Windows 11 - Feature Update 1 - Out Now! - Here is everything you need to know:

GoodBytes
17 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

What makes the current start menu unuseable?

Because my desktop does not have a touchscreen, items simply poured into the start menu without any sort of categories, its needlessly big, pinned section isnt needed, thats what the taskbar is for  (pressing winkwy+any number is quicker), recommended cannot be disabled. Hiding all apps behind a 2nd click is just dumb.

Win10 is a huge regression again in terms of usability for desktop/laptop users.

39 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Because my desktop does not have a touchscreen, items simply poured into the start menu without any sort of categories, its needlessly big, pinned section isnt needed, thats what the taskbar is for  (pressing winkwy+any number is quicker), recommended cannot be disabled. Hiding all apps behind a 2nd click is just dumb.

Win10 is a huge regression again in terms of usability for desktop/laptop users.

Still, why would you need to use categories etc? No matter how much organizing you'd be able to to, it will always be slower than just typing the first few letters of the app you're searching and hitting enter. So why bother with a start menu at all? Doesn't it just introduce a unnecessary step?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

22 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Havent seen anyone with a windows based tablet, even if i see someone with a 2in1 the screen is crystal clear (meaning they dont use the touch screen)..... This is just another false direction like WP was.

I have a windows 8 touchscreen tablet,  It is (was, as I hardly touch it anymore) actually really productive and intuitive to use as a touchscreen only.  I really think this is why so many people hated it with a keyboard/mouse.   And you're right, they should have given people the option to use it like 7, that was an oversight on MS's part. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Still, why would you need to use categories etc? No matter how much organizing you'd be able to to, it will always be slower than just typing the first few letters of the app you're searching and hitting enter. So why bother with a start menu at all? Doesn't it just introduce a unnecessary step?

Everyday stuff is pinned on the taskbar, guess why i need the star menu? Thats right, rarely used things, and as such moore often than not you wont remember the name but recognize it when you see it. Categorization is important, its a royal pain in the rear to look through all apps not just a single category with way less clutter....

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

It is (was, as I hardly touch it anymore) actually really productive and intuitive to use as a touchscreen only. 

It was a huge flop here, the device was either arm (no win32 programs) or so  underpowered that it could barely run windows....

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It was a huge flop here, the device was either arm (no win32 programs) or so  underpowered that it could barely run windows....

Mine is powered with an Atom,  It's not very powerful at all, but it's paired well with 32Gssd and 2G ram, which meant it carried out most office stuff very well.  It was shit as soon as you tried to do anything beyond that though. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Don't like this "feature" at all, I use voicemeeter and every time I wanted to get something from the overflow tab I would accidently press the mic button and it opens up the security window, NOT GOOD MS NOT GOOD.

Also there is no way of removing the icon at all, also NOT GOOD

if anyone suggest, BuT yOu CaN dIsAbLe MiC AcCsEsS, just grow up, if I disable it how can I use my mic then?!?!?!?

On 1/27/2022 at 2:54 AM, GoodBytes said:

Universal Mute and Unmute microphone button on the system tray (will show up when an app is using the microphone). Note: Applications will need to add support for it. So far Microsoft Teams has it implemented. With unsupported apps, the microphone button will just jump you the Microsoft privacy option panel under Settings.
1360826137_Screenshot2022-01-26212128.png.4437b7c3d10a8f28029977c2112fe2c2.png

On 1/27/2022 at 3:54 AM, GoodBytes said:

New Media Player app (replaces Groove and Movies & TV apps, but those apps are still included, so far)

Keep going MS, maybe one day you'll reach feature parity with 2005 vlc 😛 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 11 feature update has been release!

Check for update via Windows Update, it should show up today or tomorrow for you.

If you don't have the updated apps, check for app updates through the Store to get them.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/15/22934562/microsoft-windows-11-february-2022-update-android-apps-taskbar-improvements

Android apps on Windows is such a joke.

The app library was pathetically small when they announced it, and somehow there are fewer apps available today than when they announced it, and it's only available in the US, and even with sideloading it's kind of a pain to use.

I know that Microsoft are kind of stuck with this crappy solution because Google aren't working with them, but that does not make the feature any less shitty to me as a user.

The mute button is pointless if it requires developers to specifically program to use it. Why didn't they just make it globally mute all input devices? That's what I expected the button to do when they announced it. 

Share with Teams... Meh. I hope you can turn it off because I don't want it there. I feel like I'd be constantly afraid that I would share my screen by accident.

The new Notepad looks nice, but it performs way worse than the old notepad, which was already terrible performance wise.

They are putting lipstick on a pig.

None of these changes are the ones I have been asking for.

• Small size option for the task bar icons (and showing labels, without grouping).
  • Drag and drop support in the task bar.
  • The ability to remove the "recommended" section in the start menu.
  • Events in the calendar.
  • The ability to change browser easily.
  • A sneak peek at pictures and images in non-empty folders (right now an empty and non empty folder looks basically identical).
  • Being able to run it on newer hardware than 8th gen Intel and third gen Ryzen without fearing that you might not get updates.

And that list is just some of the stuff I think became worse with Windows 11 compared to Windows 10. That's not the very long list of things I want to see with Windows as a whole. Things like tabs in explorer, the ability to install individual updates, turning off telemetry, making the store not suck, making Edge not suck anymore, etc etc...

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The new Notepad looks nice, but it performs way worse than the old notepad, which was already terrible performance wise.

Let me just open this few MB log text file.... ahhh mistake!

Notepad++ to the rescue

Upgraded to 11 this week.  Discovered that skype returned to defaults, and forgot permissions for my camera/mic/speakers.  Discovered that what did have access to my camera, was the MS app store, and some other garbage like XBOX games.  MS owns skype, ffs.

The mind reels.

3 minutes ago, IPD said:

Upgraded to 11 this week.  Discovered that skype returned to defaults, and forgot permissions for my camera/mic/speakers.  Discovered that what did have access to my camera, was the MS app store, and some other garbage like XBOX games.  MS owns skype, ffs.

yeah hate stuff like that, "we are secure" now lets just restart this premission and access your camera and mic without being told to do so.

+ running in the background for good meassure, even when exiting the program. just love this freedom.

28 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Let me just open this few MB log text file.... ahhh mistake!

Notepad++ to the rescue

Exactly

I just don't get how Notepad can use like 10 times as much resources as Notepad++, but have less than 1/100 of the features.

I wish Microsoft would buy Notepad++ and then build a new Notepad version based on that.

Make a "base" mode by disabling all the extra features and then make a toggle for an "advanced mode" that is just Notepad++.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Android apps on Windows is such a joke.

The app library was pathetically small when they announced it, and somehow there are fewer apps available today than when they announced it, and it's only available in the US, and even with sideloading it's kind of a pain to use.

I know that Microsoft are kind of stuck with this crappy solution because Google aren't working with them, but that does not make the feature any less shitty to me as a user.

The mute button is pointless if it requires developers to specifically program to use it. Why didn't they just make it globally mute all input devices? That's what I expected the button to do when they announced it. 

Share with Teams... Meh. I hope you can turn it off because I don't want it there. I feel like I'd be constantly afraid that I would share my screen by accident.

They are putting lipstick on a pig.

None of these changes are the ones I have been asking for.

• Small size option for the task bar icons (and showing labels, without grouping).
  • Drag and drop support in the task bar.
  • The ability to remove the "recommended" section in the start menu.
  • Events in the calendar.
  • The ability to change browser easily.
  • A sneak peek at pictures and images in non-empty folders (right now an empty and non empty folder looks basically identical).
  • Being able to run it on newer hardware than 8th gen Intel and third gen Ryzen without fearing that you might not get updates.

And that list is just some of the stuff I think became worse with Windows 11 compared to Windows 10. That's not the very long list of things I want to see with Windows as a whole. Things like tabs in explorer, the ability to install individual updates, turning off telemetry, making the store not suck, making Edge not suck anymore, etc etc...

What they did with Windows 11 functionality is nothing short of idiotic.

Forced grouping of ALL windows and forced tiny taskbar buttons is so monumentally stupid I can't describe it. Not to mention I don't get it WHY. Windows 10 had option, so did Windows 8 and 7. You could have them compact or always full size. And I used full size ones without any grouping. Now I have a 27" 1440p monitor with all the god damn tiny taskbar buttons packed in 5cm area in left bottom corner. And the rest of taskbar is literally scratching it's own digital ass and being empty 99% of the time.

Stupid grouping paired with absolute lack of drag and drop support makes it so incredibly clumsy to work with files and folders it's insane. You have to click on taskbar group and select correct window to expand. Then drag file into it. The amount of times I wanted to drag images for editing in Paint.NET and be reminded I'm running stupidiuty called Windows 11 happened so many times I lost count.

Or dealing with file extensions. In almost 30 years of using Windows I've not once experienced such monumental idiocy as with Windows 11.

45 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Exactly

I just don't get how Notepad can use like 10 times as much resources as Notepad++, but have less than 1/100 of the features.

I wish Microsoft would buy Notepad++ and then build a new Notepad version based on that.

Make a "base" mode by disabling all the extra features and then make a toggle for an "advanced mode" that is just Notepad++.

VS Code?

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

VS Code?

If I wanted as many features as possible then yes that's an alternative, but my issue with notepad is also about performance, and VS Code is god awful in that regard. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

If I wanted as many features as possible then yes that's an alternative, but my issue with notepad is also about performance, and VS Code is god awful in that regard. 

