SUPER confusing GPU crap

HomeCactus

I'm sharing this here because I figured I'd see if anyone else has ever had issue like this, and also because I'm close to just chucking the card out of frustration.

I bought the card (RX580 8GB) about a year ago from one of my close friends. I actually got to try the card in his PC before buying it, and it worked fine. The first time I launched a game with the new card (on my PC) I immediately noticed some weird stuff. The issues got progressively worse over time. Multiple times I was able to completely fix it for a few weeks by simply reinstalling drivers, however this no longer does anything. To keep it organized I'll list every issue that it has had that I can remember.

When in some games, opening the in game typing "tool" it would have a huge fps drop (down to ~20 or so, I get around 200 normally). Occasionally fps would drop to about ~20 for a few minutes at a time and then go back to normal. 2 of the HDMI ports stopped working, leaving only one DP and the 3rd HDMI. At 4k it once had horizontal artifacting growing worse until eventually blank screening (this happened only a the few times as I don't use a 4k display regularly). Currently the issues are mostly this: it can for whatever reason run games flawlessly at fullscreen, however doing something as simple as playing a YT video in windowed mode or making small graphical changes like scrolling or dragging a window around, results in extreme fps stuttering and dropping (using multiple different browsers). With nearly everyone of these symptoms came these horrible "crackling" sounds, seemingly on every fps "stutter". I should also add that when the fps is stuttering, mouse tracking is very strange. It also occasionally black screens or freezes, forcing me to manually power down (Win+Ctrl+Shift+B does nothing), after which it will sometimes boot to windows apparently with deleted drivers (since installing drivers with Radeon software fixes the issue)

The things I've tried: reinstalling drivers, uninstalling then fresh installing drivers with DDU, reinstalling windows (twice), tinkering with under clocking and overclocking, flashing the gpu bios, throwing it through my wall (just kidding, but I certainly have felt like it a few times). I've tried the card in another systems resulting in very similar issues. I should add that in Linux it seems to have none of these issues, though I haven't tried any heavy games on Linux yet. Not that heavy games are at all an issue on windows.

:|

I've attached a short poor quality video of the stuttering with the audio crackling.

If you tried DDU and new vBIOS then I highly doubt this is a software problem.

Have you tired turning down the VRAM? Artifacting is often the sign of degraded VRAM.

You have tried a different cable and a different port type correct?

And on the super off chance, does it also do it with a different monitor?

4 hours ago, Frizz said:

If you tried DDU and new vBIOS then I highly doubt this is a software problem.

Have you tired turning down the VRAM? Artifacting is often the sign of degraded VRAM.

You have tried a different cable and a different port type correct?

And on the super off chance, does it also do it with a different monitor?

I will need to try turning down the VRAM.

I previously used a 1080p 75hz HDMI monitor, currently I'm using a 1080p 144hz DP, the issue was present on both.

Just today I installed it into a mining rig on HiveOS and it's mining at 31-32 mh/s ETH which uses primarily VRAM (yay more confusion).