I can't think of the GPU to put on this thing.

I'm a blender professional using a 3090 and Threadripper 1900X. I have a friend who wants to get into blender and for starting wants a usable computer. He's now using a Ryzen 5 1600 with a Gigabyte B450M and 16 gigs of 3000 MHz RAM. He's now in for only a GPU upgrade under $500. And this is getting really hard for me because of his motherboard having PCIe Gen 3. Can anyone recommend the best GPU to use under $500?

If you can get one for MSRP, the 3060, 3060 Ti, and 3070 are really good for this system. The 3060 might actually be the best because of its 12GB frame buffer, but if you aren't doing huge renders that use the entirety of that frame buffer it won't make much of a difference. 

If you can't get one for MSRP (very likely in this market), your options are a lot more limited. You probably should stick to something Nvidia since AMD's renderer is pretty bad compared to Nvidia's. Right now, $500 is getting you a used GTX 1080. It's a pretty good card, but it's not exactly great for the $500 price your spending for it. That said, it's probably your best option. 

I need to get it right now, at inflated prices. I would recommend checking out opendata.blender.org for benchmarks. AMD GPUs, although not as fast as nvidia, are available at good rates and seem to perform equally as good at their prices. However, I'm not thinking of going with a latest gen GPU cuz of the Gen 3 MB. Can anyone tell me if the latest generation is worth the extra price on this MB or should I go with previous gen flagships from AMD or just 10 series Nvidia.