Is upgrading my CPU worth it?

deadbonez

Budget (including currency): CAD $500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Playing triple A titles (1440p) such as RDR2, Elden Ring, God of War, DotA 2 as well as some light spatial data analysis and rendering (GIS).

Other details: Planning on upgrading and just debating if its worth it and if i need to upgrade my PSU as well. Fortunately I'm quite happy with my current build but my biggest regret was not waiting a little bit longer for a better CPU to become available.

I was lucky enough to obtain a 3070 Just before prices sky rocketed, but at the time it pushed my budget back and as a result I had to go a bit cheaper on the CPU hence the 3600x. There was also a shortage on the CPUs and me having secured a graphics card I was eager to get my build together. That being said I am curious If i need to upgrade my power supply to accommodate this upgrade as well... (hindsight is 2020). I would also be selling my CPU to offset the costs or re-using it to for my nephews build if the returns are deemed worth it.

My current build is:

MOBO = MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM  = G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

GPU  = EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA

CPU  = Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz

PSU  = SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified

storage = 1 TB SSD, and 1 500gb NVME SSD.

Thanks in advance!

Do you need a faster cpu?

Do you want a faster cpu?

If you answered yes to either of those, then get it. Is it worth it, that is up to you to decide.

The 5950x should max out at around 250w, the 3070 about the same. The budget you set doesn't allow for that cpu anyway so you're good on the psu and the Seasonic seems to be a solid unit.

Check out a few benchmarks, see if the difference is worth the money and hassle of selling the old cpu.

Personally I would enjoy the system and wait for the next gen ryzen then snag a 5900x or a 5950x at a highly discounted price.

33 minutes ago, deadbonez said:

Budget (including currency): CAD $500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Playing triple A titles (1440p) such as RDR2, Elden Ring, God of War, DotA 2 as well as some light spatial data analysis and rendering (GIS).

Other details: Planning on upgrading and just debating if its worth it and if i need to upgrade my PSU as well. Fortunately I'm quite happy with my current build but my biggest regret was not waiting a little bit longer for a better CPU to become available.

I was lucky enough to obtain a 3070 Just before prices sky rocketed, but at the time it pushed my budget back and as a result I had to go a bit cheaper on the CPU hence the 3600x. There was also a shortage on the CPUs and me having secured a graphics card I was eager to get my build together. That being said I am curious If i need to upgrade my power supply to accommodate this upgrade as well... (hindsight is 2020). I would also be selling my CPU to offset the costs or re-using it to for my nephews build if the returns are deemed worth it.

My current build is:

MOBO = MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM  = G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

GPU  = EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA

CPU  = Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz

PSU  = SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified

storage = 1 TB SSD, and 1 500gb NVME SSD.

Thanks in advance!

If you wanted to upgrade now, you would realize significant gains with a zen3 chip, such as the 5600x or 5800x.

Bonus is that those chips seem to be going on sale quite a bit ever since 12th gen Intel dropped.

I'd totally go for it, but that's just me.

Also, your PSU should be fine with either of those chips.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

No need to upgrade if you're at 60Hz to 144Hz but if you want to push well above 200FPS in most competitive games then upgrade to 5000 series can be of big benefit. 

Though as someone with 3900X and 165Hz 1440p display... I really don't see the need. 

59 minutes ago, deadbonez said:

MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Yea unfortunately this motherboard would probably struggle with higher end CPU's. The max I would throw on this would be the 3700x. However, for your use case, I really don't think you would need a CPU upgrade. I don't think any of the games you listed is particularly CPU heavy.

I would wait for maybe 13 or 14th gen intel or amd equivalent before upgrading anything. Unless you're a heavy multitasker (running multiple programs while gaming), I think the 3600x should be fine for now.