Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How bad will music sound on gaming headphones?

diseasedw0rm

Looking at the Logitech G733 because it's what I've had recommended to me and I decided I'll just look into that because I can't find anything else I like better. And headphones + an amp + a mic gets pretty expensive. (was looking at the Sennheiser HD 560S btw, if that info can be useful for some reason) Like will I even notice if the sound quality is kinda bad? I've used the Steelseries Arctis 5 for a while, bought the Arctis Pro wireless and didn't hear a difference. But I'm returning the Pro wireless because turns out they kinda suck imo. There probably is a difference, but I personally can't notice it.

I could probably afford the headphones, amp, and mic but also I don't wanna spend that much on headphones again but this time they're wired which I would probably be fine with, and I hate a little less.

3 minutes ago, diseasedw0rm said:

Looking at the Logitech G733 because it's what I've had recommended to me and I decided I'll just look into that because I can't find anything else I like better. And headphones + an amp + a mic gets pretty expensive. (was looking at the Sennheiser HD 560S btw, if that info can be useful for some reason) Like will I even notice if the sound quality is kinda bad? I've used the Steelseries Arctis 5 for a while, bought the Arctis Pro wireless and didn't hear a difference. But I'm returning the Pro wireless because turns out they kinda suck imo. There probably is a difference, but I personally can't notice it.

I could probably afford the headphones, amp, and mic but also I don't wanna spend that much on headphones again but this time they're wired which I would probably be fine with, and I hate a little less.

where are you listening to the music from?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

I have the G935 and they're my favorite headphones for music (next to Sony and Bose ones) so a gaming headset can definitely be good enough for music.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

where are you listening to the music from?

spotify

I've heard audiophile reviewers say that if you don't know what your missing out on you're not really missing out on anything, or rather that's my take on it.  To me once you get used to a pair of headphones or a gaming headset it really doesn't matter what level they're at, I have a pair of $40 Koss that I absolutely adore!  I'm sure that headsets have become much better in the 8 years since I've purchased one but now that I have a modmic I really see no reason to try one again.

But to answer your question it won't be a horrible experience, it's just that it leaves more on the table which is pretty much any hobby or item to purchase really.  It comes down to how much you are willing to spend to find out how much you're missing.

I can however recommend the X2HR with a neego boom mic on it for about the cost of a headset but it lacks some creature comforts of a headset like a flip to mute mic or a retractable mic or a volume dial etc etc.  But it does offer a listening experience that I have second hand knowledge to be a pretty enjoyable one.  The quality of the neego boom mic isn't the greatest and I'm more than certain gamer headsets will offer a better experience in that regard (I have a neego and vmoda but haven't tested them much yet).

It's kind of like buying a PC, you can get an all in one, a prebuilt or a custom rig depending on how much you want to spend, how much research you want to do and how much room for expansion you want.

I went with a sennheiser headset for many years and had zero complaints and eventually I got a modmic and headphones then a dac/amp and it just continued from there.  I would say that you have 2 options.  Find a positively reviewed headset, or get an attachment boom mic and find headphones that will play nice with onboard and perhaps later upgrade the dac/amp.

Cans                                          Amps                                                               Speakers                                      Mic

Sennheiser 6xx                          Topping DX7 (dac/amp) (class D balanced)     Micca RB42                                  Antlion ModMic Uni

Beyerdynamic DT880-600         Emotiva A-100 (class A)                                                                                         Vmoda Boom Pro

Phillips Fidelio X3                      Nobsound Little Bear P7 (pure tube)                 Accessories                                Neego boom mic

Harmonicdyne Zeus                   Little dot MKII (pure tube)                                  Dekoni, Brainwavz and ZMF pads

Fostex T50RP                            Darkvoice 336SE (pure tube)                            Hart and Periapt cables

HiFi-man HE400i (2017)            Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)                Yoga Blocks (headphone stands)

Blue Microphones Lola               Xduoo MT-602 (class A hybrid tube)

Koss KPH30iCL                          Schiit Fulla (class D dac/amp)                          Headset

AKG K-361-BT                                                                                                      Turtle Beach Stealth 700 v2 + adapter

Phillips shp9500

AKG K240 studio

10 minutes ago, diseasedw0rm said:

spotify

premium or regular?

Cans                                          Amps                                                               Speakers                                      Mic

Sennheiser 6xx                          Topping DX7 (dac/amp) (class D balanced)     Micca RB42                                  Antlion ModMic Uni

Beyerdynamic DT880-600         Emotiva A-100 (class A)                                                                                         Vmoda Boom Pro

Phillips Fidelio X3                      Nobsound Little Bear P7 (pure tube)                 Accessories                                Neego boom mic

Harmonicdyne Zeus                   Little dot MKII (pure tube)                                  Dekoni, Brainwavz and ZMF pads

Fostex T50RP                            Darkvoice 336SE (pure tube)                            Hart and Periapt cables

HiFi-man HE400i (2017)            Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)                Yoga Blocks (headphone stands)

Koss KPH30iCL                          Schiit Fulla (class D dac/amp)                          Headset

AKG K-361-BT                                                                                                      Turtle Beach Stealth 700 v2 + adapter

Phillips shp9500

AKG K240 studio

10 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I've heard audiophile reviewers say that if you don't know what your missing out on you're not really missing out on anything

This. Ignorance really is bliss.

5800x/3090

9 minutes ago, Psittac said:

premium or regular?

premium

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

This. Ignorance really is bliss.

