QoS on router behind other router

crozo_

Hello!

I have a problem with a digital TV device that my ISP gave us as part of our subscription.

The family is quite fond of the thing however when they try to record something with it the internet on all other devices becomes unstable.

It's a 1080p stream so it's less than 10% of our total bandwidth so it doesn't really make sense to me.

I was searching the internet looking for a way to change the priority of the traffic and behold: quality of service exists.

Naturally not a feature on the modem + router all-in-one device the ISP gave us.

Which brings me to my question.

If I install a second router behind that modem+router device as a second separate subnet, can I use QoS on that second router even if the other modem+router device doesn't support it?

28 minutes ago, crozo_ said:

If I install a second router behind that modem+router device as a second separate subnet, can I use QoS on that second router even if the other modem+router device doesn't support it?

Without knowing what exact ISP device you have, it's difficult to say.

More than likely you'll only be able to do this if you put the gateway in bridge or passthrough mode, essentially turning off router functionality. However, you might lose digital TV. I'd advise you contact your ISP before attempting this.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

Without knowing what exact ISP device you have, it's difficult to say.

More than likely you'll only be able to do this if you put the gateway in bridge or passthrough mode, essentially turning off router functionality. However, you might lose digital TV. I'd advise you contact your ISP before attempting this.

The device is a "ch7465lg-tn"
The FAQ on their website does list the possibility to set up a separate subnet to keep keep the router functionalities.

I would assume those include QoS then.
I will contact them about the digital TV.

Perhaps the TV box only works when connected to their router which has the chance to invalidate my idea as well.

Videos typically get downloaded in 5- to 10-second chunks, so you should think of it like using 100% of your bandwidth 10% of the time.

If you're not sure, you can run a bufferbloat test to confirm.