second, reliability is always a concern with AIOs, since A) it has water in it that if it leaks can kill some of your components, B) has a pump that is the most likely component to die and is almost impossible to replace outside of just getting a new AIO, and C) tend to cost more than competing dual tower air coolers even used, which (for the 240mm variants at least) perform on par and the only way to have them die is to physically damage them, and even then they'll usually work. For 360mm rads and up, yeah it makes sense since they do tend to perform better. Also makes sense if you're going for a SFF rig since they're easier to fit in small systems, and if you're gonna be transporting the system a lot they're far less prone to damage than their tower counterparts. However, if you buy a used AIO, you don't know how it was treated, and with how fragile and difficult to replace the pump assemblies are in those systems, it is possible that your AIO will die. I don't know how good Silverstone's warranty is, but a lot of manufacturers require that you be the first owner of the product in order to get the warranty service, so unless its one of the manufacturers that's known for the warranty following the product like EVGA, I'd treat the warranty as void until proven otherwise.

If you want to go AIO, spend the extra money and go new. Otherwise I'd go for a good cheaper dual tower CPU cooler like the Scythe Fuma 2 or Thermalright Frost Commander. Feel free to look on the used market for one, you can sometimes fine a good deal on one used. I personally got an NH-D14 for $20 used, and since the only part that can die is the fan that is easily replaceable, buying used isn't really a risk. 

[OP REPLY] - Agree. That was the reason why I went with Air Cooler over AIO earlier. My current plan is to use this CM cooler for a good amount of time and then upgrade to something good like Noctua NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, as selling it now would hurt my budget. Hard to find a buyer for cooler in here at the moment.

21 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

[OP REPLY] - Yeah. I've decided to go for a new one instead. Looking at KINGSTON SSD KC2500 1TB which seems to have somewhat similar read and write speed as the Micron. About RM160 ish difference between them.

Thanks and Regards,

Naris Pillai.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:35 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Personally i havent had any issues with buying used storage as long as the seller gives you the health rating, main issue is i am a stupid cheapskate and i get an 80 and 160gb hdd so rip the 80gb is useless and the 160gb is almost useless. Though unsure about ssds since im a cheapskate

Most of the time aios have their pumps die for a normal failiure, though ive never heard of a catastrophic aio failiure where the tubes leak. Aios are alot more of a gamble compared to aircoolers as aios have a finite amount of life in them whereas aircoolers have pretty much infinite life in them and fans are easy to replace every decade or 2, mounting is a trivial task even if theres no mounting hardware cause there will always be ways to diy mount your cooler like zipties, its only when the coldplate is too small that aircoolers become useless for newer stuff

Tldr pretty much anything with a finite amount of life in them is a risk

[OP REPLY] - Sorry to hear that...I do read some user comments where their components were DOA . So it seems to worth to pay extra money to have proper and legit manufacture warranty to avoid any issue during RMA.

Yeah that's true which is why I got an air cooler. But now feel like should have looks at those attributes such as CFM and TDP before proceeding to purchased stage. The deal I got made its bad performance with unlocked processors hidden away from my view point. Well things happens haha...

Thanks and Regards,
Naris Pillai.