Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Freezes or crashes in games using a GTX 1070

Phoenix128zx

Hi there,

I've recently migrated from a i7 6700K to a Ryzen 5800x but I kept my GTX 1070.

I tested two Gigabyte motherboards before settling for an Asus ROG Strix B550-F WiFi II.

My PSU is a 2019 Corsair RM850x and what I can reproduce is:

Deathloop glitches and crashes

Doom Eternal freezes as soon as it reaches the main menu, also with glitches

Furmark works perfectly fine

3D Mark crashes all its tests

However, if I force a custom fan curve via MSI Afterburner, Deathloop works fine but 3D Mark and Doom Eternal still don't.

Decreasing the power target via Afterburner all the way down to 50% works for Doom Eternal.

Other clues: on the two Gigabyte mobos I tested before, this issue was intermittent and raising the GPU fan speed would usually fix it.

My MB settings are stock, I just applied XMP and Asus performance enhancements are off.

I suspect the issue may be the PSU insufficient for a 5800X in combo with a 1070, but I'm wondering if I could try something else first?

did you fresh install windows with the motherboard/platform change?

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Hi @Skiiwee29 yes it's a fresh W11 install 😉

@pepega overlord I tried with XMP / DOCP disabled and got the same result.

I have done more tests:

Plugged each power connector to a separate PSU PCIe rail and still got the same result.

Plugged GPU power on a single rail but alternating the rail, to see if it's one of the rails that fails.

Still same result... I'm just wondering why this is happening, since this GPU is supposed to draw ~150W and 850W are plenty considering that I only have two NVME SSDs in the system...

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

Brand and model RAM?

Hi @--SID--

Yes, the BIOS is up-to-date. The RAM is made of 4 sticks of Corsair "Vengeance" LPX DDR4 3600.

The GPU is a MSI 1070 Gaming X.

BTW I just tested different power targets with Doom Eternal:

100% to 80% made it crash.

75% seems stable and I played for 10 minutes without problems, then I had to stop to get a telephone call.

Very very weird behaviour. I suspect that if it was the GPU, it would crash with FurMark straight away, but it doesn't so... Smells like a PSU problem to me.

Played Doom Eternal for 15 minutes on 75%... Frozen screen again.