Issues / questions after first pc build

Jarco

NOTE: Sorry if it's not explained well i don't really know how to properly.

I have 9x lian li fans wich i have hooked up through their controller in groups of 3, i also have the cable to connect it to a rgb and fan header on the monther bord so i can use PWM.
I've this all works, but when i put a load on the cpu (5950x) it instandly shoots all fans upto almost max because of my cpu hitting 88 degrees celcious basicly instandly and this gets really loud.
Is it normal for my cpu to hit these temps instandly with precission boost overdrive enabled?

And, i am stuck and not sure what programs i should all download for controlling my leds / overclocks on the gpu.

Hardware:

CPU: 5950x (with PBO enabled)

GPU: Asus tuf gaming geforce rtx 3090

RAM: GSkill trident z rgb
Mb: NZXT n7 b550
AIO: NZXT kraken x73 (changed the fans to lian li AL120)

As far as those temps go, I would pull your AIO block back off and make sure you have good thermal paste coverage and that you removed any stickers. It should take a good while to get to temperature and I would expect it to be quite a bit lower.

Once you fix the temp problems your fans should chill out (no pun intended)

As for RGB software, just go to your motherboard support page downloads section and download there RGB software from there.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

9 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

As far as those temps go, I would pull your AIO block back off and make sure you have good thermal paste coverage and that you removed any stickers. It should take a good while to get to temperature and I would expect it to be quite a bit lower.

Once you fix the temp problems your fans should chill out (no pun intended)

As for RGB software, just go to your motherboard support page downloads section and download there RGB software from there.

I have 1 issue with pulling off the aio block and that is that i don't have any thermal paste to put it back on again and it was installed by the company i bougth my pc from (they pre installed the cpu / cooler and a few other things while i did the rest my self.

I did how ever come across the plastic cover for the thermal paste when i was building the pc so they did defenitly take that of (it was a hardplastic cover)

4 minutes ago, Jarco said:

I have 1 issue with pulling off the aio block and that is that i don't have any thermal paste to put it back on again and it was installed by the company i bougth my pc from (they pre installed the cpu / cooler and a few other things while i did the rest my self.

I did how ever come across the plastic cover for the thermal paste when i was building the pc so they did defenitly take that of (it was a hardplastic cover)

You can get thermal paste form best buy for cheap, heck even toothpaste should do better than that. I ran toothpaste for 3 months once and it didn't even dry out.

The one other thing you can check is to see if the pump power cable coming off the block is plugged in. if it is a 4 pin fan plug you should see RPMs reported back. Can't remember if a 3 pin plug will do that.

If the pump is not pumping than it will heat up fast, but if it's instant that still sounds like a paste issue.

2 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

You can get thermal paste form best buy for cheap, heck even toothpaste should do better than that. I ran toothpaste for 3 months once and it didn't even dry out.

The one other thing you can check is to see if the pump power cable coming off the block is plugged in. if it is a 4 pin fan plug you should see RPMs reported back. Can't remember if a 3 pin plug will do that.

If the pump is not pumping than it will heat up fast, but if it's instant that still sounds like a paste issue.

I've already looked at the pump, it's reporting it's rpm to nzxt cam so that issue is locked out.

As for repasting it I'll wait a bit and see what others say as i am not exactly keen in doing it 😕

check that your AIO is plugged in the AIO port on your board, that should give it max pump speed or close, with water cooling the CPU temp are irrelevant, since blasting up fan speeds will not make it any cooler directly, it will have to cool down the water inside your AIO. 

you can safely set it to ignore in BIOS, to avoid error msgs at boot. just make sure your AIO are running close to max, the fans you can play with the speed, as these are to cool the water again. 

3 hours ago, Robchil said:

check that your AIO is plugged in the AIO port on your board, that should give it max pump speed or close, with water cooling the CPU temp are irrelevant, since blasting up fan speeds will not make it any cooler directly, it will have to cool down the water inside your AIO. 

you can safely set it to ignore in BIOS, to avoid error msgs at boot. just make sure your AIO are running close to max, the fans you can play with the speed, as these are to cool the water again. 

The aio pump is plugged into the aio header and both in the bios and in nzxt cam it's reporting a rpm for it and the pump speed is at 100% when it hits like 55c already.

Could aftermarket thermalpaste make a noticable difference in temps?
Because when i was testing earlier the cpu hit 90c with the fans on the rad at full speed, and only getting temps lower when i decided to turn all fans in my case upto 100% (9x AL120 from lian li)

UPDATE

so, i've decided to run cinebench r23 on multicore for 10 min my cpu maxed out at 79-80 degrees celcious while the liquid maxed out at around 35 celcious this is however with all my fans at max speed so thats rather luid, (9x AL120) the temps seem normal imo but i could be wrong hints why i am posting this to be sure

11 hours ago, Jarco said:

Could aftermarket thermalpaste make a noticable difference in temps?

As far as normal paste goes, it could vary by like 1 or 2 degrees, so not much. Specific thermal pastes making a difference are mostly just for extreme usages like sub zero or LN2 overclocks. A gallium based paste (like conductonaut) would get a lower temp, but comes with some downsides, like how it will literally dissolve anything made of aluminium and short things out if it drips.

After doing some googling it seems that the 5960X is just a fkin hot chip. Apparently those temps are kinda normal. So I guess it might be worth researching some gallium paste then.

2 hours ago, Justin_ said:

As far as normal paste goes, it could vary by like 1 or 2 degrees, so not much. Specific thermal pastes making a difference are mostly just for extreme usages like sub zero or LN2 overclocks. A gallium based paste (like conductonaut) would get a lower temp, but comes with some downsides, like how it will literally dissolve anything made of aluminium and short things out if it drips.

After doing some googling it seems that the 5960X is just a fkin hot chip. Apparently those temps are kinda normal. So I guess it might be worth researching some gallium paste then.

I am afraid i  am not really willing to go to gallium as i just don't like the idea of it so I'll just stick with this as it's aparently just a hot chip