Need Help Regarding dead PSU.

Guest Gamertaku

My pc stopped turning on altogether after power outage. Technician told me that psu is dead.

• My question is, that is there a chance that other components of my pc are also damaged ? like the cpu/motherboard/gpu/HDD/SSD ?

Technician connected a test psu to my pc and connected a monitor via the hdmi port of my gpu and the bios/uefi screen showed up.

Sorry for the long question, I'm new here !

10 minutes ago, Gamertaku said:

• My question is, that is there a chance that other components of my pc are also damaged ? like the cpu/motherboard/gpu/HDD/SSD ?

Yes, any one of those could be fried. Since it does power up and POST, the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and GPU are probably fine. If they were dead they would just fail to boot, not be sort of dead and just be really unstable. 

SSD and HDD are where you want to be worried. They run on a different voltage rail, so it's possible that they got fried and everything else didn't. It will again be that if they don't show up, they're dead and if they do show up, they're working just fine. 

No, If the PSU died after being unexpectedly shut off. Your system is Probably fine. The only time you need to worry about your components is when your psu blows up or catches fire.

2 hours ago, Gamertaku said:

My pc stopped turning on altogether after power outage. Technician told me that psu is dead.

Technician connected a test psu to my pc and connected a monitor via the hdmi port of my gpu and the bios/uefi screen showed up.

Sorry for the long question, I'm new here !

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes, any one of those could be fried. Since it does power up and POST, the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and GPU are probably fine. If they were dead they would just fail to boot, not be sort of dead and just be really unstable. 

SSD and HDD are where you want to be worried. They run on a different voltage rail, so it's possible that they got fried and everything else didn't. It will again be that if they don't show up, they're dead and if they do show up, they're working just fine. 

Thanks ! Thats a relief 😄

1 hour ago, WickedThunder86 said:

No, If the PSU died after being unexpectedly shut off. Your system is Probably fine. The only time you need to worry about your components is when your psu blows up or catches fire.

Thanks ! I understand 🙂

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I have an M.2 wd green ssd, will that be affected ? since its directly plugged into the motherboard ?

8 minutes ago, Gamertaku said:

I have an M.2 wd green ssd, will that be affected ? since its directly plugged into the motherboard ?

Probably not, since that should be using 12v IIRC. There's only really one way to find out though, try and power it on.

I'm a bit surprised the shop you took it to didn't test all the drives and everything once they plugged in the bench PSU. 

20 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Probably not, since that should be using 12v IIRC. There's only really one way to find out though, try and power it on.

I'm a bit surprised the shop you took it to didn't test all the drives and everything once they plugged in the bench PSU. 

Well, the guy at the store plugged in the bench psu and told me that 'only' the psu was damaged, so i guess he already checked my sata HDD to see if it was spinning or not 🤷