SFF randomly freezes and BSODs 😭

zbrak
Go to solution Solved by DANK_AS_gay,
6 minutes ago, zbrak said:

When I do both GPU & CPU at the same time for longer than 40 mins, I get system shutdown because the PSU is getting overheated. Then I need to wait about 5 mins until the PSU cools down to be able to turn it ON again. I'm running out of ideas. If it's not RAM (passed MemTest86), GPU (FurMark can run for hours), CPU (Prime95 can run for hours) or PSU, why does it freeze then?

You just said it yourself, your PSU is overheating/you are tripping the overdraw protection. You need a higher wattage PSU to use your top of the line components. Don't keep pushing your PSU like that though, that's when catastrophic failure occurs.

Hey guys, I have a newly assembled SFF mini-ITX PC, which freezes or randomly gives BSODs (sometimes 0xc000021a, or different) in Windows 11. It will even freeze or give BSOD when left idle on the login screen, and I do nothing. And not only in Windows, when I booted Ubuntu from the USB stick I got a few freezes too. But only when I do some random stuff like browsing websites or when I open a GParted app on Ubuntu. I already tested RAM with MemTest86 which took hours, and passed with no errors, and no freezes during the test process. When I test the GPU with FurMark under Ubuntu, it runs normally for hours without any freezes (maxes on 83 deg.). Same when I test CPU under Ubuntu with Prime95 it also can run for hours with no freezes (maxes on 79 deg.). When I do both GPU & CPU at the same time for longer than 40 mins, I get system shutdown because the PSU is getting overheated. Then I need to wait about 5 mins until the PSU cools down to be able to turn it ON again. I'm running out of ideas. If it's not RAM (passed MemTest86), GPU (FurMark can run for hours), CPU (Prime95 can run for hours) or PSU, why does it freeze then? My case is using PCIe x16 Gen3 riser cable, and I set Gen3 in BIOS for GPU and chipset. My RAM doesn't use XMP, I have it set to DDR4-3000 in BIOS. It's worth to mention that right before it freezes my mouse cursor is jagging, so sometimes I'm able to predict it's going to freeze in a minute or so.

I already watched Anthony's troubleshoot video:

But had no luck with finding what's causing issues... 😭
Is it a broken motherboard?

How to troubleshoot more?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x32GB) CMK64GX4M2D3600C18
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
MB: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3
SSD1 (OS): Samsung SSD 980 PRO 500GB M.2 MZ-V8P500BW
SSD2 (Games): Samsung SSD 860 PRO 2TB SATA MZ-76P2T0B
PSU: Corsair SF Series SF750 750W
Cooler: Corsair iCUE H60i RGB PRO XT
Case: Thor Zone MJOLNIR S Steel with Performance Panels

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

6 minutes ago, zbrak said:

When I do both GPU & CPU at the same time for longer than 40 mins, I get system shutdown because the PSU is getting overheated. Then I need to wait about 5 mins until the PSU cools down to be able to turn it ON again. I'm running out of ideas. If it's not RAM (passed MemTest86), GPU (FurMark can run for hours), CPU (Prime95 can run for hours) or PSU, why does it freeze then?

You just said it yourself, your PSU is overheating/you are tripping the overdraw protection. You need a higher wattage PSU to use your top of the line components. Don't keep pushing your PSU like that though, that's when catastrophic failure occurs.

You are tripping one of the protection circuits and need a PSU with a higher capacity. Having to turn the PSU back on before it'll work again is the tell-tale sign. I have that same PSU with a 5800x and 3090 FE but my CPU is undervolted and GPU bone stock (350W max).

Cooler Master makes an 850W and Silverstone I believe makes a 1000W SFX-L unit if you can fit those.

Yea the bare minimum for that set up would be an 850w PSU, but the recommended would be 1000w. 

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

7 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I second this, the 6900xt recommends at least an 850w.

If you can't afford another PSU, you will have to downclock your GPU and maybe GPU and even then that's no guarantee.