But.. I don't see the performance issues of Notepad... I mean beside the fact that it has trouble (so say the least) loading large files....

It opens instantly, search is just as fast as before.... and this is on a Core i7 930 with a GeForce 680, on a system with 6GB of RAM where ~70% of it is typically used.

Like I am switching to my work system which is on Win10 (and is a FAR faster system (Core i7 10510U, 12GB of RAM), and I don't see a difference in performance. 

The only difference I can think about, is that Win11 new Notepad has smooth scrolling, and Win10 doesn't.

So because of the animation of smooth scrolling, it might look like it doesn't scroll as fast as a result?!

Now, a note, my display is only 60Hz.. maybe there is a performance issue on 120Hz+ monitors, where maybe the scrolling animation is limited in fps, and so looks far slower?!

I guess, I'll know, hopefully by the end of the year if there is no cryptocurrency based on the number of monitors or some shit like that, so that I can get one (assuming GPU prices also drop)

41 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

But.. I don't see the performance issues of Notepad... I mean beside the fact that it has trouble (so say the least) loading large files....

It opens instantly, search is just as fast as before.... and this is on a Core i7 930 with a GeForce 680, on a system with 6GB of RAM where ~70% of it is typically used.

Like I am switching to my work system which is on Win10 (and is a FAR faster system (Core i7 10510U, 12GB of RAM), and I don't see a difference in performance. 

The only difference I can think about, is that Win11 new Notepad has smooth scrolling, and Win10 doesn't.

So because of the animation of smooth scrolling, it might look like it doesn't scroll as fast as a result?!

Now, a note, my display is only 60Hz.. maybe there is a performance issue on 120Hz+ monitors, where maybe the scrolling animation is limited in fps, and so looks far slower?!

I guess, I'll know, hopefully by the end of the year if there is no cryptocurrency based on the number of monitors or some shit like that, so that I can get one (assuming GPU prices also drop)

Since Notepad barely has any features, not being able to open decently sized text files is kind of a big deal. It is bad at 1 of the like 4 functions it has. 

Also, I am not sure if tis was fixed in the general release, but in the preview new Notepad took a lot longer to load (maybe like a second longer) and used 10 times as much RAM as the old one. From about 2MB to around 20MB.

In before "who cares about 18MB of RAM, I got 32GB!" and "it's only a second or so longer".

I care, because it indicates sloppy coding when even their extremely simple programs are bloated.

Notepad should under no circumstances require more RAM than Notepad++. If it does (which this new version does) then it indicates poor optimization skills from Microsoft, and if they can't even be bothered to code their simple text editor properly then I don't want to know how Windows itself is written.

On my work PC (which is running 11, because I'm one of the guinea pigs who gets everything early) I had a bunch of documents open in notepad, unsaved of course (they weren't that important). 

It decided to update the notepad app on it's own, and I lost everything that was unsaved lol. Just a heads up in case anyone else using 11 at home/work 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

42 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

On my work PC (which is running 11, because I'm one of the guinea pigs who gets everything early) I had a bunch of documents open in notepad, unsaved of course (they weren't that important). 

It decided to update the notepad app on it's own, and I lost everything that was unsaved lol. Just a heads up in case anyone else using 11 at home/work 

That sounds like a feedback hub tickets.

ToDo doesn't update, unless forced via the Store, if it is running. I noticed. So this functionality looks like it exists.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:02 AM, Thaldor said:

Touch screens and tablets are the future, everyone gonna have one in couple years. Micropesoft is jsut taking the needed steps to assure they are on the very peak of the development before the big rush to tablets and touchscreens starts, they are just making sure no one will get the #1 place this time. Soon they will release their brand new and excellent in anyway cheap tablet brand "Lumia" which will make the pathway to the bright future of this new and amazing technology. Desktop computers are dead.

I mean people said the same thing a decade ago that all computers were going to shift to touch screens and that has yet to pan out still. While that is how tablets/phones work and a few people on laptops, I know no one who ever has used touch screen on desktop and personally I wouldn't ever want to anyways. 

36 minutes ago, Inkz said:

I mean people said the same thing a decade ago that all computers were going to shift to touch screens and that has yet to pan out still. While that is how tablets/phones work and a few people on laptops, I know no one who ever has used touch screen on desktop and personally I wouldn't ever want to anyways. 

Seriously, was my sarcasm level so high people don't see that was around 110% sarcasm?

I thought the "Lumia" and "touch screens are the future" gave away that I was joking about Microsoft being even slower than Internet Explorer and I kind of hoped the next part about Microsoft getting a memo too late really gave out that the whole thing was more or less joke about Microsoft being about a decade too late.