Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need Advice - Looking for Wireless Open Back headphones

Hi All.

So my fiance and I just adopted a kitten this past weekend and he loves to chew wires. Working on curbing the habit, but in the meantime, i thought I might look to replace my Sennheiser PC37X's with a wireless alternative.

I'm trying to figure out what my best option would be for a wireless open back headset. The headphones would be my daily drivers for work calls (over Microsoft Teams), gaming, and general media consumption. A built in mic would also be a huge plus, but not a requirement. I guess I could always use a mod mic or standalone desk mic if needed. I also prefer open back due to the fact that they don't get as hot as closed back sets do and i've grown accustomed to the larger sound stage. 

Does what I'm looking for even exist or should I settle for a pair of closed back?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Besides the Grado GW100-V2 (on the cheaper side, $250) and the Ananda Wireless (on the more expensive, $800), there's not much held within the wireless open-back niche. They don't really exist because they don't sell... people who want wireless typically want portability, and open-backs are well renown for being a poor choice in a public setting. 

Sadly if you want wireless you're likely going to have to go closed. If you want a built-in mic you're pretty much limited to headsets, but then you also tradeoff sound quality because headsets are typically poorly tuned (not that wireless isn't already a tradeoff in itself). So either deal with the chewed up cables, get a headset, or get an Ananda BT with a ModMic for about a grand 😂

Aside from the Audeze planar offerings there's not much I'd recommend in the wireless headset space, even they have their flaws (plus lossy wireless codec limitations). Maybe look at the Penrose/X or Mobius and try to EQ out the hole in the midrange if none of the presets suffice.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components 

WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6986PS 6x9" 4-Ways

MY MOST RECENT VIDEO: https://youtu.be/RDIglVuQysU

MY IEM TARGET: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zux7mtjRSYxyZ5dX8   MY HEADPHONE TARGET: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bu2gtdax4mLFTP7d8

12 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Besides the Grado GW100-V2 (on the cheaper side, $250) and the Ananda Wireless (on the more expensive, $800), there's not much held within the wireless open-back niche. They don't really exist because they don't sell... people who want wireless typically want portability, and open-backs are well renown for being a poor choice in a public setting. 

Sadly if you want wireless you're likely going to have to go closed. If you want a built-in mic you're pretty much limited to headsets, but then you also tradeoff sound quality because headsets are typically poorly tuned (not that wireless isn't already a tradeoff in itself). So either deal with the chewed up cables, get a headset, or get an Ananda BT with a ModMic for about a grand 😂

Aside from the Audeze planar offerings there's not much I'd recommend in the wireless headset space, even they have their flaws (plus lossy wireless codec limitations). Maybe look at the Penrose/X or Mobius and try to EQ out the hole in the midrange if none of the presets suffice.

Thanks so much for the reply! The more I've thought about it and looked around online, the more i think I'm just going to get a free standing mic and a decent set of open back headphones. Looks like what I was looking for is an incredibly small use case haha. Guess I'm just going to have to up my cable management game.

The Hifiman Deva Wireless is ~$300. At a much lower price point, the KSC35 wireless is cheaper and good-sounding but the battery life and interface aren't very good.

If you plan on gaming, none of these will be sufficient. Bluetooth latency is usually 100-200ms. You'd have to look for aptX-LL or a proprietary wireless standard.

Sennheiser used to make wireless open backs for movie watching (RS120, for instance), which should have reasonably low latency, though I can't comment on how good they are.

24 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

The Hifiman Deva Wireless is ~$300. At a much lower price point, the KSC35 wireless is cheaper and good-sounding but the battery life and interface aren't very good.

Deva pro came out for $30 extra pretty recently. Improved dac module (and it's r2r for some reason..), smaller form factor, headphone can be used with single/double 3.5mm cables, the deva now has the stealth magnets, ect. No power specs on the bt module now, though, would assume it's lower.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

On 1/27/2022 at 3:56 PM, Entropy. said:

Deva pro came out for $30 extra pretty recently. Improved dac module (and it's r2r for some reason..), smaller form factor, headphone can be used with single/double 3.5mm cables, the deva now has the stealth magnets, ect. No power specs on the bt module now, though, would assume it's lower.

Now there's something I didn't know I wanted until now...