Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Compatibility issue with RTX3070 on PCIe gen4

Related post: 

(includes builds, history, trobleshooting)

My RTX3070 won't let my PC post when the MOBO selects the gen 4 config for the PCIe 16x slot. I'm not using a riser. My MOBO and CPU are compatible. Drivers (GPU and MOBO's) and BIOS are updated. There are no other PCIe slots in use (this humongous GPU won't allow it anyway LOL). Thought about tweeking with other related configs on BIOS (ASPM, IOMU, etc), but its not like I know what I'm doing. Also, I noticed some other posts here and elsewhere with the same problem and no solutions whatsoever. Always with B550 boards and 3070s.

Anyone has any sugestions for other trobleshooting steps I could take? Except waiting for BIOS and driver updates...

46 minutes ago, Leandro Kataoka said:

Related post: 

(includes builds, history, trobleshooting)

My RTX3070 won't let my PC post when the MOBO selects the gen 4 config for the PCIe 16x slot. I'm not using a riser. My MOBO and CPU are compatible. Drivers (GPU and MOBO's) and BIOS are updated. There are no other PCIe slots in use (this humongous GPU won't allow it anyway LOL). Thought about tweeking with other related configs on BIOS (ASPM, IOMU, etc), but its not like I know what I'm doing. Also, I noticed some other posts here and elsewhere with the same problem and no solutions whatsoever. Always with B550 boards and 3070s.

Anyone has any sugestions for other trobleshooting steps I could take? Except waiting for BIOS and driver updates...

Hi! If your cpu has a built-in graphics, remove your gpu card. Boot it up to BIOS and run with default optimal settings. While in the BIOS check your PCIe settings should be all in auto if possible. Shutdown the PC, reinsert your gpu card and power cables and boot up your system with your DP or HDMI cable attached to the actual gpu(RTX3070). Try transferring it to the next PCIe slot if it does not work on slot 1(nearest to CPU). Do all these while all your SATA drives are unplugged.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:25 PM, RMTM said:

Hi! If your cpu has a built-in graphics, remove your gpu card. Boot it up to BIOS and run with default optimal settings. While in the BIOS check your PCIe settings should be all in auto if possible. Shutdown the PC, reinsert your gpu card and power cables and boot up your system with your DP or HDMI cable attached to the actual gpu(RTX3070). Try transferring it to the next PCIe slot if it does not work on slot 1(nearest to CPU). Do all these while all your SATA drives are unplugged.

Hi RMTM! Thanks for the help!

My CPU is a Ryzen 5600X, so no iGPU there (which makes me regret not going for the 5600G and having to change the GPU whenever I want to test new trobleshooting steps for this issue). When I leave PCIe settings on auto, it goes for gen4 which stops the setup from posting. My MOBO has only one PCIex16 slot (that should support gen4 along with the aforementioned CPU). The other large slot is a PCIex4 and the RTX won't fit there due to the case i'm using (MB400L from coolermaster).

image.png

On 2/1/2022 at 5:05 AM, Leandro Kataoka said:

Hi RMTM! Thanks for the help!

My CPU is a Ryzen 5600X, so no iGPU there (which makes me regret not going for the 5600G and having to change the GPU whenever I want to test new trobleshooting steps for this issue). When I leave PCIe settings on auto, it goes for gen4 which stops the setup from posting. My MOBO has only one PCIex16 slot (that should support gen4 along with the aforementioned CPU). The other large slot is a PCIex4 and the RTX won't fit there due to the case i'm using (MB400L from coolermaster).

image.png

No worries. Happy to help. I'm putting myself to your position right now. If I am you, what should I be doing to fix this. I understand how it sucks if you can't enjoy your rig.

Are you using a riser cable? Because riser cable version can sometimes make the PCIe lanes work if they do not match. Best to try and plug the gpu card to the motherboard first to try. Pardon if I or anyone have asked you already about this.

On 2/1/2022 at 4:26 AM, RMTM said:

No worries. Happy to help. I'm putting myself to your position right now. If I am you, what should I be doing to fix this. I understand how it sucks if you can't enjoy your rig.

Are you using a riser cable? Because riser cable version can sometimes make the PCIe lanes work if they do not match. Best to try and plug the gpu card to the motherboard first to try. Pardon if I or anyone have asked you already about this.

I'm not using a riser. The GPU is connected directly to the mobos PCIe slot.

Ps: well, I'm enjoying it. However, I'm not able to use the gen4 config. It's kinda of anoying to know I'm leaving performance on the table in some games, but hey... Looking on the bright side, it's posting now! 

And, dude, don't worry. Ask away. I'm not chastising people willing to help me. And thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Leandro Kataoka said:

I'm not using a riser. The GPU is connected directly to the mobos PCIe slot.

Ps: well, I'm enjoying it. However, I'm not able to use the gen4 config. It's kinda of anoying to know I'm leaving performance on the table in some games, but hey... Looking on the bright side, it's posting now! 

And, dude, don't worry. Ask away. I'm not chastising people willing to help me. And thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Good to know that it is posting now. But since your Gigabyte BIOS started supporting your type of cpu since 2020(BIOS F10 update) and if your AMD Chipset driver is up to date, you should be able to enjoy the PCIe gen4 features that you've paid for with all your PCIe gen4 parts. Try contacting Gigabyte online support, if you haven't yet. Their OEM support might have the best answer or solution to this as well.

Cheers and keep safe!