I need help fast, I need to know what happened to my laptop :(

zero_dmvh

Guys I am in dire need for an explanation of something that happened to my laptop. I wanted to add extra storage to my asus laptop (FA 506QM-HN016, TUF A15 2021), since i only had 70gb available on the ssd that came with it (out of 512) and went to a local electronics shop. First, they tried to put a SATA ssd to my laptop, but it didnt recognize it, (it was getting hot but it was still working fast) after that they tried to put a NVMe and it did recognize it, but by then the laptop was very hot. I thought they checked the model or something so they knew it was NVMe, but they didnt. After that I paid the guy, went home and when I turned it on the bottom part was starting to get hot (with no load) and the computer was very slow.
While I was there at the shop, I saw the guy touching the copper tubbing and he told me it was hot, he put it on a surface (i think it was plastoform) while he was doing everything (when the case was removed and he was changing the ssd and checking if the laptop recognized it) and he also mixed all the screws (he assumed all of them had the same height), he also increased the cores at start up so i wouldnt notice the slowdown (from 1 to 16) but it still shows signs of it and finally he cleaned the cooling fans with a blower (he cleaned it, but I dont know if it hurt my laptop).
Normally my laptop never got hot from start up, but now it does and it worked really fast and booted up fast with only one core. 
I plan to go tomorrow to see what happened, but I dont know if it is incompatibility (because I checked the model of the NVMe online and it says it should be compatible) or if something got damaged because of heat (if thats the case i want them to repair it), I dont know if the cpu got damaged or if any component got damaged (because the computer got hot while it was on the plastoform).

If anyone has any idea, I would be glad to hear it, thanks in advance

A slow laptop does not mean anything is damaged.

If the laptop wasn't working at all then something might be damaged.

Possible issues:

The core setting is creating extra heat.

Sounds like to me the wrongs screws are being used - could result in a deformed chassis or poor cooling contact.

Thermal pad damage or bad thermal paste contact maybe?

Eitherway seems like they did a shit job.

1 hour ago, zero_dmvh said:

I need help fast

to go fast go slow you must - Yoda | Meme Generator

he also increased the cores at start up so i wouldnt notice the slowdown (from 1 to 16) but it still shows signs of it and finally he cleaned the cooling fans with a blower (he cleaned it, but I dont know if it hurt my laptop).
Normally my laptop never got hot from start up, but now it does and it worked really fast and booted up fast with only one core. 

FYI

image.png.66b498c80a0e69ebfffaa773d141a4be.png

By default that checkbox is unticked, it doesn't mean only 1 core is used...

While I was there at the shop, I saw the guy touching the copper tubbing and he told me it was hot

Ah yes the touch test... I guess a blood sacrifice should be next followed by an enchantment. 🙄
Did at any point in time that guy (or you) bothered to check what the temperature readings are (either in BIOS or using software in Windows, since the laptop is obviously booting up)? Is your CPU throttling or not?

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

How "hot" does your laptop get?

Let's suppose you're slightly exaggerating the situation, have you checked for any running background softwares that use up plenty of resources? Some ssd's come with bloatware that auto installs at boot.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

7 hours ago, TrigrH said:

A slow laptop does not mean anything is damaged.

If the laptop wasn't working at all then something might be damaged.

Possible issues:

The core setting is creating extra heat.

Sounds like to me the wrongs screws are being used - could result in a deformed chassis or poor cooling contact.

Thermal pad damage or bad thermal paste contact maybe?

Eitherway seems like they did a shit job.

Thanks for the reply 😄

Well it was working perfectly before the ssd upgrade, that's why I can visually notice the slowdown.

The laptop is only 6 months old, but I will have a look over the thermal paste, however, they never disassembled the copper tubing, so I guess the thermal paste was ok, at least until before installing the new NVMe.

The screws also seemed wrong to me, because some were noticeably different, but he grouped them up anyway. I just hope permanent damage is not the problem.

I will go back there and ask them to remove the cpu, if the computer goes back to normal then the ssd was the issue.

6 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

to go fast go slow you must - Yoda | Meme Generator

FYI

image.png.66b498c80a0e69ebfffaa773d141a4be.png

By default that checkbox is unticked, it doesn't mean only 1 core is used...

Ah yes the touch test... I guess a blood sacrifice should be next followed by an enchantment. 🙄
Did at any point in time that guy (or you) bothered to check what the temperature readings are (either in BIOS or using software in Windows, since the laptop is obviously booting up)? Is your CPU throttling or not?

Thanks for the reply 😄

I mentioned the cores because when he booted it up after he installed the new NVMe he just went to cores at start up and increased it to 16, so i would say, yes it is operating as it used to be. 

No, no one checked the temperature, but it is weird that now the laptop heats up from start-up, can that mean that something got damaged? ;(. I thought the cpu would turn itself off if it got really hot to avoid damage, do laptop cpus have this protection?

It is throttling, it used to start up everything in 5 seconds, now it takes up to 1 minute to load the desktop ;(.

6 hours ago, thekingofmonks said:

How "hot" does your laptop get?

Let's suppose you're slightly exaggerating the situation, have you checked for any running background softwares that use up plenty of resources? Some ssd's come with bloatware that auto installs at boot.

Thanks for the reply 😄

Well comparing the performance from how it was before, it is hot (without load my laptop never got hot, but now if I turn it on and leave it there it starts to get hot). I didn't want to increase load because i thought it may damage  the internal components.

Right now I want to check if they screwed  my laptop (which seems to be the case) or not so that I can go tomorrow to ask them for a solution  I don't want my laptop or its components to be replaced, but if that's the case, I will sue them for doing a shitty job.

It is throttling, because with 16 cores enabled I saw some slowdown in basic tasks (opening tabs, looking for apps, etc).

I thought the cpu would turn itself off if it got really hot to avoid damage,

First it will stop boosting (boosting is going above base clock), then it will start throttling (going bellow base clock), only if that isn't enough it will shut down. Your laptop would need to be old enough to vote (and a bit more) in order to not have thermal protection heh. That being said, even with thermal protection it isn't a good idea to use it like that for months, running components at their limit will produce wear, thus shortening its lifespan.

Anyhow, install hwinfo or hwmonitor or aida, whatever, and check those temperatures. If it is thermal throttling the most likely culprit is badly mounted or deformed CPU heatsink or lack of thermal compound. Another likely culprit would be forgetting to plug in the fan(s)... it happens,  check if your fans are spinning.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet