Is it dying

Stone1288
Go to solution Solved by flaxe,
2 minutes ago, Stone1288 said:

Windows 10. 

Make sure you're running the latest version of windows.

I have an older system with decent hardware in it. However I think it’s starting to show it’s age a little bit.  Need some help trouble shooting so figured I’d come to the people with more knowledge than I. 

specs:

ROG Maximus formula ix

32gb of pny anarchy @3200mhz

nzxt x72

evga supernova 1000w g2

evga 3090 ftw3 ultra

500gb m.2

250gb ssd

8tb seagate hdd

4tb seagate hdd

Before I start getting shite yeah I know the 3090 is a complete overkill and bottle. The intention is to upgrade later this year, however my number came up in the que so I figured what the hell. Probably won’t get another opportunity. Annnnywaaays. 

back before I got my 3090, I started getting random freezes or crashes. It was very sporadic and not very common. I was normally running Cura for my 3D printer so I figured it was just a have a hard time with the load. 

well, shortly after I got my 3090 (December 21), I was playing cyber punk, and I started getting random freezes and black screens, and normally the only way o could get it to clear was by doing a hard reset. 
thought maybe it had something to with the drivers, uninstalled all the drivers using ddu and then did a clean instal and had the same issue. 

Thought ok maybe ram is going bad. Ran a memory test. All clear. 

Said ok, maybe I got unlucky and got a lemon for a card, popped in my strix 2080ti and clean Install of everything again, and same problem. 

figured next would be to try a new riser. Ended up working alright for a little bit and ended up have sporadic freezes again. WTH. 

thought ok, maybe my PSU is taking a hit. 
went ahead and did the jumper test and fan and everything powered on. I even went and bought a psu tester and from what I can tell it all seems good. 

is it possible that I’m having multiple components going bad? Everything I’ve read all the parts I’ve listed seem like thy end up having the same symptoms. 

so here I am. Looking for guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated ladies and gents. 

edit****
I also forgot to mention that the other day I went to go power on and it wouldn’t do a thing. AIO and GPU lit up but no other fans and would not post, but then a little while later it would. So it’s got me all kinda of screwed up. 

Edited by Stone1288
Additional information

You mentioned doing a clean install of your gpu drivers. Instead of downloading the latest version of your gpu drivers, try rolling back to drivers that are known to be stable.

thought ok, maybe my PSU is taking a hit. 
went ahead and did the jumper test and fan and everything powered on. I even went and bought a psu tester and from what I can tell it all seems good. 

Putting a jumper on a powrr supply has nothing to do with how the unit performs. Same with observing a spinning fan.

However your issue was prior to the 3090

4 minutes ago, Stone1288 said:

Thought ok maybe ram is going bad. Ran a memory test. All clear. 

A mem test isnt actually going to reveal anything either. No use testing the memory when the machine isnt having a memory problem at that particular moment.

Pop all but a single stick of ram from that machine. Test each stick alone in the machine and see if that configuration is stable.

Another issue could be that your psu isn't sufficient to run your 3090. The new 3000's series are known to spike up drastically in their power usage. Linus himself actually recommends you get at least a 1200 watt psu (or something around their I don't remember the exact wattage). You also have 32 gb of ram which could contribute to the problem. However, your cpu is lacking a bit so there's a chance it may not be the psu whatsoever. I would still give it a try though.

2 minutes ago, Flaxe said:

Another issue could be that your psu isn't sufficient to run your 3090. The new 3000's series are known to spike up drastically in their power usage. Linus himself actually recommends you get at least a 1200 watt psu (or something around their I don't remember the exact wattage). You also have 32 gb of ram which could contribute to the problem. However, your cpu is lacking a bit so there's a chance it may not be the psu whatsoever. I would still give it a try though.

the problem was present with a 2080ti, so it cant be the lack of power

11 minutes ago, Stone1288 said:

back before I got my 3090, I started getting random freezes or crashes. It was very sporadic and not very common. I was normally running Cura for my 3D printer so I figured it was just a have a hard time with the load. 

By crashes do you mean game crashes or windows crashing?

16 minutes ago, Flaxe said:

Also, what OS are you running?

Windows 10. 

9 minutes ago, rickeo said:

How old is the OS install?

He did a fresh install when he checked it with the 2080ti, so it cant be that

Said ok, maybe I got unlucky and got a lemon for a card, popped in my strix 2080ti and clean Install of everything again, and same problem.

Windows 10. 

Make sure you're running the latest version of windows.

13 minutes ago, Flaxe said:

By crashes do you mean game crashes or windows crashing?

Both. Like I said though, it would only crash under a load. Either while I was using CURA for 3D printing or during certain games. 

14 minutes ago, rickeo said:

How old is the OS install?

Latest update 

12 minutes ago, Stone1288 said:

Latest update 

How old is the os install not " does it have the latest updates"

I would straight up replace a PSU, because it feels it might be unable to supply enough power, I mean 1000w seems like plenty, but maybe it's not working properly in that regard. Multiple parts failing is very unlikely, could happen but I doubt it. Also 7700k and 3090 don't bottleneck each other. Or at least in theory they shouldn't unless you are playing in  fhd which still might not cause any bottlenecking.

Also I wouldn't trust tests completely, ram test at least in my experience, more often fails to detect problems than not.

14 minutes ago, emosun said:

How old is the os install not " does it have the latest updates"

Hell, maybe two or so years maybe. 

reset bios

reseated ram.  and retrained, some boards has a dip switch for memory training. 

export 3rd party drivers.  Export-WindowsDriver –Online -Destination D:\Drivers correct path for where you want them stored. 

reinstalled windows. 

if it still crashes..  try another PSU. 

24 minutes ago, DemiGod said:

I would straight up replace a PSU, because it feels it might be unable to supply enough power, I mean 1000w seems like plenty, but maybe it's not working properly in that regard. Multiple parts failing is very unlikely, could happen but I doubt it. Also 7700k and 3090 don't bottleneck each other. Or at least in theory they shouldn't unless you are playing in  fhd which still might not cause any bottlenecking.

Also I wouldn't trust tests completely, ram test at least in my experience, more often fails to detect problems than not.

This was my suspicion as well, maybe the PSU works fine until stressed to much and can't handle the load. 

20 minutes ago, Scrimpynormal said:

This was my suspicion as well, maybe the PSU works fine until stressed to much and can't handle the load. 

I’ll definitely give it a go. My thing was I didn’t want to buy one thing and it not be it. But this seems to be the general feeling with a few. 

*** Threads merged ***

Please stick to this one thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv