Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the most disgusting computer you've witnessed?

Schnoz

I don't just mean "disgusting" as in "filled with dead bugs and dust"; computers that are horrendous in other ways also count. For instance, devices with 80% idle CPU usage due to bloatware, or those devices that are conspicuously cost-cut into oblivion looking at you, Dell.

I refurbish computers donated to my nonprofit for underserved students, and part of the refurbishment procedure is of course cleaning the device inside and out. Some of the finer examples include:

• A Core 2 Quad Dell Optiplex so clogged with dust that I could pull it out in large handfuls
  • A membrane keyboard so clogged with dead bugs that I had to take it apart and hose it off like I would when washing a car
  • "I don't know why it's not working. Yes, I just installed Windows 11."
  • I was asked to service a computer where the owner wanted a RAM upgrade because 13 out of 16 GB of memory was occupied at idle. Malwarebytes got 5,483 detections.
  • Live crickets in a crusty, stained laptop

I have no idea what I'm doing and no one can stop me.

I (thankfully) haven’t had to do much servicing for devices other than my own, but I found an old tower, an Inspiron, on the side of the road. I opened it up to look.

There was a dead frog in the exhaust fan.

REFRESH BEFORE RESPOND, I EDITED MY POST

Likes animals (especially ducks)

PSA: Don't lie

I own a lot of iDevices.

iPhone3,1 = iPhone 4 (GSM) (Black) = 16GB, iOS 5.1.1 (unlocked)

iPhone3,3 = iPhone 4 (CDMA) (Black) = 16GB, iOS 4.2.6 (locked to Verizon)

iPhone4,1 = iPhone 4S (Black) = 16GB, iOS 9.2.1 (unlocked)

iPad2,5 = iPad mini 1 (Silver) = 6GB, iOS 8.4.1 + 10GB, 6.1.3 (WiFi only)

iPhone5,3 = iPhone 5C (GSM) (Blue) = 32GB, iOS 10.3.3 (locked to AT&T)

iPhone6,1 = iPhone 5S (GSM) (Space Gray) = 16GB, iOS 10.3.3 (locked to TracFone)

iPhone6,1 = iPhone 5S (GSM) (Silver) = 16GB, iOS 11.0.1 (locked to TracFone)

iPhone7,2 = iPhone 6 (Silver) = 16GB, iOS 8.3

iPhone8,1 = iPhone 6S (Space Gray) N71AP = 16GB, iOS 15.0.2 (unlocked)

iPhone9,1 = iPhone 7 (Global) (Midnight Star) = 256GB, iOS 15.1 (unlocked)

I just recently serviced my parents laptop and it was interesting. 4 gigs of ram, Malware because my mom is very worried about cyber attacks. And also the geek squad web root. The dust inside went EVERYWHERE. I think a mask would have been a good idea for this one xD 

my chromebook 😅🙃 in being clutered and dirty at the same time.

@Mel0nManthis is a thread you should post on about that laptop you got 😄

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

A friends PC was acting funny so I offered to look at it... cleaning it fixed everything. The cooler was so bad I replaced it with an AIO I had on hand and the last picture has an HDD in it, see if you can spot it.

IMG_20211003_165816.jpg

IMG_20211003_153928.jpg

IMG_20211003_155111.jpg

IMG_20211003_155304.jpg

Not necessarily like dirty, but I had an older Pavilion laptop (bulldozer APU WITH CROSSFIRE) and the instant that windows detected that it wanted to update the drivers from the last support catalyst driver from 2016, to adrenaline drivers, windows quite literally started killing itself system by system. Turns out it was a custom HP driver that neither AMD or HP had on file anymore, and so bit by bit windows started nuking itself until it finally blew up in June of 2020. Windows did such a thorough job destroying itself that the WD Blue was 100% corrupted, 100% bad sectors, no data recoverable, absolute binary jibberish. It took a secure erase for the drive to be able to hold actual data again. Thank you Windows 1904.

Cats peeing on laptops. Never figured out the evolutionary compulsion for that. Waiting for Louis Rossman to do a video on it 🙂

Most extreme 'dirty' PC I encountered was at a furniture plant. They had a bunch of Gateway 486 towers being used as citrix clients. Some of those big towers were literally half full of sawdust with the CPU and MB buried....and still working! We took pictures and sent them to the CEO who had a big laugh. Why gateway made towers that big has always baffled me.

Nastiest PCs were at a movie theater behind the concession counter. Old popcorn butter and soda syrup forms something like semi bio degradable silicone...and also traps cockroaches and dead mice. Glad that place closed 

Worst PC design were Dell 420s. Those were the infamous clamshell cases you had to stand on to push them together if you dared open them. 

There used to be a desktop theme for windows that made various system sounds turn into babies gurgling and laughing, etc. Office women loved it. I hated it and wanted to punch the inventor in the mouth. 

