Server PSU to ATX

CoolBuster999
Server power supplies nowadays are much cheaper and much more efficient than ATX PSUs of the same quality not to mention smaller to power a motherboard and components (the noise is not an issue). This makes me believe that there has to be a conversion of some kind from something like a 2U or a 3U server style backplane to power a motherboard and its components.

I have done a lot of looking for this but I can mainly find distribution units ripped out of servers that are for redundant PSUs or they don't support wattage higher than 700W. Does anyone have any idea on where I can look?

Look at bitcoin mining gear. Lots of people used those there for that exact reason.

A lot of them are 12 volts only, so you might need a pico PSU for the motherboard and any SSDs you might use.

Something along the lines of the 2 following things.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WCNGMP3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09156HP1B

The thing is unless you have free server PSUs it will probably end up being the same price and not mount to your case.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

25 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

Look at bitcoin mining gear. Lots of people used those there for that exact reason.

A lot of them are 12 volts only, so you might need a pico PSU for the motherboard and any SSDs you might use.

Something along the lines of the 2 following things.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WCNGMP3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09156HP1B

The thing is unless you have free server PSUs it will probably end up being the same price and not mount to your case.

That's why I was trying to find a better and more seamless solution than trying to buy mining breakout boards that can also add to the bulkiness of the concept.

1 hour ago, CoolBuster999 said:
Server power supplies nowadays are much cheaper and much more efficient than ATX PSUs of the same quality not to mention smaller to power a motherboard and components (the noise is not an issue).

You're talking used, right?  Because at retail, a "REAL" server PSU (one that you would want to use in an actual server) is about 3 or 4x more expensive than ATX.

For example:  A Super Micro or Artesyn 80 PLUS Titanium 1000W 1U PSU is over $300.  

Those Chinese 2U "mining" PSUs are NOT server PSUs.  They're bombs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 8:09 PM, jonnyGURU said:

You're talking used, right?  Because at retail, a "REAL" server PSU (one that you would want to use in an actual server) is about 3 or 4x more expensive than ATX.

For example:  A Super Micro or Artesyn 80 PLUS Titanium 1000W 1U PSU is over $300.  

Those Chinese 2U "mining" PSUs are NOT server PSUs.  They're bombs.

I think you are misinformed. Miners use ATX style PSUs and some other funky ones that I think is what you are talking about. Miners are now using 1U server power supplies and use a breakout board to separate the lanes. Similar (larger watt) to the I have in an older HP PROLIANT DL160 G6 server.

27 minutes ago, CoolBuster999 said:

I think you are misinformed. Miners use ATX style PSUs and some other funky ones that I think is what you are talking about. Miners are now using 1U server power supplies and use a breakout board to separate the lanes. Similar (larger watt) to the I have in an older HP PROLIANT DL160 G6 server.

I sure as hell am not "misinformed".  LOL!

I CURRENTLY work in the power supply industry and PRIOR spent many years in IT.  I am not "MISINFORMED".

I think you just really poorly phrased your original post AND THEN misunderstood/misrepresented what I said.

You used a blanket statement of "server PSUs are cheaper" and when you compare them one to one (same wattage, same efficiency, etc.) they most certainly are NOT. Because a server PSU has to be made more "mission critical" than a consumer level product.

If you're comparing a USED server unit to a NEW ATX unit, then that can be true.   But that's like comparing a used Lamborghini with some pretty serious cosmetic damage to a brand new Toyota off the lot and saying "well... the Lamborghini is faster and handles better than the Toyota.  I don't know why anyone would buy the Toyota". 

The kind of "server PSUs" that you find NEW on sites like Amazon like the $167 "2000W", "90 PLUS GOLD" PSUs are not "server" PSUs.  They use similar form factors, but they're actually bombs in disguise.

But let's get passed the shitty semantics and get to the actual heart of your post:

"I can mainly find distribution units ripped out of servers that are for redundant PSUs or they don't support wattage higher than 700W."

If you're looking on auction sites, that's why.  MOST servers are using upwards of 700W.  Not 2000W.  And those that did end up on Fleabay already got picked off by your mining buddies.  What you SHOULD do, is be more specific with your search and look at vendors that specialize in refurbished server parts.

Google things like "Refurbished Dell PowerEdge Power Supply" or "Refurbished HPE ProLiant Power Supply" and you should be able to find a bunch for under $200.