Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help with a theoretical display setup.

Once upon a time, I had 3 monitors and a small TV. The monitors are for my gaming desktop, the TV was a cheap external display I could use to play my various consoles and retain my 3 monitors for the PC. I attempted to use the TV as a 4th monitor for a bit but after some time turned off, Windows 10 will essentially "forget" the monitor (even though it remains plugged in) and then recombobulate my existing monitors which was annoying. After a few instances of that, I gave up on using the TV as a 4th.

Fast forward to today, and I have purchased a new monitor and retired the small TV. So I now have 4 monitors connected to my PC. I'd like to replicate my previous setup and have my consoles routed to one of my monitors, but fiddling with buttons on my monitors to swap inputs was annoying so I had the idea of using an HDMI switch attached to a monitor. However, I'm running into my old problem. When using the HDMI switch to swap to an input that is not my PC, Windows 10 "loses" the monitor and recombobulates the existing ones. Any ideas on what I could do to fix this? Is there a specific HDMI switch I should look at, something I need to tweak on the Windows end, or the monitors end, or some other device I should look into? I don't have room in my current setup to bring the TV back out. 

Have you tried using and HDMI cable from one of your working monitors into the new one to make sure its not the cable that's the problem?

10 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

Have you tried using and HDMI cable from one of your working monitors into the new one to make sure its not the cable that's the problem?

Yeah, I've got a few spare HDMI cables from other projects and it's not a cable issue.

look into EDID emulator to keep the window think there is still HDMI output device being connected.

I don't how EDID emulator works with different HDMI version but that would be the easiest hardware solution.