2 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Thanks for a reply @DANK_AS_gay but I think your diagnose is not correct, and it's not PSU.
I played with WattMan to reduce GPU power usage. Same I did with CPU in BIOS. Still freezes.
How is it PSU when it freezes randomly on idle? Sometime on a login screen with completely cold machine.
Also it never resets when freezes, only resets when pushed to the absolute max after extended period of time (40 mins or longer).

Just now, zbrak said:

Thanks for a reply @DANK_AS_gay but I think your diagnose is not correct, and it's not PSU.
I played with WattMan to reduce GPU power usage. Same I did with CPU in BIOS. Still freezes.
How is it PSU when it freezes randomly on idle? Sometime on a login screen with completely cold machine.
Also it never resets when freezes, only resets when pushed to the absolute max after extended period of time (40 mins or longer).

Could be background Windows tasks spiking your wattage and tripping the Overcurrent Protection. Plus, those issues may be unrelated. It's a fact that you need at least an 850W PSU for your 6900XT, so even if your PSU isn't faulty, it needs a bit more horsepower to be able to supply that GPU CPU combo, especially at full load. I couldn't tell you what the random freezes at idle are for 100% certain, but the freezes while under stress are caused by your underpowered PSU. (WattMan can't drop your current draw by 100W unless you shoot the kneecaps out of your system).

1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Could be background Windows tasks spiking your wattage and tripping the Overcurrent Protection. Plus, those issues may be unrelated. It's a fact that you need at least an 850W PSU for your 6900XT, so even if your PSU isn't faulty, it needs a bit more horsepower to be able to supply that GPU CPU combo, especially at full load. I couldn't tell you what the random freezes at idle are for 100% certain, but the freezes while under stress are caused by your underpowered PSU. (WattMan can't drop your current draw by 100W unless you shoot the kneecaps out of your system).

Wouldn't tripping the Overcurrent Protection reset the system?
As I mentioned it only resets when pushed to the max for an extended period of time... But it freezes randomly.

I see a repeating pattern that everyone's telling me to get a more powerful PSU.
I will get a 1000W PSU and test it again.

9 minutes ago, zbrak said:

As I mentioned it only resets when pushed to the max for an extended period of time... But it freezes randomly.

I see a repeating pattern that everyone's telling me to get a more powerful PSU.

No, it does exactly what you're describing and shuts the system down. To turn the system back on you have to reset the physical switch on the PSU which is what you described happens.

You need a higher capacity PSU, there is no way around it.

3 minutes ago, zbrak said:

I mean, there are a ton of factors at play with the freezing instead of shutting off. The 1000W PSU would better serve your parts, it may not fix all of your issues, but instability can also be a result of PSU taxation. Remember the LTT vid called "We broke the wrong record: RTX overclocking"? Granted that case is more extreme, but the system was freezing 1st because the PSU was incapable of handling that load, then 2nd because the power from the wall was too unstable, not supplying quite the right power. They hooked the system up to a $15K UPS in the server room.
Your situation is not quite the same, but you can see the parallels. Your PSU is a high end 750W PSU, and PSU's are technically capable of 70-80 more watts of power over their ratings, especially when made with nicer components, so it may have been barely making the minimum, until it overheated or wasn't quite stable enough to keep the GPU from freezing/crashing.

Thanks guys, I will definitely get a 850W or 1000W PSU and report back.

SF750 is a very good PSU but very good PSU's still have limits if you have crazy hardware. Mine has been fine so far with 5800x/3090. 

Glad it worked out for you in the end!

One more update on this topic.

Cooler Master 850W SFX 80 Plus Gold was causing a massive coil whine with AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT running anything above 200 FPS.

I replaced it with Silverstone 1000W SFX-L 80 Plus Platinum, and now it's almost dead silent.
It was a huge hassle to put SFX-L PSU both with AIO cooling H60i from Corsair in the Thor Zone MJOLNIR case, but with a little bit of tinkering was possible.