DT 770 Pro alternatives?

tlhmaz

I have a dt 770 pro 250 ohms but the earshell yoke has been twisted and now its impossible to wear comfortably with glasses. What closed-back alternatives/upgrade do you think I should get? The dac I use is a soundblasterx g6, looking for an alternative around $100-200.

My priority order: Comfort > Looks > Sound

Thanks

Different sound signature but the Audio Technica's ATH M40x is a nice alternative. A bit more neutral so if you like the V-shape of the DT 770 it's not the best. The closest for me would be Meze Audio's 99 Neo but it's hard to find and sometimes overpriced by resellers and it's to bass-heavy

16 minutes ago, Kikorusan said:

Different sound signature but the Audio Technica's ATH M40x is a nice alternative. A bit more neutral so if you like the V-shape of the DT 770 it's not the best. The closest for me would be Meze Audio's 99 Neo but it's hard to find and sometimes overpriced by resellers and it's to bass-heavy

Do you think switching from 250 ohms 770s to m40x would be a downgrade?

50 minutes ago, tlhmaz said:

Do you think switching from 250 ohms 770s to m40x would be a downgrade?

Not really, it's just they're so different sound signature wise that it's more of a side grade. If you want to keep your DT 770 you can buy spare parts for it here

42 minutes ago, Kikorusan said:

Not really, it's just they're so different sound signature wise that it's more of a side grade. If you want to keep your DT 770 you can buy spare parts for it here

I saw that site but they only have 1 in stock.

2 hours ago, H713 said:

A decent option that may actually be an upgrade would be the Hifiman HE400SE.

Man I wish but I don’t have a quiet environment.

You can buy parts straight from beyer and fix it. Beyer's aside from the cable are really easy to fix. Would be much cheaper that straight replacement. If they are low instocl contact their support and they will back order it for you.

The DT series, the 770 too, exists for like 30 years or so, they are very popular. Indeed service parts and your DT770 can do the job for another 30 years or so.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Is it too twisted to bend back by hand? I usually bend the yokes on my headphones to adjust the clamp force anyways.

2 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

Is it too twisted to bend back by hand? I usually bend the yokes on my headphones to adjust the clamp force anyways.

No I can’t bend it back to original position. Shipping cost for beyerdynamic warranty repair is too much so I might as well buy another headphone.

23 hours ago, tlhmaz said:

No I can’t bend it back to original position. Shipping cost for beyerdynamic warranty repair is too much so I might as well buy another headphone.

What country are you in if you don't mind sharing? Would help with finding replacement options

5 hours ago, ShearMe said:

What country are you in if you don't mind sharing? Would help with finding replacement options

US

On 1/27/2022 at 7:22 PM, tlhmaz said:

I have a dt 770 pro 250 ohms but the earshell yoke has been twisted and now its impossible to wear comfortably with glasses. What closed-back alternatives/upgrade do you think I should get? The dac I use is a soundblasterx g6, looking for an alternative around $100-200.

My priority order: Comfort > Looks > Sound

Thanks

Heyo, 

As a glasses wearer as well I know how difficult it is to find comfortable headphones that don't put so much pressure on your head because of larger frames or clamping force. I personally was on a similar journey a few months ago and at the time I was comparing the DT 990s, ATH M40x and M50x. 

The M40x are honestly astounding headphones for the price, prior to that they were my main work headphones and I'd wear them all day for video editing, super comfortable and very adjustable they are honestly great and block out the outside world passively pretty well. I liked the DT's but just needed something with more isolation. For a while I couldn't justify the extra cost of the M50x until I tried them.

The feel is amazing, they are so comfortable and the sound is amazing for the price. They isolate very well too. The main differences between the M50x and the M40x is the slightly bigger driver and the overall construction. The M40x are a little more plastic-y but are lighter and have still great sound. However they are lacking in the low end a bit for my taste. I listen to metal music, rock music and the like the M50x have that extra kick that I want and in exchange for the price they sure to feel as much as they cost. Was about to buy them but luckily my brother got my them for my birthday so that was almost destined to happen.

However if the M50x are out of the price range, I get it 100%. The M40x are still amazing headphones I still have them floating around at my office and they will sound better than any other similarly price gaming headset thats for sure. Whats good too is with either of these, they will last you a good long while! 

Good luck with your search!