There's always the kid who likes to see how fast he can get a CPU fan spinning with an industrial air compressor while blowing dust out of a dirty PC case. "BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ". Seeing the CPU fan shatter while being blasted at a zillion RPM and smack the abuser In the forehead is beyond funny. Took me 20minutes to stop laughing at him. He could have lost an eye. It still would have been funny.

Some of Microsoft's idiot antics over the years I've encountered could fill a whole thread. Most were amusing in a way. Some were not.

Had a dude hand me a laptop to fix. Opened it up, the keyboard and screen were covered in skin flakes.

I put that laptop on a shelf and told everyone nobody should ever touch that again

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Dust bunny the size of my fist, the intakes were about 1 cm of layered dust, the heatsink was completely covered, and a fine layer of airplane exhaust lay on all surfaces.  This is a computer that was deployed less than a year prior and was "acting weirdly"

There was also a tea filled laptop, it wasn't exactly disgusting but the person was disgusted when I opened it up in the office after they "dried it" and proceeded to pour out liquid that had pooled everywhere.

The most "disgusting" without being "dirty" would be a co-worker who used the USB sticks that were deemed abandoned in the Lost and Found (any IT persons nightmare)...also the lead IT have his password not changed for 10+ years [he had made himself exempt from the password group policy] (I checked the domain controller, and his password hadn't changed for so long).

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

anything with cigarette smoke damage

it leaves a sticky thin yellow film on everything and reeks. it's like the computer was dipped in pee. I had to clean a rare powermac that had smoke damage

I just cracked open my dads comp, it is bad n here, the inside was worse I had to use an electric air pump outside on my balcony to get rid of the inside

89B3C868-2015-41F8-AE96-62908EE548D0.jpeg

image.jpg

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

3 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

I just cracked open my dads comp, it is bad n here, the inside was worse I had to use an electric air pump outside on my balcony to get rid of the inside

image.jpg

My Dad would've called it :
"A well used electronic. It served it's master well"

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

9 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

image.jpg

Now thats alotta dust

Does it still work tho?

my laptop keyboard gets super gunked up cause I have hyperhidrosis on my hands (excessive sweating), it smh builds up and creates a thin screen of gunk on my laptop. I have to get a tissue and a tooth pick and clean it every 4 days. nasty stuff
saw a tv on the road that looked in perfect conditon. opened it up annd there was a colony of ants at the air vent
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

Water damaged unibody MBP

Spoiler

image.png.969a8a0633445c75b89aeaf69a6af98d.png

Obliterated Latitude (it works somehow)

Spoiler

image.png.d4dc1ff4ab33c1f17000281f18c3faa8.png

image.png.3fcfe4b62b237e11693274ba6889355e.png

Then I've had to clean smoke damaged stuff but don't have pictures.

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

I'm not a professional, just an enthusiast. I don't know everything.

HGST Ultrastar: The last HDD you'll ever need to buy.

"Water damaged" Gaming PC. The owner hadn't noticed, but his cat had taken a piss on top of his PC, while it was on. The smell.. It still haunts me to this day. Apart from the sea of dried cat urine, it was pretty dirty and full of nicotine dust, like this suff:

smoking | stewart a.

Owner claimed it was broken and it needed to be fixed on warranty.. 😄

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

For a while I was helping an older man with his computer issues. He was a chain smoker, and his computer keyboard was covered in residue. Not so much that it stopped me from helping him, but in hindsight... ew. I'm surprised he was even still alive with that kind of smoking habit.

Not related to computers, but related to disgusting and smoke damage. A friend of mine who lives in the old coal regions, asked if I could help fix a few little things in their kitchen because I work for a contractor, and being the person I am I said "sure, no problem".  knew that they were all heavy smokers of various things(except her) and when I went in there with my N95 on for the smell, the walls had nicotine condensation drips on the walls, the floors felt tacky like someone had coated them in glue stick glue, and everything was coated in like 1/16in of nicotine and like amber in color. When I took the respirator off after 2 hours, the entire rim was caked in aerosolized nicotine. I took the longest and most intense shower of my life. And I've dealt with some pretty disgusting things before.

I had a client drop his laptop in a vat of chicken grease.

No, don't ask me how he managed to do that...

Needless to say, so system didn't work any more.

And I'll 3rd, or 4th the heavy smoker's PC. It got so I"d charge extra for working on those systems.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I had a client drop his laptop in a vat of chicken grease.

That's probably one of the worst things a laptop could fall into

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

I'm not a professional, just an enthusiast. I don't know everything.

HGST Ultrastar: The last HDD you'll ever need to buy.

Worked my way through college as a tech (early '00s) as the "Mac guy".

One of the professors in the building I serviced was a chain smoker and generally dirty. I brought my own mouse and keyboard in my backpack whenever I needed to help him with anything on his poorly-treated beige PowerMac G3 mini-tower.