More like once you get to a certain level, the equipment is less important than enjoying the music its self.  I have 10 pairs of headphones and get a kick out of comparing them to each other, but like I said my $30 kph30i with $10 pads on them are very enjoyable.  I can say that even the headphones that aren't my favorite I can still enjoy, but I don't have to.

2 minutes ago, diseasedw0rm said:

premium

Then I'd say that some audio quality is probably being left on the table with a gaming headset, though I don't know for sure

Phillips shp9500

AKG K240 studio

13 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I've heard audiophile reviewers say that if you don't know what your missing out on you're not really missing out on anything, or rather that's my take on it. 

Hard agree. If music sounds good to you on the headset then it's good. 

1 minute ago, Psittac said:

Then I'd say that some audio quality is probably being left on the table with a gaming headset, though I don't know for sure

Now I'm wondering if I should just buy the Sennheiser HD 560S and a mic and just get an amp or dac later. But also I don't even know the difference between an amp and dac, or what they even do.

And would I need to spend much on an amp or dac or are there good ones for fairly cheap? Like maybe $25 or something like that?

13 minutes ago, diseasedw0rm said:

Now I'm wondering if I should just buy the Sennheiser HD 560S and a mic and just get an amp or dac later. But also I don't even know the difference between an amp and dac, or what they even do.

And would I need to spend much on an amp or dac or are there good ones for fairly cheap? Like maybe $25 or something like that?

The 560s will work well with onboard audio and a dac/amp will just make it clearer and fuller, kind of like adding dynamic range to the sound.  A dac is what turns the digital signal into an analogue signal but it's only at line voltage so it's just an analogue signal, it can't power headphones.  An amp is what amplifies the sound and gives it the power to drive headphones.  Digital to Analogue Converter and Amplifier. (some units are a dac/amp or both in one)  Onboard audio has come a long ways but it leaves room to improve.  I wouldn't spend anything under $100 on a dac and amp, at least I don't know of anything under that price which is better than onboard.  I would say the entry level is the shiit fulla or perhaps the sennheiser GSX but someone mentioned that the input for the mic is very low bitrate.  The fulla will give you about the same capability as onboard but more refined.  Both will drive the 560s  *edit: Another competent option sans mic input is the Fiio K3

Again, you will be happy with a good gaming headset, it just comes down to how much you want to improve the experience, how much your wallet agrees with your needs and where the point of diminishing returns is for you.

Phillips shp9500

AKG K240 studio

12 minutes ago, Psittac said:

The 560s will work well with onboard audio and a dac/amp will just make it clearer and fuller, kind of like adding dynamic range to the sound.  A dac is what turns the digital signal into an analogue signal but it's only at line voltage so it's just an analogue signal, it can't power headphones.  An amp is what amplifies the sound and gives it the power to drive headphones.  Digital to Analogue Converter and Amplifier. (some units are a dac/amp or both in one)  Onboard audio has come a long ways but it leaves room to improve.  I wouldn't spend anything under $100 on a dac and amp, at least I don't know of anything under that price which is better than onboard.  I would say the entry level is the shiit fulla or perhaps the sennheiser GSX but someone mentioned that the input for the mic is very low bitrate.  The fulla will give you about the same capability but more refined.  Both will drive the 560s

Again, you will be happy with a good gaming headset, it just comes down to how much you want to improve the experience, how much your wallet agrees with your needs and where the point of diminishing returns is for you.

And now I have another issue. The top review for the G733 is only 2 stars, but there's a ton of 5 star reviews also. I don't really wanna get headphones I don't like again and have to return them again, which is probably what's making buying headphones so hard for me. At this point I'm considering just getting the Sennheiser headphones + an amp or dac and just using my PS5 controller mic for my PC for a while.

23 minutes ago, diseasedw0rm said:

But also I don't even know the difference between an amp and dac, or what they even do.

An amp is just an amplifier. It amplifies the analog signal coming from the DAC so the headphones can make sound. The DAC is the digital to analog converter. A DAC/amp combo is more simple. Most are USB to the PC and 3.5mm or 6.3mm output to headphones.

I've seen the HD560S needing more power to sound the best. Just going off of what others have said.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 2pcs of 500gb M2 SSDs, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming/Music🎧

Hifiman HE400i 2020 as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

The T.bone SC400 XLR mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Glorious model D-

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

I think the HD569's are better all-around than the HD560s, but the thing to keep in mind is that "music" is not a one-stop shop.  Genres, artists, recording methods--all produce different results on any given pair of cans.  Cello music may sound great on one pair, and dubstep sounds horrible on that same pair (or vice versa).

23 hours ago, diseasedw0rm said:

According to reviewers, the HD560S is on the neutral side, a tad bit bright. If that appeals to you, go with it. If you have no idea what it means, go to an audio store, listen to a few cans, and post here your impressions. It's better to have a point of reference before making any further recommendations.

The sound output you hear from any digital device was initially converted from bits (digital) to analog waves (the sound you hear) by a DAC. The amplifier gets the signal generated by the DAC and amplifies it, while controlling your loudspeakers or headphones woofers, twitters, and whatnot. There are a lot of options between $100 and $300 for both amps and DACs. The higher the resistance (impedance), and the lower the sensitivity of your loudspeakers or headphones, the more you need a proper amp.

The general rule is that gaming headphones are overpriced piece of hot garbage, and many only learn the hard way.

^ That's because--like gaming chairs--they are sold/marketed with flashy aesthetics, and little substance/durability.