Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how to reinstall windows, cause i put new motherboard?

NoobDaddy

Hello,  linustechtips guys 🙂

how do i install windows again to reset my drivers?

im a little confused cause this is my 1st time swapping motherboards and i didnt build my pc.

if its the same motherboard type (like b550 or z470) as the old one, youll be fine to not reinstall windows.

if not backup what you need to, get a usb drive, download and run the windows media creation tool, let it do its thing, stock settings, then go to the bios and choose the usb drive to boot from.

From there, either chosoe to reinstall windows on the drive keeping personal files, or to wipe the drive and do a full fresh install.

Choose one, then let it do its thing.

then just download what you need once windows in done installing

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

if its the same motherboard type (like b550 or z470) as the old one, youll be fine to not reinstall windows.

if not backup what you need to, get a usb drive, download and run the windows media creation tool, let it do its thing, stock settings, then go to the bios and choose the usb drive to boot from.

From there, either chosoe to reinstall windows on the drive keeping personal files, or to wipe the drive and do a full fresh install.

Choose one, then let it do its thing.

then just download what you need once windows in done installing

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

@NoobDaddyYou can download media creation tool and make a bootable USB drive from the link above

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

Step 1: Download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website (assuming you're gonna go Windows 10). If you're gonna go Windows 11, download Rufus. 

Step 2: Get an 8GB+ flash drive.

Step 3: Run the Media Creation tool and follow the steps. Skip to Step 4 if using Windows 10. 

Step 3a: If you're trying to install Windows 11, run Rufus. Select the drive you wish to install it to.

Step 3b: Change the drop down that says "SELECT" to "DOWNLOAD" and click "DOWNLOAD"

Step 3c: Select Windows 11 from the pop up and click "Continue"

Step 3d: Select the latest build of Windows 11 (currently 21H2), the edition you want, your language, and the architecture (x64).

Step 3e: hit "Download"

Step 3f: hit start and wait for the flash to finish (can take ~5-10 minutes depending on the flash drive you have)

Step 4: Boot into the flash drive. Usually this will involve spamming either F10, F11, F12, or Delete in order to get to the BIOS or Boot Selection Menu, though I have seen more obscure keys like Enter and Escape used for this as well. Select the flash drive to boot from, and boot from that. 

Step 5: Follow the prompts from the Windows installer, selecting the proper drives and everything. If possible to avoid headaches down the road, unplug every drive that isn't going to have Windows installed on it, that way the bootloader doesn't end up on the wrong drive or you don't install it on the wrong drive in general. 

Step 6: Reboot and remove the flash drive before the system fully reboots.

Edited by RONOTHAN##