One day he brought in his home computer (the exact same model as his work PowerMac G3) for me to check out because it would "randomly turn off" in the middle of him using it. It was covered in brown goop inside and out, which turned out to be a candle he had allowed to melt on top of the mini-tower. He was outraged when I pointed out that this was a problem and even moreso when I quoted him $100 to fully clean the machine and get it back to fighting shape. He figured it was part of my duties working for the university and I disagreed.

He paid up, and it took me 6 hours (all on the clock lol) to actually find and clean all the wax because of the awful browny-green color blending in with the PCB and nicotine tar/dust. I could only really see the brown wax after I cleaned the nicotine off of everything ELSE in the machine.

I don't know how the thing was running at all. There was wax in the RAM slots, in the power supply... everywhere.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

That's probably one of the worst things a laptop could fall into

Yeah, the guy was a researcher in Mathematics, so it wasn't like keeping a vat of chicken grease around his office was part of his job.

And even if it was....why would you put your laptop near that??

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

I was "gifted" a machine (cast off from my dad's job) that had previously been used for controlling an industrial CNC machine (so big that you couldn't cover the work area, if you can see where I'm going...). Every vent and moving surface in that machine was caked with cutting fluid with various kinds of dust mixed in.

To my delight though, the motherboard (and ergo CPU) was relatively clean, and at the time (2013/14) was the most powerful desktop computer I'd been able to get my (student income) hands on (P45 with a Q8300 and 4GB of DDR2). With some tweaking and a GPU, it became my first daily driver desktop (Kshatriya, see signature).

---

Other stories:

• Every tech's nightmare of "smoker computer", though thankfully my example wasn't terrible.
  • I was handed more than one desktop from the same person all of which "had issues". They were also filled with dust and pet hair (angora rabbit). Not sure if that had anything to do with it, though.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 3800XT | Asus B350-F Strix | Corsair H80i V2 | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz CAS-14 | XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II | Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / Samsung 970 EVO 500GB / UMIS SSD 256GB / Crucial MX500 2TB / WD White 7200RPM 8TB | Corsair CX650M | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Anidees AI-07BW Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Microsoft Modern Keyboard

TrueNAS Server (Veda): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 2x 1TB HGST 2.5" / 1x Samsung PM961 128GB SSD / 1x Kingston 16GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i LBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta): Core i7-2600 | Asus H77M-PRO | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR3 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | Sandisk UltraII SSD 64GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Syba USB3.1 Gen 2 Card | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Laptop (Rozen-ZuluSony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Kingston 120GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Tablet (---): Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (crosses fingers)
Tablet (ReGZ): Asus T102HA (BIOS clock doesn't tick, loses time when sleep/off) (I kill tablets with disturbing regularity)

Tablet (Unicorn): Surface Pro 2 (battery will reset total capacity to current charge, leading Windows to think it's always 100% charged until it dies)

Tablet (Loto): Dell Venue 8 Pro (screen discoloration issues, wouldn't update to Windows 10)

Tablet: iPad 2 16GB (WiFi died, basically useless after that)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M (?) | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | NZXT H230 Case

Camera: Sony ɑ7II (w/ Meike Grip) | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance SDXC cards

Not exactly a computer but the microfiche reader at the town's library was filthy with all kind of greasy fingerprints everywhere, the front glass covered in stains never cleaned, I ended up servicing it because the lamp was gone and the "official" technician the library calls wanted to charge say $300 when the problem was literally the lamp, the guy told the librarian it with that it was "a rare model", it took me 40 seconds to find a replacement in my workshop.

The inside was full of dead daddy longlegs spiders and webs so I gave it a nice wash.

Chainsmoker tales I have multiple, but they don't differ by a lot by the posted above so I'll skip them, we all know the brown goo.

There was an important flood due to heavy rains a couple years ago and a lot of houses were flooded to the ceiling, had to fix a couple things for a grocery store that had lost mostly everything, it had been on the roof for days after it was taken out of the water, both the case and monitor were full of mud, leaves and other debris, the water wasn't exactly clean coming from gurgling sewers so the smell was terrible, it took days to get the mud out and more to wash the parts to see if something was salvageable.

The hard drive was gone, no way to take the water out and the plates were beyond recovery anyway. PSU had shorted and a fuse was blown, amazingly it still worked upon installing a new fan.

The CPU was fine, mobo still worked but most caps were leaking and the video output was damaged as someone had tried to remove the monitor cable by pulling without unscrewing the connector first and since that wasn't working decided to cut the cable.

CD and floppy drives were full of mud but not damaged so they only required cleaning.

Monitor worked like a charm after a full cleaning and drying, nothing was damaged.

Newbs and technicians who only do it for the money would've told the owner to throw it away, but not me. 

Using a shitcoin irl